Why become a member? ×

Loving my sound / heavy cabinet though...

JohnFitzgerald

Had another run out last night with the Trace AH150 and the Peavey 410BX.

I can't seem to bring myself to do anything other than plug the Jazz bass active into it, both pickups on, EQ flat.
Engage pre shape, no EQ. Compressor set about 12 O''clock, there it is, just a great sound.

Currently running with the trim pot on the HF horn about 50 % and that leaves it sounding crisp but not too brittle.

With the pre gain set to just peak into the green area and the post gain at 1.5 out of 10, it keeps up with two Marshalls.

Who would've thought that such a great setup could be put together for £160.

If only the cab didn't wieght more than Luxembourg.

Might have to look into one of those modern light cabs.
It'll have to sound as good as this incredible old Peavey though.

I used to run a 'classic' Trace Elliot rig and considered it to be 'my sound'. Loved it. Back prevented doing it any more. Now use TC Classic 450 into a Barefaced Compact and it is tonally better. I had kind of bought into the whole Trace Elliot thing - a local firm to me, funky colour light etc but that sort of wafty branding is the only aspect of it I miss. But as soon as I plug in and play all that is forgotten. Well, before then, really - loading it all into the car - the whole rig weighs 16kg vs nearly 50kg (sometimes nearly 60kg if I used the 18" cab!).

The amp head is no bind at all. It's light enough to be no problem at all. It's one of the ones with a briefcase handle on the end. Put it this way, our lead guitarist brings a couple of Les Pauls and each of those are heavier than my amp head, so that's no real issue.

The cab though.
I could do with that bein lighter.

Maybe a TC cab, just like the one McNach just bought :-)

Those Peavey cabs have a great sound. Very distinct. One of the easiest cabs to listen to, without seeing, and go "I know what make cab that is".

Agree, they are very heavy though. A bassist in an old band I was in had one of the 410s, and it weighed something like 110 lbs. Ouch!

[quote name='JohnFitzgerald' timestamp='1321791035' post='1442997']
Yeah, I think it's the heaviest lift we have.

Would be great for a residency.
[/quote]

If you really love the sound and are handy enough with woodworking, you could check the weight of the drivers in the Peavey and work out how much they're contributing to the weight compared to the cabinet. I suspect the cab is pretty heavy. Lightweight 12mm premium poplar ply can be had for about £40-50 for a 1220x2500 sheet. You could build a cab clone (with additional bracing if you go with the thinner 12mm ply) and swap the drivers and hardware over. The weight difference between poplar and birch (or MDF which I suspect a lot of these heavy cabs are made from) is considerable.

I use 2x210 as an alternative to a 410... the lift is decent even with non Neo

If you are buying, you might find that the 210 build is different internally combined dimension-wise, but if you are making your own and are a good enough cabinet maker..you should be able to navigate this...

Fat and thump yes.
Sharp top too, but that would be the HF component.

If I'm being super critical, there's a bit of the mid that I like ever so slightly missing.
I'm loathe to start EQing it back in though.
I view EQ as being something you use to fix a problem and by exception, not to get your voice in the first instance.

As an asides, once we got the mains on last night, the sound was mega through the PA.
Bring in the sidefills and that missing middle just comes back.

Still, if there's something I can do to lighten the load, I will.

Alex, I would have one of your cabs in a minute, but although the GAS may be willing, the wallet is weak. :)