Why become a member? ×

Creating a big (12 string) sound with a 4 string bass

warwickhunt

[quote name='Bassmurf' timestamp='1321724941' post='1442485']
One thing I used when I had my 8 string was to get a mono jack to stereo jack adapter then whacked it into the bass jack socket then one output went to my bass rig and then the other output to a guitar amp...did have many compliments on the sound!
[/quote]

I'd still have the problem outlined above, in that the guitar rig would be getting the full range (ie very LOW) signal from the bass and the guitar cab that I have just isn't coping with anything below about D (technically a lot lower when you consider the lower octaves being generated by the Boss pedal)! :)

• 2 weeks later...

You could always stick a small mixer in front of the rigs and re EQ the output to the guitar amp to trim
the bottom end off. A guitar amp is never going to put enough out to carry to an audience without the
speakers dying.

I'd still say you'll never get a 12 strings ound from a 4 string. I reckon you'll be very happy with the sound
if you get an 8 string bass and a mix of 10 / 15" speakers.

Edited by 12stringbassist

[quote name='12stringbassist' timestamp='1322503558' post='1451726']
You could always stick a small mixer in front of the rigs and re EQ the output to the guitar amp to trim
the bottom end off. A guitar amp is never going to put enough out to carry to an audience without the
speakers dying.

I'd still say you'll never get a 12 strings ound from a 4 string. I reckon you'll be very happy with the sound
if you get an 8 string bass and a mix of 10 / 15" speakers.
[/quote]

I ran it the other day at rehearsal very much as you suggested and the nature of amplifying treble meant that I didn't need to crank the guitar combo too much for it to be heard. However when I simply ran the full range effected signal into my rig it sounded better BUT saying all of that it didn't sound anything like the 12 string sound of TP (the effects actually octave the root note an octave and TWO down :) hence it sounded a bit much/mulch)! I very nearly got the Waterstone on ebay but the guy pulled the auction due to a lack of interest, possibly for the best as I'd actually much prefer a Hamer B12... chances of finding; nil. :)

Er...
No expert on such matters ( I don't use FX) but I notice that setting a pitch-shifter back to "flat" gives an awesome semi-chorus. It reproduces the input note again with the delay caused by processing time. That'd give you the sound of the 2nd and 3rd courses, all you need is something (another pitch-shifter?) to give the octave "up" without too much latency (good luck with that at low pitches if not using midi!)

Otherwise, the Variax has 8 and 12-string models (one of which is based on a Hagstrom IIRC)
I was meddling with one in a music shop and put it onto the 12 string model and cracked out a well-delivered opening few bars of "Jeremy" That made a lot of people turn round! (not my intent! I was just trying it out!!)

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' timestamp='1322518000' post='1452124']
Er...
No expert on such matters ( I don't use FX) but I notice that setting a pitch-shifter back to "flat" gives an awesome semi-chorus. It reproduces the input note again with the delay caused by processing time. That'd give you the sound of the 2nd and 3rd courses, all you need is something (another pitch-shifter?) to give the octave "up" without too much latency (good luck with that at low pitches if not using midi!)

Otherwise, the Variax has 8 and 12-string models (one of which is based on a Hagstrom IIRC)
I was meddling with one in a music shop and put it onto the 12 string model and cracked out a well-delivered opening few bars of "Jeremy" That made a lot of people turn round! (not my intent! I was just trying it out!!)
[/quote]

Oddly enough I sold a Variax about 2 years ago... contacting the buyer to see if he has it only just yesterday. :)