Why become a member? ×

What's the going rate for Xmas and NYE ?

bethnalgreen

I know this is a bit of a "how long's a piece of string" question but using the following parameters:

- Five-piece covers band been building a good reputation in the local pubs for the past year
- Normally charge £250 for a Fri or Sat night pub gig
- Hertfordshire based

We've been asked to do a pub gig the week before Xmas (17/12) and a separate pub gig on New Year's Eve. We've gigged both pubs before so they like us.

The 17/12 might warrant a slight uplift?

For NYE, I don't yet know if the pub will charge an entry fee, but what would others feel is a reasonable performance fee?

Thanks.

Well I think, for what its worth, If its a usual £250 fee and its a pub where people come and see you/go down well, double to your fee for new year, is not unreasonable and not too greedy.
be careful not to "bite the hand that feeds" if its a regular pub gig and especially they support you throughout the year!
The likes of Crez(ect on the forum), is in a "Proper" pro function band will go out for lots & lots more that night ie xmas/NY eve
(I'm only guessing that youre describing a similar situation to me where you play most weekends to regular crowds and band/landlord have "symbiotic" type deal.)
in short double, usual fee and possibly a wee bit more (£100) for NY is fair and if its a busy place, Thats fair.
the key is to negotiate dont pitch too low though, It could be your night off too! otherwise!
hope this helps in some way

It really depends what you'll work for...

We decided we would want £200-250 per man for a 5 piece and a 2 hr set
but since that is unlikely, we aren't going to bother.

If you will work for £100 per man, then that seems a reasonable fee to ask for.
I'd put NY's above xmas eve money-wise...and if the pub is ticketed, I'd ask for £750 for NYE...

Like you've already stated - it does depend on who you are, where you are and the type of venue / gig.

We're out on NYE - 3rd year running at the same venue. It's pretty local (which is good because my wife will be 8 1/2 months pregnant so I can be on call to shoot over to the hospital if needs be) there's a full house PA with eng supplied - it's a 'proper' venue so it's got proper gear. We also get looked after with meals etc.
We're doing it for £1800.00 - it's nothing like double our normal fee but given the locality of it, the fact that the PA and Eng are provided etc we're happy with that.

Re christmas gigs - we've got a load of party nights at a local(ish) nice spa hotel. Again, we've done this for the last 3 or so years and we do quite a lot of work there.
We're doing them for roughly £900 per gig as they're all 1 hr sets, they're on consecutive days (its like Thurs, fri, sat and sun) so we can leave the gear set up - 1 load in and set up, 1 pack down and load out.

The singer in my band is doing a solo gig on NYE and he's getting £900!! Xmas eve, my bands playing a local pub, it gets very, very busy every year, we've asked for £100 per member. Thats a 5 piece band.. We was offered a gig on Xmas eve at another place and was asked to play for £200, no thanks! We charge between £200 and £300 on a normal night, depending on how busy the place gets when they have live bands on. The band could of played a pub on NYE for £1200 but its pointless when our singer is else where and earning £900 for himself.

• 2 weeks later...

Bit late I know but we just got booked for NYE at a very busy pub / club in a market town for £500 for a 4 piece covers band. We had to turn down umpteen offers of £200 which we saw as a p### take as we usually go for £300 and have been getting really good reviews. We've seen other bands around us getting their prices squeezed lower and lower recently as the financial climate gets worse.

My main band normally got out for £250-350, depending on venue. We're playing two of our regular venues on Christmas eve eve eve (i.e 22nd) for £550 and NYE for £700 (plus all the booze we can drink, plus rooms). We're a guaranteed draw at both places so it wasn't hard to bump the fee up.