Why become a member? ×

Has anyone here upgraded their Sandberg? Pickup advice

martfitz

I've got a Sandberg JM4 which I'm thinkg of changing the pickups on.

It's a really really well made bass and plays great but I just find the pickups really weak compared to my Yamahas, even when using it in active.

I've got another bass with EMG's in it which just sounds really immense, so thinking about those.

What other pickups have other people on here changed on their Jazzes/Stingrays?

All advice and experiences welcome :)

I found that it took me a while to get used to the Sandberg sound. Neither the pickups or preamp are weak, but they are inherently VERY bright sounding basses, and the Glockenklang preamp is very transparent. The controls are quite sensitive; a small adjustment can affect the sound quite a bit! The fact that the sound is so clear and defined can make you think that it's not very gutsy, when in fact it is. When I first got my Basic, I tended to have the treble rolled off a lot, and the bass boosted a lot because I was under the same impression. The first time I gigged it, friends in the crowd kept telling me to turn down because all they could hear and feel was my bass! It wasn't that I was in fact too loud, it was just so bassy that I was overpowering everything else and turning peoples innards to mush!

Have you had the bass long? If not, I would giving it a good chance and see if you can make it work for you. The pickups and preamp are very good quality, although like I said, these basses are very bright, clear and defined, although they're pretty versatile IMO. If you want a vintage, muddy or woolly sound, I would suggest finding a different bass.

Hope this helps.

• Thanks 1

i had Harry Haussel pickups fitted by the factory on mine as they give off a more vintage growl rather than the more modern bright hifi sounding Delano's. These are what Sandberg tend to recommend if you wanted something different. in a word, they are MEGA!! Really seem to give off a more Fender vibe but with a kick up the backside :) Great pickups!

[quote name='longtimefred' timestamp='1321464985' post='1439543']
i had Harry Haussel pickups fitted by the factory on mine as they give off a more vintage growl rather than the more modern bright hifi sounding Delano's. These are what Sandberg tend to recommend if you wanted something different. in a word, they are MEGA!! Really seem to give off a more Fender vibe but with a kick up the backside :) Great pickups!
[/quote]

That's good to know - thanks a lot

[quote name='TRBboy' timestamp='1321464264' post='1439531']
I found that it took me a while to get used to the Sandberg sound. Neither the pickups or preamp are weak, but they are inherently VERY bright sounding basses, and the Glockenklang preamp is very transparent. The controls are quite sensitive; a small adjustment can affect the sound quite a bit! The fact that the sound is so clear and defined can make you think that it's not very gutsy, when in fact it is. When I first got my Basic, I tended to have the treble rolled off a lot, and the bass boosted a lot because I was under the same impression. The first time I gigged it, friends in the crowd kept telling me to turn down because all they could hear and feel was my bass! It wasn't that I was in fact too loud, it was just so bassy that I was overpowering everything else and turning peoples innards to mush!

Have you had the bass long? If not, I would giving it a good chance and see if you can make it work for you. The pickups and preamp are very good quality, although like I said, these basses are very bright, clear and defined, although they're pretty versatile IMO. If you want a vintage, muddy or woolly sound, I would suggest finding a different bass.

Hope this helps.
[/quote]

Thanks - I'm not doubting the quality as it's a superb bass, I'll have a bit more of a tweak before I change anything.

I find that I really enjoy Bartolini pickups. They're not super bright, hi-fi pickups so if you're looking for a slap machine they wouldn't be much first choice. But they have such a musical voicing, especially in the midrange. Very enjoyable indeed. I also really like EMG's too, but again they are a very different sound.

Seems simple but something many people over look is the gain on the amp.

A "hot" pickup won't necersaryly go louder than a pickup with moderate ouput as you have to set most input gains to the clip limit.

You may be after a more mid focused sound so before splashing the cash I would experiment more with all the controls you have. Also something solo'd will sound a lot different in a full band.

[quote name='Chris2112' timestamp='1321797588' post='1443084']
I find that I really enjoy Bartolini pickups. They're not super bright, hi-fi pickups so if you're looking for a slap machine they wouldn't be much first choice. But they have such a musical voicing, especially in the midrange. Very enjoyable indeed. I also really like EMG's too, but again they are a very different sound.
[/quote]

You see, this is another internet myth. Bartolini is often being quoted as being dark sounding with a rolled top end. I've got a Jazz bass here with Barts in that will take your head off with the amount of treble that is on tap... and that's in a passive bass.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1321877592' post='1443902']
You see, this is another internet myth. Bartolini is often being quoted as being dark sounding with a rolled top end.
[/quote]

I don't think it is. I've recently had three basses with Barts, played through the same amp with the same settings. All sounded softer and more 'organic' than other comparable basses. Indeed, my Zon could be so bright it could slice your ears off at 20 paces. But it still gravitated towards a darker, warmer sound. My Warwick Streamer has a lovely midrange growl and the top end is nice and clear, but it's 'musical' rather than sharp. etc etc.

EDIT: Mind you, I don't want to get into lazy stereotyping of pickups. After all, there are many Bart pickups and many of the items supplied to high end luthiers are custom wound. So there may not be a 'true' Bartolini sound. But in general, I find them far less 'in your face' than say, EMG.

Edited by Chris2112

Have you tried adjusting the pickup height ? My JM4 doesn't sound weak (even compared to the legendary MFD in my G&L L1000!)

I did rotate the M pickup so that the single coil was in the 70's Jazz position when in single coil mode though. The factory position of the coil was too close to the neck PU to get a genuine 60's Jazz tone.

It is possible to get a vintage type tone out of the Delano pickups btw.
Broken-in GHS pressurewound strings and a DHA VT1 BASS EQ/DI is how I do it.

• 3 years later...

I've changed the Delano's in my VM4 for a Fender Original P and a Haussel Alnico MM whilst also replacing the (faulty, older style) preamp with a passive VVVT circuit. It's certainly not overly bright now but I favour flatwounds anyhow.
Lowering the pickups may tame the brightness.