Why become a member? ×

Fender Precision Bass 57 American Reissue Series

bassface2k10

I almost bought a '62 AV from him & had good communications with, seems a genuine guy to me, I only didn't, 'cos I got a better deal straight from the states.

I would buy with confidence from him on that basis alone.

HTH,
John

Edit: Yes that is a seriously good price & yes they are a seriously good P-bass :) mine '57 is my go to :)

Edited by KiOgon

Man I'd love one of them. As Precisions go they tick all the right boxes for me. As they come with the covers, why don't they drill the holes? I know some folk don't like them (I do, very much) but I'd be so worried about making a hash of it when lining up the bridge cover.

[quote name='bigthumb' timestamp='1320956289' post='1433806']
Man I'd love one of them. As Precisions go they tick all the right boxes for me. As they come with the covers, why don't they drill the holes? I know some folk don't like them (I do, very much) but I'd be so worried about making a hash of it when lining up the bridge cover.
[/quote]

I was thinking the same thing.

[quote name='bigthumb' timestamp='1320956289' post='1433806']
[/quote]

not eveyone wants them and once you have drilled the holes the surrounding paintwork can peel

if you want the holes, they are not hard to drill, just use masking tape and start with smaller drill bits and work up to the size you want

I love the look with ashtrays on, but decided to experiment with covers on a cheapo P-bass before drilling. I'm glad I did because I can't play anything like 'normal' with them on :) so I won't be drilling either my '57 or '62, not for the foreseeable anyhow :)

[quote name='bigthumb' timestamp='1320961183' post='1433900']
Drilling is not the problem, I think the positioning could be. I Agree with the potential risk of the paint flaking but what if the holes were drilled before painting?
[/quote]
Drilling is not the problem - Positioning is not the problem - Paint flaking is not the problem - The problem is playing the damn thing once they're on there :)

Unless you're young enough to learn to play different style :) or just want to hang it on a wall to look at :)

Covers, yes, always a knotty problem...
I have my standard P drilled for them, but rarely put them on. The pickup cover is very wide, and doesn't make a good thumbrest. Otherwise, they are OK.
On the 51RI, they stay on permanently. The pickup cover is much narrower, and is where a thumbrest might be, level-wise. Also, the slabs look bad without them, IMHO. Splits look good either way...
And the drilling? Yup, scary. But what the hell.