Why become a member? ×

Which PUPs for my P-J build?

Twigman

OK so I have pulled the trigger on some of the parts for my long longed for P-J.....but am undecided which PUPs to go for.

Having played the same bass ( a 62JV-P ) for the last 28 years my experience of PUPs is extremely limited.

I'm after a J-P because I want some bright mids in my tone but I also want the deep growl and a deep mellow tone too.....

Is there any way to hear specific pickups for side by side comparison testing online?

No - thought not........

So should I just go on reputation?

How would you, in my position, decide which PUps to go for?

I have a P/J bass and am un-happy with the current pups so have been on a mission to find a more suitable set.
My conclusion is that I'm going to leave the Fender vintage P pickup in and upon professional advice I'm looking to get a Nordstrand split jazz pickup for the J position.
They (Nordy) do a vintage one and a higher output version of the split coil Jazz units so I just need to decide which one!

There are many units out there and some other sets that come highly recommended are from Wizard or Lindy Fralin.

Good luck!

I've got the Big Combo in a P/J, and I love them - so much so I put a set in a Warwick Fortress, too. They're much higher output than standard, but still sound old-school. I'd suggest that for the money they're worth trying, and even if you didn't like them, you'd soon shift them on here second-hand. The J (84) is particularly good.

[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1320848969' post='1432216']
Yeah been looking at the Wizard P/J Combo(Big).....but not having knowingly heard them, how can I be sure they are right for me?
[/quote]

I inherited a Wizard P/J set on my Aerodyne, supposedly an overwound 62 J and a thumper P. I find this to be a very nice combination indeed, really thick P bass with a vintage, slightly aggressive sounding J, combine them and you have a very cool sound which sounds a bit like a Jazz but with some proper oomph. Andy is a top bloke, if you speak to him he will probably be able to work out what pick-ups you need and make them up for you.

Edited by krazy_olie

I've got Dimarzio Model P/J in my RBX and they are AWESOME! Loads of guts and power but plenty of definition and clarity too, but they definitely still sound like a P and J pickup to me and don't lack character. The J is a split coil design so humcancelling and they sound wicked. I was planning to put a preamp in the bass, but I installed these babies and decided it didn't need it. They're really good value for money IMHO too.

Oh yeah, and you can wire them to switch between series/parallel if you want too.

In an Aerodyne Jazz I had, with P/J config, I put a Seymour Duncan Hot Stack in the bridge. It was hum-cancelling, and seemed to keep the tone of the original pickup, but just "more" of it. Same pickup config Duff McKagan uses, btw.

You'll of course get as many answers as there are BC-ers. I've had 2 sets of P/J's; Seymour Duncan Vintage P with SD Antiquity II J (on a fretless P) and passive Bartolinis. Thje SD's of course had the more vintage tone, but for sheer clarity, punch, and growl the Barts are absolutely superb.
Also had DiMarzio P / P on a BC Rich CS NT Eagle - I still rate the Barts as top.

As said, unless you're buying ultra-boutique you'll alkways get your money back on here if you try and don't like