Why become a member? ×

Squier Classic Vibe Range - Which to choose?!

Musicman20

[quote name='Chris2112' timestamp='1320840688' post='1432063']
The bridge alone makes it worth the premium over the VM, the brass item is so much better than those dodgy bent bits of tin.
[/quote]

Nice bridges indeed but i couldn't get on (or rather didn't want to) with the 20mm string spacing and have replaced both mine.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1320759035' post='1430892'][size=3]....My only worry is the Fiesta Red looks VERY pink...is it?![/size]...[/quote]
Well, that depends, and not just on the light. I've got one that I would say is very red, and lovely too. But the other day I was in a shop that had one that was really quite a different hue, much more dark pink, and much less to my taste. So I suspect different batches have had significantly different paint put on them.

So this is another one where you'll really need to see the bass in question before buying.

[quote name='mart' timestamp='1320868323' post='1432608']
Well, that depends, and not just on the light. I've got one that I would say is very red, and lovely too. But the other day I was in a shop that had one that was really quite a different hue, much more dark pink, and much less to my taste. So I suspect different batches have had significantly different paint put on them.

So this is another one where you'll really need to see the bass in question before buying.
[/quote]

Mine can look dark or very light. I'd be interested to know how yours looks under the same shop lights.

Edited by dave_bass5

Thanks Gareth. You can blame GW for setting me off down the maple path. I think the bass looks a lot better with the maple neck.

Now first thing in the morning give GAK a call. If you can get it by Friday i will give us all something sensible to talk about, otherwise we will be stuck with the usual silly Friday threads :-)

Other than the pup i see no reason to change anything else inside. I know some people do i really dont feel its needed. I found the stock pots to be smoother than the CTS pots i brought, and i had 6 of them trying to get s smooth one, and ive now been gigging my CV's for over a year, almost every weekend and never had any problems.

I did change the cap in the P but only because i wanted to hear what difference a standard Fender P rated one makes, not because i felt a more expensive one of the same capacitance would make any difference. I believe the Squier ones are different to the usual P caps.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1320873542' post='1432715']
Mine can look dark or very light. I'd be interested to know how yours looks under the same shop lights.
[/quote]
I see your point, and unfortunately I don't think I'm going to manage to get both basses together under the same lights. But the difference was a lot more than I could imagine being caused by the lighting alone.

Either way, it looks like you'd need to see the bass (and preferably in a range of lighting conditions) before buying if you are at all concerned about shades and hues.

And, by the way, I agree about not needing to change much on the bass. I've switched the pup, but am happy with everything else on it.

[quote name='mart' timestamp='1320932508' post='1433358']
I see your point, and unfortunately I don't think I'm going to manage to get both basses together under the same lights. But the difference was a lot more than I could imagine being caused by the lighting alone.

Either way, it looks like you'd need to see the bass (and preferably in a range of lighting conditions) before buying if you are at all concerned about shades and hues.

And, by the way, I agree about not needing to change much on the bass. I've switched the pup, but am happy with everything else on it.
[/quote]

Yeah, you could be right. mine is the only one ive seen in the flesh so i cant really say if mine is typical or not. Im not really a red bass guy but i do prefer dark/wine or even CAR to this. Still, i cant complain, its been my main gigging bass for over a year now, and its been good enough to allow me to sell of my other, more expensive basses.
Im not saying i dont want something better but for now i cant see me actually getting or needing anything else.

The only reason i changed one of the pots in my CVP was because i damaged one when i was putting a new pup in it. It still has the original wiring and jack, the CV Jazz has all its electrics as stock.

Lol, I know. Im quite patient, I think its the 8 month wait for a Stingray that did it. A few days seems like nothing!

I am also trying to sort the Ray HH at the same time. They are checking over the other one they have in stock in the UK. Hopefully it will be 100%, if not, it looks like another 3-4 month wait.

ARGH