Why become a member? ×

Sending a bass from England to Holland the cheapest way

Cloff

Hey guys,

I want to buy a bass from England, but the costs are quite high, so my question is where I can get the cheapest insured postage? I tried several import services in Holland which work worldwide (DHL/GLS/UPS), but they only do that with business companies, so i'm kinda stuck.. :)

And if this thread is in the wrong part of the forum, i'm sorry. :)

A lot of us on here use interparcel.com

I have myself sent a bass to Holland a few months back using them. They have always been reliable for me. You can choose which courier price package you would like to use.

Edited by Platypus

The bass in question is being sent by me, but given that Gerben was a little apprehensive about importing a bass I suggested he post here to ask for impartial advice. I looked at Interparcel today and they appear to only insure up to £1000, which won't work with this bass which is worth something more. Any advice/experience you guys could offer would probably help both myself and Gerben feel a little more comfortable about sending a unique bass overseas fully insured

Cheers

Chris

[quote name='Platypus' timestamp='1320698063' post='1430300']
A lot of us on here use interparcel.com

I have myself sent a bass to Holland a few months back using them. They have always been reliable for me. You can choose which courier price package you would like to use.
[/quote]

Anyone know if Interparcel will go up to £1500 on insurance, seems most of the services are up to £1000?
Thanks
Chris

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1320750822' post='1430769']
You could each drive to calais but that might work out more pricey.
[/quote]

I had thought of it but it's the time issue and the potential for things to go wrong with a large outlay of cash on tickets and petrol that puts me off

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1320752726' post='1430790']
Parcel2go.com are are also worth using.
[/quote]

Cheers Lozz, yes I've looked. I'm finding it too hard to work through the T&Cs of most couriers regarding firstly whether they insure musical instruments (many don't), and secondly, to what level and what exceptions. Unless someone has a good idea today Gerben will be out of luck, as i've spent way too long on this and am not prepared to post uninsured.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1320755887' post='1430846']
I`ve just checked Parcel2go.com, and this in in their exclusions info:

Guitars - maximum parcel compensation value for damages is £100, up to £1000 compensation for lost items. Guitars must be sent in a hard case.
[/quote]

Cheers mate, that's the type of thing most sites have in their exclusions. I'm not sure I'd want to send a £1500 bass knowing I'd only get £100 back if they broke it, and you don't have to go far to see examples of 'courier handling error' :)

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1320760946' post='1430934']
Basschat Gumball Rally? :)
[/quote]

We've done a few in the past but I'm not sure it's the safest or cheapest bet here!

From my POV, I'd like to change the thread title to 'Sending a bass from England to Holland the [i]safest [/i]way'. However, I'm not sure that even the safest is safe enough. I'm getting the feeling that couriers simply will not offer what seems a pretty reasonable guarantee; that they'll either get a bass to it's intended destination in one piece or that they'll pick up the bill if they don't. I guess half the problem is that the courier's insurers have failed to pay out in the past in situations in which couriers have reimbursed customers, so it's a knock-on effect. Either way, I have no idea how people risk sending really valuable instruments overseas?

Have you considered UPS? [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/36625-courier-points-system-and-courier-issues/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/36625-courier-points-system-and-courier-issues/[/url] seems pretty good on there, very high insurance as well :)

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1320752082' post='1430778']
I had thought of it but it's the time issue and the potential for things to go wrong with a large outlay of cash on tickets and petrol that puts me off
[/quote]

Looks like you may have to do something along these lines if its safe arrival is paramount. You can get stinking cheap eurostar tickets if you are prepared to book online and go at an ungodly hour. I believe fuel is cheaper over there too, so fill up, Most of the actual distance is under the water after all. As for time, if you are prepared to travel late at night you could be in Eurostar terminal in an hour from Canterbury, another 2 hours with eurostar to get over there and then meet up with buyer. I reckon you'd still be home before dawn all done and dusted, holding folding! :) :)

I often used to nip over to Calais, and I am in North London so have to tackle M25. The key to it is travel off peak!

Edited by mentalextra

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1320762879' post='1430997']
Have you considered UPS? [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/36625-courier-points-system-and-courier-issues/"]http://basschat.co.u...courier-issues/[/url] seems pretty good on there, very high insurance as well :)
[/quote]

I looked at that thread and had a migraine as the new BC format has turned it into jumble. I'll look again!

[quote name='mentalextra' timestamp='1320762924' post='1430998']
Looks like you may have to do something along these lines if its safe arrival is paramount. You can get stinking cheap eurostar tickets if you are prepared to book online and go at an ungodly hour. I believe fuel is cheaper over there too, so fill up, Most of the actual distance is under the water after all. As for time, if you are prepared to travel late at night you could be in Eurostar terminal in an hour from Canterbury, another 2 hours with eurostar to get over there and then meet up with buyer. I reckon you'd still be home before dawn all done and dusted, holding folding! :) :)

I often used to nip over to Calais, and I am in North London so have to tackle M25. The key to it is travel off peak!
[/quote]

Agreed, apart from the three month old daughter that I have to factor in to the equation :)

[quote name='Mr H' timestamp='1320706940' post='1430467']
Easyjet and a couple of days off! Business [i]and[/i] pleasure.
[/quote]
^ This.
Did it with a Telecaster in a Fender case a few years ago - worked out way cheaper than any courier. Course that was when it was worth the hassle of flying RyanAir.

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1320763436' post='1431022']
Agreed, apart from the three month old daughter that I have to factor in to the equation :)
[/quote]

Your selling her too? What are you planning on buying? :)

Don't forget the air holes!