Why become a member? ×

Buying from Hong Kong

apa

Ive noticed while looking for 'stuff' on the bay that there is quit often a lot of sellers from Hong Kong and Singapore. Prices are very reasonable and postage is also low if not free. Im not talking about expencive or fake rolex or Rics Im talking just general no name stuff. So is it all too good to be true? Anyone tried it? Is there a hidden flaw? The sellers are companies and have almost perfect selling records!

I know HK is the capital of cheap but I would have thought postage and tax would kill it!

Your thoughts please and thanks in advance :)

A

Picked up a replacement badge for my boss's mitsubishi, from hong kong and a kickstand adaptor for his Harley from thailand.
Both had good feedback and arrived without incident in excellent condition. Half the UK prices.
Reckon the feedback speaks for itself really, just takes time for delivery (around 2 weeks in both cases).
Andy

Bought some guitar bits and pieces from hong kong for cheaper than seems legal on the bay. All arrived in good condition. I was quite pleased. What ya gotta remember is these eastern traders are so desperate to tap into the western Market that they daren't put a foot wrong, negative feedback for these guys would be instant Hari-Kari. Trade with confidence. Everything you buy in the Uk comes from these guys anyway so all you are doing is cutting out the middle man.

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1320708215' post='1430486']
Bought some guitar bits and pieces from hong kong for cheaper than seems legal on the bay. All arrived in good condition. I was quite pleased. What ya gotta remember is these eastern traders are so desperate to tap into the western Market that they daren't put a foot wrong, negative feedback for these guys would be instant Hari-Kari. Trade with confidence. [b]Everything you buy in the Uk comes from these guys anyway so all you are doing is cutting out the middle man.
[/b][/quote]

Thats kind of what I thought. A while back I was after a paddle headed neck. I found a HK supplier for about £40 all in. Probably the same thing as goes in the UK sellers for £80!

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1320708215' post='1430486']
Bought some guitar bits and pieces from hong kong for cheaper than seems legal on the bay. All arrived in good condition. I was quite pleased. What ya gotta remember is these eastern traders are so desperate to tap into the western Market that they daren't put a foot wrong, negative feedback for these guys would be instant Hari-Kari. Trade with confidence. Everything you buy in the Uk comes from these guys anyway so all you are doing is cutting out the middle man.
[/quote]

Same experience..I bought some strap locks from HK recently - took forever to arrive (3 weeks) - contacted the seller who virtually begged me not to give him -ve feedback - arrived two days later..delays probably due to the UK postal system!!

If you're looking for a bargain look at the guys selling Amber with insects in - the same piece of Amber from Europe would be hundreds of pounds..

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Exquisite-Tibet-silver-scorpion-amber-Pendant-Necklace-/170722019911?pt=UK_Jewellery_Watches_CostumeJewellery_CA&hash=item27bfd34a47#ht_2162wt_1257"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Exquisite-Tibet-silver-scorpion-amber-Pendant-Necklace-/170722019911?pt=UK_Jewellery_Watches_CostumeJewellery_CA&hash=item27bfd34a47#ht_2162wt_1257[/url]

Edited by TheGreek

I've bought a variety of things from China and HK - electronic components, Arduino stuff, clothing and jewellery. The only issue I've had is with one of the purportedly B C Rich piezo bridges, which it's impossible to solder wires to in the way that they say (ebay complaint opened).