Why become a member? ×

London Bass Guitar Show - March 2012 : worth a trip from Manchester?

The Admiral

Clearly the answer will be a subjective one, but I've never been before and am considering it. However, I travel a lot for work, and it would mean more time away from home - which won't be popular, and it's a lot of travel expense, whether I go by car or train. Also, I note that it's 'in association with Bass Guitar magazine', which I've canned my sub to, for reasons which have been discussed by others on BC, and it worries me that it may not live up to expectations, with too few exhibitors to make it worthwhile.

All observations welcome - tickets are available now at £12.50 - as opposed to £15.00 if bought after 13th November - or £20 on the door, so it's worth me making a decision soon, either way.

Cheers

A

Edited by The Admiral

[quote name='vmaxblues' timestamp='1320514579' post='1427859']In my humble opinion no, I went last year and was disappointed, and there was continual slapurbation going on from almost every stand, I won't bother again.[/quote]

Have to say I found it very difficult to demonstrate on the Shuker stand as I wanted to show people some more melodic and tonal sides of the instruments, but no one could hear it under the sound akin to that of people building sheds with drum kits.

I'm planning on going on both days, but mostly to soak up the masterclasses and performances which I expect to be well worth it. If you're in the market for new gear, it's a great opportunity to get your hands on a wide range of stuff - just don't expect to be able to actually [b]hear[/b] it!

Remember that the most high profile performer was Mark King this year - to me, The Man Who Single-Handedly Killed Slapping. Forever. (I hate slap bass, and my hatred started with him and Level 42 all those years ago!)

I guess that, as a consequence, many of the guests were expected to be, unlike me, fans of slap bass. There was a huuuge queue for the auditorium where he played. The demonstrators probably thought it was a good idea to show off that skill to attract custom. Hoping for a non-repeat of that this year!

Edited by bluejay

Plenty of expensive basses at the last one, Ernie Ball Musicman, Overwaters / Tanglewoods, Dingwalls, Goodfellows, Status, Ibanez, a couple of Fodera, Spectors etc.

And quite a lot of amps, effects and strings and other bits and bobs.

If you like only old Fenders and other classics you might be a bit disappointed.

I looked round the show and got bored fairly quickly but if there are people performing that you're interested in that might tip the balance for you.

It was good to catch up with some fellow Basschatters though.