Why become a member? ×

EBS Session Classic 60 Watt Combo

Dood

Here's my review from my new 'The Bassment' column in the FREE Guitar Interactive Magazine. This video is out on Youtube now so it's ok to post a link here.

[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vyQa0VyWt4

Here's the link to the full free magazine - it's packed to the brim with reviews, interviews and stuff!

[url="http://licklibrary.ceros.com/iguitarmag/issue5/page/1"]http://licklibrary.c...g/issue5/page/1[/url]

Thanks Dood. I am thinking about getting one of these as a small combo to take to rehearsals with my acoustic band as believe it or not, lugging my MarkBass CMD121H combo every Tuesday and Thursdays is getting a pain due to its size and weight. Something even smaller like this EBS would be great.

However, I am a bit worried that it will be a little under powered but even more that it might suffer from what i have found most low output combos suffer from and thats a thin nasally middy sound with little tone and definition. I have a 30 watt Laney and it sounds like a wet paper box. As soon as you try and add any bass it just goes boxy and muddy.

Does this suffer from this at all or does it tonally have definition and character?

Sorry for all the questions :)

• 2 weeks later...

Well I managed to get pretty much a brand new one of these of Ebay for a bargain price and all I can say is wow. Normally for gigs and rehearsalswith my acoustic band I use my MarkBass 121H combo but to be honest, dragging it to rehearsals every Tuesday and Thursday is getting a bit much and a bit overkill so I wanted something a lot smaller and easier to move.

First of all, the look and quality is top notch. It looks so very cool and so very vintage. Its not that light but easy enough to carry. Tonally it sounds superb. Only tried my MIA Precision but it growls with a wonderful deep vintage tone. Not muddy in anyway but deep and punchy. Wonderful. For such a small combo, I was worried that it might sound boxy and nasly but not this at all. If you start playing with the filter and character button then even more amazing tones can be had. Oh and one more thing, its very very loud which is very surprising for a 60 watt amp.

This is my first taste of EBS stuff and I am mighty impressed. It has got me considering the bigger 120 watt brother for gigs or even exploring other EBS gear. Just when I thought I was settled with MarkBass, along comes this amazing EBS gear.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1321437283' post='1439015']
Glad you got sorted out. (And you've seen the EBS light huzzah!)
[/quote]

Thank you. It really is a cracking little combo. Such a warm vintage tone. At the moment, I am trying to find prices for the for the classic session 120 but nothing yet available online. I imagine its going to be around £450 though.

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1322000136' post='1445431']
Oh cool! What did they say?
[/quote]

It says "Great Video review on EBS Session 60" - your video review is the first thing at the top of the newsletter.
If you've got an email address you could PM me I'll forward the newsletter to you if you want.

Edited by RhysP

• 9 months later...
  • 7 months later...

[quote name='keeptrying' timestamp='1347029030' post='1796214']
I hope EBS pay you a fee,I looked at one of these a few days ago, your review has been most helpful in helping make the decision.
cheers Dood :)
[/quote]

EBS, if you are reading this.... :)