Why become a member? ×

troy sanders effects? anyone have any idea what he has?

0175westwood29

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1319803751' post='1418767']
I found this, if it's helpful:

[url="http://www.uberproaudio.com/who-plays-what/607-mastodon-troy-sanders-bass-rig-gear-and-equipment"]http://www.uberproau...r-and-equipment[/url]
[/quote]
No wonder he's got a massive sound. Octaver & a POG, Moog delay & Taurus pedals! Those alone would make a massive sound without any of the other things he has (including using a bass)!

There was a board shot from the crack the skye recording around somewhere, he had 4 different big muffs. The big muff is the ket to his fuzz sound, and lots of blending and bi-amping and all sorts. He used to use a custom muff clone called the Sanford and Sonny bluebeard fuzz. He also has a bass whammy that I can't actually hear on an songs. When they were on jools holland he only had a couple, I imagine he only needed two they, they haven't started touring yet so he probably hasn't put a full board together.

Yeh maybe have to wait a bit for new album board shots.

Ive managed to find out his touring rig tho and its epic!

Clean channel tc electronics blacksmith into 2 410's

And his dirty channel, is either svt or a pro 4 into to mesa 810's

And after listening to the blacksmith videos that is one hell of an amp!

Andy

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1320430928' post='1426890']
I thought he'd swapped over to an MXR El Grande for his fuzz?
[/quote]

i know he switches pedals alot, ive heard rumours hes using the new mxr bass fuzz, the bronze one.

and i just read that he used a tc chorus.

all info is helpfull guys thanks

andy

He uses a Wren and Cuff Pickle Pie B for all the Muff type sounds nowadays. The board on Talkbass is old....... fyi.

Key is clean amp + another amp for FXs. Good if you have the money and the roadies.

I have the poor man's option: Morley ABY> A signal direct for clean + B signal for FX (with added blend pedal for best bass response and more flexibility)>a second ABY>Multicomp>GB Streamliner 900

I would suggest you buy an Earthbound Supercollider, Wren and Cuff Pickle Pie B or Wounded Paw attack goat (or AND) for the Muffs as they all have variable MID, while Muff always sounds Scooped. The MXR El Grande is really good for the money.

My 2cents.

[quote name='HazBeen' timestamp='1320672022' post='1429687']
He uses a Wren and Cuff Pickle Pie B for all the Muff type sounds nowadays. The board on Talkbass is old....... fyi.

Key is clean amp + another amp for FXs. Good if you have the money and the roadies.

I have the poor man's option: Morley ABY> A signal direct for clean + B signal for FX (with added blend pedal for best bass response and more flexibility)>a second ABY>Multicomp>GB Streamliner 900

I would suggest you buy an Earthbound Supercollider, Wren and Cuff Pickle Pie B or Wounded Paw attack goat (or AND) for the Muffs as they all have variable MID, while Muff always sounds Scooped. The MXR El Grande is really good for the money.

My 2cents.
[/quote]

thanks man!

ive heard of those pedals! so ill check them out!

on the dual rig thing im def looking into it! ive been close a few times but its never really been viable but my band heard troys bass sound and we all love it! so i think im gonna try and get something together? im thinking of maybe trying to get a 210 combo and use that for my clean then i can use my current 610 and aguilar as my dirty.

ive found a video of his rig but they skip his pedalboard!! Grrr!

andy

No worries, I think many bassists are quite protective of how they achieve their sound, I have spent lots of time and effort in understanding what Justin Chancellor, Timmy C, Chris Wolstenholme and Troy Sanders use - they are all quite secretive. One thing I realized is that they all use "clean" and "dirty" amps and that signal splitting is one of the reasons why they sound so massive....... they lose no low-end and always have that basis to work with.

With my option you actually don't split signal between 2 amps or cabs (like a cross over).

What I do is:

Bass>Morley ABY Mix Pedal (this pedal has a separate A and B output, splits the signal in 2)

Output A - CLEAN
Output B - Dirty (lots of Fuzz, OD, Filter etc pedals)

Both these chains are then combined again using another ABY pedal (A+B=Y) so that I then have a single input into my GB STM 900. I've played around with 2 amps, but for most of us the extra elbow grease and space is not handy and this accomplishes the same.

One important thing to note: I actually use a blender in my output B chain so that I can completely manage how dirty my dirty signal is (if this makes any sense).

Your Aguilar DB750 is "nice" amp, so you may need to crank some mids (or have an expander pedal) on the dirty signal chain to give that smack in the face an Ampeg SVT at full whack would give.

Never hesitate to contact me, I will gladly help in sourcing pedals etc. Might as well help some people miss the hassle and aggro I went through... :)

[quote name='0175westwood29' timestamp='1320684066' post='1429955']

thanks man!

ive heard of those pedals! so ill check them out!

on the dual rig thing im def looking into it! ive been close a few times but its never really been viable but my band heard troys bass sound and we all love it! so i think im gonna try and get something together? im thinking of maybe trying to get a 210 combo and use that for my clean then i can use my current 610 and aguilar as my dirty.

ive found a video of his rig but they skip his pedalboard!! Grrr!

andy
[/quote]

[quote name='HazBeen' timestamp='1320685150' post='1429984']
No worries, I think many bassists are quite protective of how they achieve their sound, I have spent lots of time and effort in understanding what Justin Chancellor, Timmy C, Chris Wolstenholme and Troy Sanders use - they are all quite secretive. One thing I realized is that they all use "clean" and "dirty" amps and that signal splitting is one of the reasons why they sound so massive....... they lose no low-end and always have that basis to work with.

With my option you actually don't split signal between 2 amps or cabs (like a cross over).

What I do is:

Bass>Morley ABY Mix Pedal (this pedal has a separate A and B output, splits the signal in 2)

Output A - CLEAN
Output B - Dirty (lots of Fuzz, OD, Filter etc pedals)

Both these chains are then combined again using another ABY pedal (A+B=Y) so that I then have a single input into my GB STM 900. I've played around with 2 amps, but for most of us the extra elbow grease and space is not handy and this accomplishes the same.

One important thing to note: I actually use a blender in my output B chain so that I can completely manage how dirty my dirty signal is (if this makes any sense).

Your Aguilar DB750 is "nice" amp, so you may need to crank some mids (or have an expander pedal) on the dirty signal chain to give that smack in the face an Ampeg SVT at full whack would give.

Never hesitate to contact me, I will gladly help in sourcing pedals etc. Might as well help some people miss the hassle and aggro I went through... :)
[/quote]

yeh i love my db750! gain cranked and like you say push the mids, sounds really nice and add my boss 0c-3 and either odb-3 or way huge swollen pickle! im in love but i would love to just have some lovely thick bottom to round out my sound, which could be coming from this second amp, plus i kinda wanna see if i can use the stereo outs on some of my pedals? like my bf-3 and im looking into the ehx pulsar trem.

my board has quite alot of dirt on it like troys, ive got a metal muff and the swollen pickle and odb-3. i blend the muff with clean using an ls-2 so i can't say that my sound is small!

and just incase people take this as me wanting to copy troys tone, im just looking to see what i can do to make mine better!

andy

That are wise words, it should always be to better your own tone not to copy..... unless you are in a tribute band :)

No matter if you use exactly the same gear, fingers en style make up a fair bit of the equation and thus one bassist will always sound a little different from another.

Good luck with your quest for tone........

[quote name='0175westwood29' timestamp='1320149373' post='1422852']
Yeh maybe have to wait a bit for new album board shots.

Ive managed to find out his touring rig tho and its epic!

Clean channel tc electronics blacksmith into 2 410's

And his dirty channel, is either svt or a pro 4 into to mesa 810's

And after listening to the blacksmith videos that is one hell of an amp!

Andy
[/quote]

There's a Youtube video of his brother - also his bass tech! - talking people through his live gear. Some very impressive stuff, was a little envious!

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1320768017' post='1431134']
There's a Youtube video of his brother - also his bass tech! - talking people through his live gear. Some very impressive stuff, was a little envious!
[/quote]

yeh its pretty cool isnt it! just really annoying theres no pedal board walk through!

[quote name='HazBeen' timestamp='1320707271' post='1430473']
That are wise words, it should always be to better your own tone not to copy..... unless you are in a tribute band :)

No matter if you use exactly the same gear, fingers en style make up a fair bit of the equation and thus one bassist will always sound a little different from another.

Good luck with your quest for tone........
[/quote]

yeh i completely agree!

oh and what did you mean by expander pedal i forgot to ask?

andy

There are several variations on the subject, but I quite like the EHX Steel Leather. It is basically the opposite of a compressor, but what it does is increase the attack, great for fat metal tone (especially if you don't use a pick).

[url="http://www.ehx.com/products/steel-leather"]http://www.ehx.com/products/steel-leather[/url]

[quote name='HazBeen' timestamp='1320829940' post='1431846']
There are several variations on the subject, but I quite like the EHX Steel Leather. It is basically the opposite of a compressor, but what it does is increase the attack, great for fat metal tone (especially if you don't use a pick).

[url="http://www.ehx.com/products/steel-leather"]http://www.ehx.com/p...s/steel-leather[/url]
[/quote]

cool ill check it out

andy

• 11 months later...