Why become a member? ×

What gauge strings do you use?

Jono Bolton

[quote name='Pedro1020' post='169601' date='Apr 4 2008, 05:14 AM']To be honest....They Suck![/quote]
Not stictly true. In your opinion! :)

The thing is, most people who by Rotos buy them from a shop wher ethey have probably been on the shelf for months. If you get them direct from Roto (as I did when I had an endorsement with them) then they are fresher and last a helluva lot longer. I like Rotos - if I ever have a string emergency again (unlikely with the qty I have at home!) then I'd go to a shop and get Rotos.

But I use Status strings coz I like them too, and they're cheaper.

Must try one of the many sets of TE strings which I recently bought....

lol I must admit they do feel kinda... :) ...its wierd how to explain, I can only substitue and say they feel "plastic-like" against the usual crunch you get with any new string(s) but I believe Mertons right & Ive never bought roto's online :huh: I guess I have to give them more chance ;)

But first, I've gotta get thru 7 packs of Elites strings, what a score from ebay for £50 ;)

Edited by Pedro1020

[quote name='Pedro1020' post='169809' date='Apr 4 2008, 01:55 PM']lol I must admit they do feel kinda... :) ...its wierd how to explain, I can only substitue and say they feel "plastic-like" against the usual crunch you get with any new string(s) but I believe Mertons right & Ive never bought roto's online :huh: I guess I have to give them more chance ;)

But first, I've gotta get thru 7 packs of Elites strings, what a score from ebay for £50 ;)[/quote]
Hah! See, I don't like Elites... but I can see why that's a bloody good deal. Similar to my 5 sets of TE strings for £35...

[quote name='Merton' post='169820' date='Apr 4 2008, 02:07 PM']Hah! See, I don't like Elites... but I can see why that's a bloody good deal. Similar to my 5 sets of TE strings for £35...[/quote]

Haha, I've never tried Trace Elliot strings, usually I find some in my gauge but they're often double ball end, Argh! :) but the prices for them on ebay are great! £35? C'awh, now thats an awesome deal...in my eyes :huh:

Edited by Pedro1020

[quote name='Pbassred' post='162325' date='Mar 23 2008, 08:32 PM']I use the entrails of a dead cat soaked in parafin wax.

I can't believe this is ANOTHER "what strings" post. Oh wait. Yes I can.[/quote]

With respect, Pbassred, there are loads of newcomers (like me) to this site who either;

a) Forget to do a search first.
:) Do a search and find there's an old thread which doesn't quite match what they want to know.

Give these people a break and lay off the sarcasm, although I do admit this is a pretty boring thread. I've been playing for
a long time and there's so little difference between string brands (except the price) that it's not worth the debate.

• 2 weeks later...

As a bit of a newbie, I have a related question.

I have a Squier P-Bass, which I've had for a couple of years, I've been playing a lot more recently, including a gig or two, so I decided it was about time to put new strings on.

According to the sticker, the bass was supplied with Fender 7250 strings ( they have red threads on the end ). I replaced them with a pack of 7250 M ( .045-105 ), which have black threads, so they are clearly not quite the same.

My main issue is that the sound is incredibly different, much tinnier and twangy-er, more resonance, less bass, much more noise from finders sliding along them. Doesn't really suit our pop and soft to hard rock style at all.

My question is. is this due to...
1 - Them being a lighter grade than the originals
2 - They need playing in ( this is the first time I have changed the strings, so have never experienced the difference )
3 - The sticker lied, and the originals were something different.

Any ideas ?

[quote name='chrisba' post='187875' date='Apr 29 2008, 10:41 AM']As a bit of a newbie, I have a related question.

I have a Squier P-Bass, which I've had for a couple of years, I've been playing a lot more recently, including a gig or two, so I decided it was about time to put new strings on.

According to the sticker, the bass was supplied with Fender 7250 strings ( they have red threads on the end ). I replaced them with a pack of 7250 M ( .045-105 ), which have black threads, so they are clearly not quite the same.

My main issue is that the sound is incredibly different, much tinnier and twangy-er, more resonance, less bass, much more noise from finders sliding along them. Doesn't really suit our pop and soft to hard rock style at all.

My question is. is this due to...
1 - Them being a lighter grade than the originals
2 - They need playing in ( this is the first time I have changed the strings, so have never experienced the difference )
3 - The sticker lied, and the originals were something different.

Any ideas ?[/quote]

Thats the sound of new strings, without the 'funk' thats in the 'funk'. They'll die down as you sweat into them, till then, roll off your tone knob.