Why become a member? ×

using a guitar through a Boss ME-50B

MacDaddy

so as funds are lacking and I'm playing a bit of lead guitar, I'm using my Boss ME-50B. The chorus and delays work quite well, but I'm not quite there with the distortions yet.

Any advice on which would work best and/or how to get the best out of a bass multi fx for guitar? I'm playing an active guitar which can be played passive.

cheers.

I don't own the ME50B (would like to!) but so only semi-obvious suggestions...:

- get as much high frequency out of the guitar as possible; turn the level up as high as you can without it clipping the input, and turn the treble up if it has an active EQ
- get as much high frequency out of the ME-50B as possible - open filters wider, choose brighter distortion settings and ones with higher gain (which will generate more HF)

To be honest I usually quite like guitar though bass effects... try digging the offbeat vibe!

Dependant on the style you are after I would say dont boost the top end.

Guitar is a funny old thing, if you are in a genre other than the super scooped metal thing then avoid adding top to it, it usually doesnt sound great IME, especially for lead tones. It will also fight like hell with the rest of the mix if you make it too toppy.

There is a lot of presence to be found in the mids rather than top, I find myself using a very gentle shelving filter to remove at least a couple of dB of top (ie >4KHz) off most guitars in a lot of genres. I know this can be differnt live from in a mix, but try it, listen to a lot of stuff in your chosen genre and concentrate on the guitar tone and top end and use that as a clue.

An issue I find with a lot of fx units and their delay/reverb is you often cant eq that fx. If you can then roll off more top and a fair bit of bottom (not so much as it gets honky) on delays and reverbs, it will help the original stuff sound up front and will put the delayed/reverbed effect back behind it.

If you are running into a nice bit of valve gear try setting it up so that it supplies the overdrive, ie get a clean tone at a level on your clean patch such that its right on the edge of overdriving, then use another couple of patches each with more level to cause the amp to break up. Combining this with some mild overdrive off the fx unit can lead to more overdriven sounds still, with loads of sustain.

Let us know how you get on! I've dug mine out after reading this and going to try using it as a delay pedal until my Deluxe Memory Boy arrives. Also going to try out the 'Slow Gear' sim on one of our tunes, I've got one little part that's crying out for it.

Rehearsal tonight, hopefully I'll get it set up nice and quick, don't want to be one of those guitarists who's always dicking about with his pedals!

[quote name='mike257' timestamp='1319538566' post='1415288']
Let us know how you get on! I've dug mine out after reading this and going to try using it as a delay pedal until my Deluxe Memory Boy arrives. Also going to try out the 'Slow Gear' sim on one of our tunes, I've got one little part that's crying out for it.

Rehearsal tonight, hopefully I'll get it set up nice and quick, don't want to be one of those guitarists who's always dicking about with his pedals!
[/quote]

I'm still fiddling about with the distortions, the metal setting seems to work okay for lead, but I haven't found a rhythm setting I'm happy with. I'm not after anything too heavy.
Using the wah to take off the top end seems to work.
I've a reheasal tonight with the combo so will have a fiddle.

Edited by MacDaddy