Why become a member? ×

ID this bass....Traddodiad Ofnus

iconic

I used to really like something their stuff, can't speak Welsh but hey good grooves and basslines though...I even bought Nid Hywadd

....this is some strange looking bass, sounds great to me though!

....looks very active with two very large pups...with Jaguar looking body, but Aria head....it must be pre-'89 though.

close up at 1:14 onwards.....sounds like a fretless...with cheater lines :)

[media]FlhA5R0s4oE[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlhA5R0s4oE&feature=related[/media]

Edited by iconic

bash my balls with an iron bar that was quick....Ovation Magnum, rings a very faint bell.... I quite like the look of this and the sound is wonderful if this is typical....do they come up for sale....pricey or cheap?

Edited by iconic

Being actually proper Welsh and that, I can confirm that Welsh the language doesn't really exist - it's just gibberish they're making up on the spot purely to be annoying. Particularly north walians. Even my dad pretends to speak it from time to time and other people pretend to understand. That being said, I'd like to watch the clip to try and i.d. the bass but I fear I'd become mortally embarrassed by it. From bitter personal experience it appears that Welsh language tv (it's gibberish remember) would actually let a monkey on if it pretended to be speaking Welsh. PLEASE don't think that people in Wales actually watch this stuff and think it's good. FFS my tax has gone into making that.

And I can say this cos I am Welsh. AND I don't even like rugby. Go figure.

Anyway, what was the question?

Edited by sime17

Not as far as I know sir - but the man's clearly a genius so compliment duly accepted :)

BTW - having now read the op a bit more I can see he liked the clip so please excuse my cynicism - I still haven't had the heart to watch it and therefore I'm unable to judge exactly how guilty I should feel for my scorn-pouring- but I will just say that if it's good then it was probably in the minority on S4C that particular evening. Most of the channel is exactly like watching the 'channel 9' bits on the Fast Show, just without the suntans and Chris Woddle references. I'm genuinely horrified to think what people accidentally tuning-in to some of it must think of us :) .

Edited by sime17

I've just watched that video! :) I bet the 2 blokes standing playing bits of wood & gabbering gibberish would love to deny the existence of this clip!

Sime17, your country is not alone. Us up here have a made up language for winding up tourists (& English types). I believe Ireland, Yorkshire & Cornwall have similar gobildygook too (although I'm led to believe Yorkies & Cornettos try to speak it to one another too).

Back on topic, that is a pretty good bassline.

I knew you guys'd understand - I've seen BBC Alba too :)!

To their credit - I don't think the Yorkshire and Cornish types have taken the extreme measure of dedicating a whole tv channel to gibberish. Yet.

Still can't bring myself to watch the clip....

Sime17.
I can hardly believe what I'm reading. I wont use this medium to discuss the ups and downs of being Welsh. However, I think its important that other forum members are fully aware that not all us Welsh people have such an inferiority complex and negative view of our wonderful country and language.

Mwlsyn yffarn(spit)

Col

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1318061947' post='1397659']
Sime17, your country is not alone. Us up here have a made up language for winding up tourists (& English types).
[/quote]

Every time I go to Scotland the guys we stay with seem to have invented a new word to confuse us with. It was "puss" last time instead of "face" ie "Shut your puss" or "Thay guy.... what's his puss?

[quote name='CPBassman' timestamp='1318094127' post='1398081']Sime17.
I can hardly believe what I'm reading. I wont use this medium to discuss the ups and downs of being Welsh. However, I think its important that other forum members are fully aware that not all us Welsh people have such an inferiority complex and negative view of our wonderful country and language.

Mwlsyn yffarn(spit)

Col[/quote]

This. <sigh>