Why become a member? ×

Buying a head in the US...

3rdUncle

...and bringing it back. Anyone done it?

Been looking at all these Class D amps and want to pick one up while on holiday next month. Most appear to have a voltage switch so there shouldn't be any problem in that regard.

After that, is it a case of just using an adaptor all the time or is it easy enough to change plugs/buy new power cable?

Stupid as the question may be I am actually capable of changing a plug.

No adaptor needed as long as it has a voltage switch, Just make sure you switch it to 230V before plugging it in or.......

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/156354-cooked-streamliner-900/page__hl__cooked__fromsearch__1"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/156354-cooked-streamliner-900/page__hl__cooked__fromsearch__1[/url]

:)

Cheers for the answers.

I was also wondering if it would be possible to change the US plug for a Euro one (I live in Spain). I Imagine they have the same wires. If there's a voltage switch then I should just be able to change the plug without any worries, shouldn't I?

That said, it's no big hassle just to use an adaptor.

I reckon warranty is a bit of a scare tactic used by many industries to worry consumers about certain things and 'grey imports' is one of them.

If I think about all the electrical and electronic consumer goods I've bought over the last three decades, I can only think of a couple that needed repairs under warranty - and in actual fact, both items were [u]outside[/u] the warranty period anyway but were fixed by the supplier for goodwill.

I wouldn't worry about not having a warranty on most things. I've bought various items while travelling: iPods (yes, plural), lenses, noise-cancelling headphones and similar) and they are all still working fine. Electronic goods are highly reliable these days.

I'd be more worried about the customs people than the lack of warranty.

Its one of those things even as a sparky we would all call them kettle leads, Knowing the proper name almost looks more novice :)
The fact is use the same lead as you would in your own country for the same piece of kit (ie take one off another bass/guitar amp) and you will be fine, Its the whole reason for not just hard wiring a lead onto the device in the first place I guess.

Couplers, cords, connectors . . . . er, just pass me a kettle lead. :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1317841628' post='1395345']
The fact is use the same lead as you would in your own country for the same piece of kit (ie take one off another bass/guitar amp) and you will be fine,
[/quote]

This. (as long as the voltage selection is OK)

[quote name='bertbass' timestamp='1317828102' post='1395079']
Watch out for customs who will charge import duty and V.A.T. which will double the price you paid for it. I'm told that if the item you want to bring into the U.K. is 'second hand' then you get away with it. Never tried it though. Good luck.
[/quote]
[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1317832155' post='1395167']
You don't get away with it at all, rule of thumb is to add 25% (pounds) to the original cost of purchase to cover vat,duty and delivery.
[/quote]

I think I'll get away with it. Spanish airports aren't as hellishly pedantic as they are in the UK. A few mates have brought laptops over and if I get one that I can carry in a laptop bag as hand luggage I think I should be OK. Maybe declare some daft wee things and maintain the head is mine.

I'm going to chance it.

[quote name='3rdUncle' timestamp='1317893157' post='1395777']

I think I'll get away with it. Spanish airports aren't as hellishly pedantic as they are in the UK. A few mates have brought laptops over and if I get one that I can carry in a laptop bag as hand luggage I think I should be OK. Maybe declare some daft wee things and maintain the head is mine.

I'm going to chance it.
[/quote]

Don't let all the customs officers on here know your travel plans. :)

I'm going to chance it.
[/quote]
I hope it doesn't develop any faults...

If I get one that I can carry in a laptop bag as hand luggage I think I should be OK.

I'm going to chance it.
[/quote]

'Tis exactly what I'd do in the circumstances. Of course, you'll need to discard all the original packaging if you buy new, but that's OK. If you took a local IEC cable with you and changed the voltage before you travel, then it could look *slightly* more authentic if you're stopped. I've never seen anyone stopped for their laptop bag on the way into any country.

And, like others said, you're unlikely to be hit by warranty problems. No guarantees (literally!), but should be OK.

Of course the best bargains would be Talkbass, or similar second hand sales, if you had a friend in the US to receive them. Then, as well as saving even more cash, the item might not look quite so shiny & new.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1317832298' post='1395172']
The plug is not an issue they all have an icc (iee?) or 'kettle plug' style socket as most of us call them so you just use a local version where ever you are.
[/quote]
It is an IEC 60320 C13-C14 as the inlet and outlet. They are often called kettle leads but that may be a misnomer as high power leads actually use a C15-C16 set up which is the same as the C13-C14 pairs but there is an extra notch in plug and a ridge in the socket . You will find that most computers, monitors, etc. use the C13-C14 but most laptop power supplies do not as they either use a cloverleaf style of plug and socket in the PSU (this is also properly called a C5-C6) or a figure-8 (C7-C8). Several USB printers use the C7-C8 - but this is only a Live and Neutral connection.

If you are looking at going to other countries then the opposite end to the C13 will be the domestic plug for whatever country. I would pop along to the local PC or computer store and pick up a power lead which would fit the bill. Just make sure the fuse rating is OK - if the domestic mains connector is fused.