Why become a member? ×

Fretted EUB?

Owen

[quote name='TheRev' timestamp='1317286404' post='1388938']
You could look for a second hand Hohner Steinberger clone and put it on a stand - would probably work out cheaper.
[/quote]

I am thinking about the curvature of the fingerboard as well. I do realise that I did not put this in the original post :)

[quote name='owen' timestamp='1317245511' post='1388724']
Anyone tried/own one of these? There are a lot of things that make me more comfortable on an upright instrumental position. The idea of frets as an option is attractive.

[url="http://thinkns.com/instruments/omnibass.php"]http://thinkns.com/i...ts/omnibass.php[/url]
[/quote]
Mo Clifton made me a great little EUB with a reduced scale and fret markers (like a fretless bass) in the late 90's. It sounds and records really well. He's worth having a chat with! www.cliftonbasses.co.uk

[quote name='TheRev' timestamp='1317286404' post='1388938']
You could look for a second hand Hohner Steinberger clone and put it on a stand - would probably work out cheaper.
[/quote]
When I played fretless bass guitar in the early 80's in a jazz 4tet, I did this a few times when I couldn't take the double bass - gave the bass guitar (Shergold) a different, more "upright-like" attack using the appropriate right hand technique.

Also, didn't Tab Martin of The Peddlers play his bass guitar upright in his lap, sitting on a bar stool?

[url="http://hippy-djkit.blogspot.com/2009/12/peddlers-1967-71-uk-peddlers-formed-in.html"]http://hippy-djkit.b...-formed-in.html[/url]

Edited by Steeve85

It seems that the only real difference between the fretted version of this instrument and an electric bass is the fact that the fingerboard is rounded enough to bow. But with frets on it, a lot of the articulation of the upright is not available...bowing a fretted instrument is a different thing for sure, although the viola da gamba has frets and sounds interesting. It really depends on whether the arco factor is enough for you to want the axe. But will it have the articulation and tonal possibilities of an upright? No. It'll be a different instrument altogether, and only you can decide whether it's gonna be a voice you can use. Hey, it might be great!

[quote name='BeowulfKingsley' timestamp='1317791070' post='1394547']It seems that the only real difference between the fretted version of this instrument and an electric bass is the fact that the fingerboard is rounded enough to bow. It'll be a different instrument altogether, and only you can decide whether it's gonna be a voice you can use. Hey, it might be great![/quote]

That's more like it......I would approach it as an instrument in it's own right, as BK has said.
I love the idea of different approaches to instrument design and playing.
If you are thinking that it would have a "traditional" double bass, eub tone, then I'd very much doubt it, too much metal...
If you are thinking that it's a way of achieving accurate intonation, with an upright tone, then I'd get one of the NS range as I believe they have position markers up the neck.
I saw a brilliant player the other night, he had stickers on the front of his DB board as positional markers, fab player, nice tone too...used a PJB combo, couldn't see the pickup though.

My DB needs are met by that thing in my avatar, and I have an NS5 and and Arco EUB so I am fully covered for the DB esque tone. I like the way my hands sit playing vertically and I also like the curvature of the fingeboard for my right hand. I like the idea of a 41/42" scale length for the fat strings. I'm sure a bottom F# would work quite happily on an EUB but the thought of a fretted one is intriguing. It would be a different flavour.

[quote name='owen' timestamp='1317804898' post='1394657'] It would be a different flavour.[/quote]

Absolutely, I'd love to try one out. Unfortunately we live in the middle of nowhere so no NS dealers for miles.
Be interested in seeing if anyone here ends up with one, and posting some samples.

Love the look of that DB in your avatar btw :-)