Why become a member? ×

Gear Troubleshooting Thread

Pete Academy

Our guitarist also plays bass. He has a couple of Markbass New York 604 cabs. He recently had a couple of problems with a cab distorting. He was going to send it back to the manufacturer for repair, but discovered the problems were easily solved with a bit of detection. One was the covering cloth having come unglued in the port at the back, and the other was using a very slightly dented speaker cable jack, which was resolved by switching to a speakon connector instead.

This made me think about a thread where people could post trouble-shooting successes with gear, so that Basschatters with gear problems could access this and maybe cure similar problems without resorting to expensive and time-consuming repairs.

Make any sense? Or should I get me coat?

Makes sense to me..I'm a complete numpty when it comes to technical stuff..I've got a problem at the moment with my Markbass JB combo - crackly pot - I know it's something simple as it hasn't left my living room. I sprayed some switch cleaning lubricant into the jack but this did nothing (now waiting for a tirade of abuse for being so stupid!!) - I don't want to take it apart as I haven't a clue what I'm looking for or what the solution is likely to be..

Having said this..even if somebody gave me the solution I wouldn't know how to follow it up anyway..

Looks like I'm going to have to pay somebody to do it for me..

[quote name='Monckyman' timestamp='1316981377' post='1385180']Switch cleaner is the right move, but it sounds like you didn`t get it on the right area to clean the switch properly.[/quote]

I agree, you need to get behind the facia for it to work.

As for the thread Pete I like it but we already have repairs and technical issues where these things are regularly resolved FOC :)

I don't think it's a good idea. I know people are in general absolute mince at searching for stuff which might be relevant to their predicament, but I don't see how trawling through a linear progression of disconnected and disparate problems and their solutions is going to be any better. No doubt there'll be some initial success, then someone will say "this should be made a sticky".

Please no more sticky threads. This forum already looks like Spiderman got a bit eager on his first day back at work after a year long sabbatical.