Why become a member? ×

new bass (again) G & L content

artisan

oh bugger i've only gone & done it again :)
went into PMT Leeds yesterday for a browse around thinking i may buy a cheap backup bass to go with my P,but things didn't quite work out as planned.
I tried loads of basses,mainly Fenders,but nothing floated my boat (including a MIA Jazz & the black top jazz was just aweful),then fell in love with a MM Sterling but decided it was too much money.
almost bought a Yamaha RBX375,which was a damn amazing bass for £275,then spotted a G & L L2000 tribute with a nice flamed maple top----mmmm nice,sounds ace too.
in my opinion the only bass in the shop better than this was the MM & I wasn't spending that much dosh.
after a good haggle i took my new bass home & love it to bits,why have i never even considered a G & L before now.
here it is.

Edited by artisan

[quote name='artisan' timestamp='1316949149' post='1384614']
:)
why have i never even considered a G & L before now.

[/quote]

Dont worry, you are not the only one ! I was in the same boat a few years ago, and was lucky enough to come across a Trib. l2000. I have never looked back. I have since bought a USA SB2, which hands down, beats the pants off [b]any [/b]Fender precision I have tried. There is also the JB2 which completes the main array (there are other G&L basses) of the G&L tone. With the L2000, you almost have all these tones in one bass. I dont know why G&L's are generally over looked. They could be partly to blame themselves, as they dont market themselves well.

That's a lovely bass you have there. Enjoy ! :)

Edited by Coilte

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1316951418' post='1384654']

Dont worry, you are not the only one ! I was in the same boat a few years ago, and was lucky enough to come across a Trib. l2000. I have never looked back. I have since bought a USA SB2, which hands down, beats the pants off [b]any [/b]Fender precision I have tried. There is also the JB2 which completes the main array (there are other G&L basses) of the G&L tone. With the L2000, you almost have all these tones in one bass. I dont know why G&L's are generally over looked. They could be partly to blame themselves, as they dont market themselves well.

That's a lovely bass you have there. Enjoy ! :)[/quote]
I'm seriously thinking about trading my jazz bass in for a sb2, how would you describe the neck and the tone?

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1316958477' post='1384782']
I'm seriously thinking about trading my jazz bass in for a sb2, how would you describe the neck and the tone?
[/quote]

If you prefer the jazz tone, then the SB2 may not be for you. However, with the SB2 you get the best of both jazz and precision worlds. Here are the specs :

[url="http://www.glguitars.com/instruments/USA/basses/SB2/index.asp"]http://www.glguitars.com/instruments/USA/basses/SB2/index.asp[/url]

The split coil pick up is [b]HOT[/b]. Used on it's own, you get very close to a Fender Precision tone. I find the neck ( 1.5" wide and 12" radius) very comfortable.

Lovely bass dude! G&L tributes seem to be such good value at that pricepoint and they sound great! I really wanted to buy one earlier this year, but when I actually tried one in a local store, I realised it just wasn't for me; the neck felt massive and awkward unfortunately (I do have dlightly girly hands!).

A good score, hope you enjoy it.

[quote name='TRBboy' timestamp='1317056609' post='1386136'] when I actually tried one in a local store, I realised it just wasn't for me; the neck felt massive and awkward unfortunately (I do have dlightly girly hands!).
[/quote]

Yes, the Tribute L2000's neck does not suit everyone. Trib. L2000 necks come in only one size, 1.75" @ the nut and 12" radius. With USA L2000's you have a choice of necks, the most popular being the jazz neck. You could always try out a Trib. JB2. Not as versatile sounding as the L2000, but a great bass for the money none the less, and has the jazz neck.

[quote name='Spaced' timestamp='1317056035' post='1386119']
I've seen a lot of love for G&L while lurking. Fenders haven't yet appealed, but I might pop into PMT Leeds and try a few G&Ls. Thanks =]
[/quote]

i'd give them a ring first as they don't stock them at the Leeds store,this one was brought over from Manchester specially for a customer who never turned up for it,his loss my gain :)
but i'm shure they can get them over pretty quickly for you.

cheers for all the comments guys,i only wish i'd tried one of these before now.

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1317059377' post='1386191']

Yes, the Tribute L2000's neck does not suit everyone. Trib. L2000 necks come in only one size, 1.75" @ the nut and 12" radius. With USA L2000's you have a choice of necks, the most popular being the jazz neck. You could always try out a Trib. JB2. Not as versatile sounding as the L2000, but a great bass for the money none the less, and has the jazz neck.[/quote]

Hmmm..... Interesting! I like the look of the SB; does this have the jazz neck too? Probably not much chance of me finding one in a store to try......

[quote name='TRBboy' timestamp='1317064279' post='1386307']
Hmmm..... Interesting! I like the look of the SB; does this have the jazz neck too? Probably not much chance of me finding one in a store to try......
[/quote]

Yes, the Tribute SB2 has a jazz neck. Here is one on EBay :
[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/G-L-TRIBUTE-SB-2-ELECTRIC-BASS-GUITAR-w-GIG-BAG-NEW-/120628679470?pt=Guitar&hash=item1c1607932e"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/G-L-TRIBUTE-SB-2-ELECTRIC-BASS-GUITAR-w-GIG-BAG-NEW-/120628679470?pt=Guitar&hash=item1c1607932e[/url]

You may be lucky and find one in a shop close to you if you do some research.

[quote name='artisan' timestamp='1317062855' post='1386273']

i'd give them a ring first as they don't stock them at the Leeds store,this one was brought over from Manchester specially for a customer who never turned up for it,his loss my gain :)
but i'm shure they can get them over pretty quickly for you.
[/quote]

Ah okay, I'll do that if I get round to trying a G&L out. Cheers