Why become a member? ×

When did Fenders become non-smoking?

4 Strings

[size=4][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][color=#000000]Many players were taking the covers off from day 1. They were a nuisance if you wanted to play over the pickup and a pain when you were changing strings. I think they look pretty in pictures but that's all. [/color][/font][/size]

[size=4][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][color=#000000]The tug bar was equally useless and the strap button on the back of the head. Why they lasted so long I don’t know.[/color][/font][/size]

Edited by chris_b

Thanks all, I'll take the 1982 (ish as these things never seem finite, basses can sit in shops for a while). I thought it was later than that.

I can't play with them on but so many do/did (Jameson, Entwhistle etc). I keep the bridge one on my Precision as it looks cool but means I can't play dampened with my palm on the bridge.

I know most have been removed but there should be screw holes if fitted originally.

Is there any tonal benefit to the covers? I've never played a bass with them on and can't imagine it makes them more comfortable but with likes of jamerson and miller using them i can't help but think there's got to be some benefit beyond the aesthetic?

Supposedly the covers have some effect on the pickups, i'm not sure if they were intended to contain or reflect the magnetic field (perhaps an attempt to improve sustain?), or if they were just supposed to reduce interference and noise. I'm sure you'll find plenty of people willing to claim they have an effect on tone, but there's no great players with great tone I can think of who left the covers on. (edit: I'm sure that'll sound like an invitation for someone to post a bunch of pics of famous players with pickup covers on and prove me wrong!)

Edited by electric nate

[quote name='electric nate' timestamp='1316951963' post='1384668']
Supposedly the covers have some effect on the pickups, i'm not sure if they were intended to contain or reflect the magnetic field (perhaps an attempt to improve sustain?), or if they were just supposed to reduce interference and noise. I'm sure you'll find plenty of people willing to claim they have an effect on tone, but there's no great players with great tone I can think of who left the covers on. (edit: I'm sure that'll sound like [b]an invitation for someone to post a bunch of pics of famous players with pickup covers on[/b] and prove me wrong!)
[/quote]

Why not?