Why become a member? ×

Fretless Jazz Bass Type Thingy

Rumple

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='stoker' timestamp='1337462303' post='1660558']
That is looking really nice!
[/quote]
[quote name='nugget' timestamp='1338794909' post='1679194']
Havent been on here for a while, really cool progress - love the stain over the burr, looking good
[/quote]

Thanks chaps

[quote name='Rumple' timestamp='1331582098' post='1575366']
Here's a new picture with the scratchplate, it looks a bit jagged because it still has the protective covering on it, but you get a good idea of how it's going to look.
[/quote]

Ha! Was just fantasising about a new build with this shape scratchplate after seeing that Hamer Cruise in the For Sale section today... great minds, eh? ;)

Edited by discreet

You know what Mark I came up with that scratchplate idea, I thought I was being original I had no idea it had been done before :lol:

I really like that Hamer that's for sale, small string spacing, 5 strings, green hmm....

[quote name='Rumple' timestamp='1338806789' post='1679399']
I really like that Hamer that's for sale, small string spacing, 5 strings, green hmm....
[/quote]

That is a bargain for sure Dave - if you've got the cabbage, go for it. A real investment.

• 4 weeks later...

It's been a while since I did an update on this so here goes:

Due to some cracking in the finish meaning the lacquer on the body needs to be re-done I'm changing my mind on the final look, although there is a lot of patching on the applied veneer and they will show I'm going to have a much smaller burst next time so more of the teal stained veneer shows.

So a minor problem I think will result in a better looking end result.

• 3 months later...

I thought I'd post this picture from Lawrence of WIP on the body, it now has a 1mm epoxy cap on the top, this should stop any reaction between the tops vaneer and the final finish.

I really like the way the brown bits show through the staining and have high hopes it's going to be stunningly unique when finished.

[attachment=120536:DavesJazzBody lr.jpg]

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately I can't upload pictures to the site any more, I still have space left but it just fails to upload :(

I've decided to put Status half wounds on instead of the EB rounds, I've got a set on my SR5 and really like them.

Lawrence thinks it should be finished by the end of Jan, hopefully the uploader will be working again by then.

[quote name='Rumple' timestamp='1349854690' post='1831236']
I thought I'd post this picture from Lawrence of WIP on the body, it now has a 1mm epoxy cap on the top, this should stop any reaction between the tops vaneer and the final finish.

I really like the way the brown bits show through the staining and have high hopes it's going to be stunningly unique when finished.

[attachment=120536:DavesJazzBody lr.jpg]
[/quote]

That colour is realy realy nice mate. I to like the way the brown is showing through. My kind of colours and finish. Nice one.

A

[quote name='apa' timestamp='1354288853' post='1884517']
That colour is realy realy nice mate. I to like the way the brown is showing through. My kind of colours and finish. Nice one.

A
[/quote]
Yeah the photos don't really do it justice. After the original finish foibles Dave had the option to pull the edge of the sunburst right back, showing much more of the veneer.

[quote name='henry norton' timestamp='1354356271' post='1885065']
Yeah the photos don't really do it justice. After the original finish foibles Dave had the option to pull the edge of the sunburst right back, showing much more of the veneer.
[/quote]

I think that was a lucky for me as it's going to look nicer with a smaller burst, not so lucky for you who has had extra work to do.

• 1 month later...

Here's a recent picture of the body now the finish has been re-done, it will be another week of so before Lawrence can flatten and polish it.

[url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/dave-young/8373470332/in/set-72157627369546624/lightbox/"]http://www.flickr.com/photos/dave-young/8373470332/in/set-72157627369546624/lightbox/[/url]

• 2 weeks later...