Why become a member? ×

Fretless Jazz Bass Type Thingy

Rumple

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='umcoo' timestamp='1324232496' post='1472119']
Any update on this Rumple? I do love a good build thread!
[/quote]

Thanks for the interest, I've had a conversation with Lawrence recently about neck profiles and I'm going to go with a standard Jazz Bass shape, I know the truss rod has been fitted into the maple neck blank, I'm not sure if the carving has started yet on the neck or routing of the body.

With a little luck I'll have some updated pics to post in the not too distant future.

R.

[quote name='Rumple' timestamp='1324233347' post='1472139']

With a little luck I'll have some updated pics to post in the not too distant future.

R.
[/quote]
Indeed. More pictures on the way this week. Some workspace issues have held this build back a fair bit this Autumn but it's progressing steadily.

A fretless plain maple Jazz - I'm really looking forward to seeing this all together. In fact, I like the idea so much I'm going to build myself one when Dave's is all finished ;)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Davebassics' timestamp='1329089135' post='1537135']
Got to love the P/J on a J Body. Looking forward to seeing the final results.
[/quote]

It will be my first PJ combination since I had a Westone Thunder IIIA back in the late 80's!

I'm know things have progressed a fair bit since the last pictures I posted but Lawrence and I are having problems with e-mails going missing, gremlims in the ether :lol: update soon hopefully.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

All the bit's assembled as a test run, electrics all working.

Nut still needs cutting, scratchplate is in the process of being refined and the finish needs doing but I'm loving the way it looks so far.

[attachment=102013:DSCN2342.JPG]

[attachment=102014:DSCN2343.JPG]

[attachment=102015:DSCN2345.JPG]

Edited by Rumple

Here's a new picture with the scratchplate, it looks a bit jagged because it still has the protective covering on it, but you get a good idea of how it's going to look.

Lawrence and I are keeping our fingers crossed for some dry weather so the mumidity stays low and he can get started on applying the finish to the body.

[attachment=102332:DSCN2367.JPG]

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Rumple' timestamp='1331582098' post='1575366']
Here's a new picture with the scratchplate, it looks a bit jagged because it still has the protective covering on it, but you get a good idea of how it's going to look.

Lawrence and I are keeping our fingers crossed for some dry weather so the mumidity stays low and he can get started on applying the finish to the body.

[attachment=102332:DSCN2367.JPG]
[/quote]

Nice project you have out there

[quote name='sprocket123' timestamp='1332768541' post='1592774']
Nice project you have out there
[/quote]

Thank You.

I think Lawrence is staining the body this week and hopefully he can get the top coat on before his up coming holiday, that way it can harden while he's away.

• 1 month later...

Here's a couple of pictures of the progress on the body finish, it still needs polishing etc.

I actually preferred it before the burst was added but because the top veneer has been patched in places and the edges aren't pretty it had to be done to hide the imperfections (see first post for explanation)

I realise it's 'Marmite' look but I really like it :)

[attachment=108255:Teal lr.jpg]

[attachment=108256:burst lr.jpg]