Why become a member? ×

Bass Brites

Pete Academy

[quote]BassBrites have a special formula that [i]deoxidizes [/i]the strings in addition to cleaning them.[/quote]Snake Oil, right there.

[quote]BassBrites clean out the dirt and oil AND prevent oxidation and corrosion that comes from acid in your hands.[/quote]
WD40???

[quote name='OzzyGreg' timestamp='1316644335' post='1381001']
I generally let 'em boil for 5 minutes or so.

You can usually see the scum building up on top of the water as it goes! YUK!

Greg
[/quote]
I like to boil up my strings when I'm finished with them and have them as emergency spares. But when I've done it, I've left them cooking for half an hour or more so it gets a chance to really heat the metal and re-tension it... I've never had scum on top though. :)

When I worked in London, in a Engineering Co (Lucas Aerospace) they had a massive ultra sonic cleaning tank and I used to bung my strings in there with a torpedo casing( I kid you not) and they came out as new.

I haven't tried it on strings yet but I think Milton (baby stuff) is great for cleaning metal watch straps etc, so I don't see why it wouldn't do strings. NB- Milton is not good for silver, pure or plated.

[quote]
but they are never as bright as they were before, or for as long!
[/quote]

Yeah, I know that's what "they" say, but I've never noticed any difference to be perfectly honest.
New (unboiled) strings need cleaning just as often as old, multiple-boiled strings. The contaminants build up just as quickly with either.
The brightness disappears at the same rate too.
(I reckon it's an old wive's tale myself, brought about by the old "my ears are superior to yours" crowd!)

I'm no metallurgist, but I'm sure 100 degrees Celcius is nowhere near enough temperature to affect the steel's molecular structure in any significant way. I'm pretty sure that steel needs to be heated to at least 550 degrees C before it even begins to change colour!

Not a great analogy, but ......If this was the case then car engines would underperform for the remainder of their now apparently much shortened lives if they ran up to that temperature ([i]without running out of coolant altogether[/i]) then cooled down a few times.

Bass strings in boiling water?.... A bit of expansion and contraction, that would be about it, probably not a great deal more than a good hard pluck on a cold string during playing actually! (Ok, that's tension and release, not temperature-based changes, but the length of the string still alters and returns.)

Greg [i](Always willing to go out on a limb and be shot off it for the sake of a discussion)[/i]

Edited by OzzyGreg

I'm blessed with distinctly unsuperior ears :)

I do know that no amount of boiling will remove tarnish, rust spots or the effects of aging when strings have been used a while and boiled a few times! Sadly the gloss [i]will [/i]fade.

If you want to save a few bob then boil away, I did for years!

It would be interesting to get the feedback on this topic from a manufacturer, other than the obvious " don't do it as we can sell more"

[quote name='OzzyGreg' timestamp='1316728824' post='1382199']
Actually, I just thought of something that might work very well without any heat....

White spirits.

Soak them for a day, then swish the strings around in a container of that for a few minutes.

I'm going to give that a go next time!

Greg
[/quote]
Yep. That's known to work quite well. http://basschat.co.uk/topic/105958-cleaning-strings-with-methylated-spirit :)

Edited by Musky

In the past i have just binned the old strings and stuck a set of new ones on.
I did boil one set of strings for about ten mins(once) and a lot of scum did float to the top,
I stuck back'em back on the bass they came off, but i didnt really find the results all that impressive,
maybe I'll just put the boiled ones onto my P,for that "thump" or even stick 'em on my Bison.and keep the new ones for my J.
That should save a few quid over the year.