Why become a member? ×

whats the BEST double bass you can buy for £1000 or less

petercullenbassist

At the suggestion of OutToPlayJazz I got one of these [url="http://www.gear4music.com/Woodwind-Brass-Strings/Archer-3-4-size-professional-Double-Bass/8UV"]Archer double basses[/url] for PLux, we had it strung with Thomastiks and set up properly, which bumped the price up a little over the 1000, but the result soudns amazing.

Everyone who has heard it who knows double basses (like Plux's teacher) has been seriously impressed with it, its just a huge sounding bass.

Highly recommended by me then :)

Topics [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=77602&st=0"]here[/url] and [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=103170&hl=archer"]here[/url]

I played one of those in G4M's showroom and the metal tailpiece really put me off. I did think it could be a decent bass but I thought it would cost a fortune to improve it and I thought it was a bit of a gamble.

It was the only bass they had on the floor that was any good though. The rest were worse than school instruments - most looked like they'd had the strings and bridge thrown at them as an afterthought.

I would do what I did - buy a second hand solid top for around £600 and spend the rest on a setup, strings and pickup experiments.

That easily hit a grand. Those extra costs are serious and are easily overlooked, and that's why I would hesitate over a new instrument.

Edited by fatback

Pete,
The initial bass purchase is often just the start.
So I concur with Mr. Back, your budget should include purchase of bass, then possible/probable set up, string, pickup purchase and a decent bag, or case.
I hope you're pockets are deep, or you've still got both kidneys, either way it can prove an expensive journey, but worthwhile.
6 basses, 5 pickup/pre's, multiple string purchases later and I've finally settled on what I play.
Obviously there are those who's initial purchase has been "it" with no further outlay required......b@**¥#%:s!
Often some nice instruments on sale here.
Best wishes with your search

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1316162756' post='1375208']
At the suggestion of OutToPlayJazz I got one of these [url="http://www.gear4music.com/Woodwind-Brass-Strings/Archer-3-4-size-professional-Double-Bass/8UV"]Archer double basses[/url] for PLux, we had it strung with Thomastiks and set up properly, which bumped the price up a little over the 1000, but the result soudns amazing.

Everyone who has heard it who knows double basses (like Plux's teacher) has been seriously impressed with it, its just a huge sounding bass.

Highly recommended by me then

Topics [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=77602&st=0"]here[/url] and [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=103170&hl=archer"]here[/url]

[/quote]

I am in LOVE with that bass! just read your other topic and was really interesting. just bought a 60s czech bass to start with, but will most lightly invest in one in the new year. thanks!! :)

[quote name='petercullenbassist' timestamp='1316716096' post='1381956']

I am in LOVE with that bass! just read your other topic and was really interesting. just bought a 60s czech bass to start with, but will most lightly invest in one in the new year. thanks!! :)
[/quote]

Listened to Plux playing it again tonight, it just gets warmer and warmer the more he plays it. Love the sound, both pizz and arco with those srtings on.

Got an archer as well and very happy with it. Spent £300 notes on a good setup, including some Honeys, bridge lower and light fret skim. Action still quite high for Jazz but I also bow and it is a great compromise.

The only thing to remember is the thing is built to a price so the finish is mass produced hand made (if you get my drift).

[quote name='Thurbs' timestamp='1317392424' post='1390290']
Got an archer as well and very happy with it. Spent £300 notes on a good setup, including some Honeys, bridge lower and light fret skim. Action still quite high for Jazz but I also bow and it is a great compromise.

The only thing to remember is the thing is built to a price so the finish is mass produced hand made (if you get my drift).
[/quote]

you know becouse it doesnt have a Ebony fingerboard, do you find the black comes off the fingerboard? i have a double bass that doesnt have a ,ebony fingerboard and i find that the black comes off on my hand.

cheap basses under a thousand there isnt many good ones about ive just bought one of those stentor blonde rockabilly basses on thonman site they are listed at between 680 to 740 ish when i got it took the metal tailpeice off and the ajustable bridge set it up and boy they sound crap even with inovation strings the fingerboard is ebonized it has dips and highs down the fingerboard and if you skim the board you would have to take the plasticky ebonising off so onto the next project we have picked a primavera 50 up for 480 pounds and this is twice the bass build and tone remembering this is a cheaper bass retailing at 900 ish on ebay but a hell of alot better han these cheap rockabilly bass you cant beat an old german or czeck bass for rockabilly even if they are a bit beat up im sticking with my 37 kay

Edited by rockabillybob1

[quote name='rockabillybob1' timestamp='1317554279' post='1391684']
cheap basses under a thousand there isnt many good ones about ive just bought one of those stentor blonde rockabilly basses on thonman site they are listed at between 680 to 740 ish when i got it took the metal tailpeice off and the ajustable bridge set it up and boy they sound crap even with inovation strings the fingerboard is ebonized it has dips and highs down the fingerboard and if you skim the board you would have to take the plasticky ebonising off so onto the next project we have picked a primavera 50 up for 480 pounds and this is twice the bass build and tone remembering this is a cheaper bass retailing at 900 ish on ebay but a hell of alot better han these cheap rockabilly bass you cant beat an old german or czeck bass for rockabilly even if they are a bit beat up im sticking with my 37 kay
[/quote] stay away from these below 680 to 740 on certain sites offering them with inovation strings needs a gud bass to go with the strings

Speaking of which, I have a Zeller Bass for sale. It's about 25 years old, almost mint condition. Solid top & back, Ebony fingerboard & tailpiece. I swopped it for an electric piano I had about 10 years ago but I have never used it. I wanted it for a spare but my own bass is fine. Its got a cover which I had already but it's not that well padded. The bass has a nice rounded tone with good lows and is well set up. I don't think any money needs spending on it. I'm looking for £800.00. Not looking for any silly offers as it's worth more.

Rockabillybob1 seems to have had a pretty bad experience with the blonde rockabilly stentors, but the (quite different model) stentor 1950C that I have seems to be a far better machine in that price range - not that I'm slapping it.

Things like the finish are just fine, in fact it gets compliments. Minimal setup has been required. The fingerboard has had a wee high spot taken off by the nut at the E string but the rest was flat. I've been really happy with it - although my opinion comes with a health warning - it's my first double bass and I've had it less than a year.

Maybe mine was a Monday morning job and that one a Friday afternoon .... or the trainees were on the rockabilly line that week or something.