Why become a member? ×

Sandbergs - Tell me about them please - Cali JM4 / PM4

xilddx

[quote name='mike257' post='1374474' date='Sep 15 2011, 02:26 PM']Yeah, I think the bodies/necks are cut by CNC, but all the assembly and finishing is a hand job. Ahem.[/quote]
Rough cut by cnc and then hand finished. My basic pm is no oil painting but what a bass, makes everything else feel, meh. And it was very reasonably priced too. What's not to like?

If you are ordering or looking to find a Sandberg bass please note that due to obvious copyright issues they have had to change the names of all their models and here is a page on their website which explains what is what now:

[url="http://www.sandberg-guitars.de/news/current-news/425-pickup-names"]http://www.sandberg-guitars.de/news/curren...25-pickup-names[/url]

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1374941' date='Sep 15 2011, 10:06 PM']If you are ordering or looking to find a Sandberg bass please note that due to obvious copyright issues they have had to change the names of all their models and here is a page on their website which explains what is what now:

[url="http://www.sandberg-guitars.de/news/current-news/425-pickup-names"]http://www.sandberg-guitars.de/news/curren...25-pickup-names[/url][/quote]

Ah yes, good point GW! T = J pickup and V = P pickup. So a PM is now a VM, JM is now a TM.

If you are looking for an alternative have you considered a Mayones (hand built in Poland – [url="http://www.mayones.com/en/dokumenty/basses)?"]http://www.mayones.com/en/dokumenty/basses)?[/url]?

I got a passive jazz from Mark at Bass Direct and put an East active circuit in it. It’s a great bass – really well put together with a great feel and sounds really nice!

[quote name='Spoombung' post='1375138' date='Sep 16 2011, 08:21 AM']You should also consider the Polish GMR basses - they have them at Bass Merchant. They're infinitely better designed than Sandbergs - shaped ergonomically with slimmer necks and better balance[/quote]

I totally disagree, i think that looks fugly, but then im not in to extended top horns, or Warwicks.

The attraction to Sandbergs is the modern take on classic shapes and tones. Similar, I guess, to why I like the Mayones Jabba Jazz basses.

Problem is, im fussy with Jazz pickups. Call me old fashioned, but normal USA Fender Jazz pups are hard to beat. I love the aethestics of the Delano pups, but id have to spend time with the bass for a few hours to determine if I really get on with their pups.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1375172' date='Sep 16 2011, 09:09 AM']I totally disagree, i think that looks fugly, but then im not in to extended top horns, or Warwicks.[/quote]

The majority of Sandbergs are basically Fenders with heavy hardware. They're heavy, chunky things... usually with neck dive. No amount of 'relic' or 'roughing up will disguise this. The GMR has extended horns for a reason: balance and comfort. The reason I mentioned them was that comfort seemed important to the poster. Someone has thought about the GMR design in relation to to the human body, unlike the Sandberg Fender-appropriated models which are cosmetic variations on the original. The GMR will sit up in the lap and the strap, will have great contouring and have a slim neck. It might suit him!

[quote name='Spoombung' post='1375207' date='Sep 16 2011, 09:44 AM']The majority of Sandbergs are basically Fenders with heavy hardware. They're heavy, chunky things... usually with neck dive. No amount of 'relic' or 'roughing up will disguise this. The GMR has extended horns for a reason: balance and comfort. The reason I mentioned them was that comfort seemed important to the poster. Someone has thought about the GMR design in relation to to the human body, unlike the Sandberg Fender-appropriated models which are cosmetic variations on the original. The GMR will sit up in the lap and the strap, will have great contouring and have a slim neck. It might suit him![/quote]

Fair enough, it might suit him although it looks nothing like the JM/PM he was asking about, which of course are Fender clones.

Each to his/her own. My comment about it was purely from my point of view, based on the look. I have never had an issue with any Fender type basses being hard or uncomfortable to wear for long periods of time, and i think any of those extended top horn basses look like you have a penis 12" from your mouth ;-)

Edited by dave_bass5

Just to through my views into the pot.
I have used and owned 3 Sandbergs over the years and find them to be great basses. The build and sound quality is first class.

You could consider a Clover bass as an alternative....... I picked up the Clover 15.6 a few days ago and can confirm they are as good as a Sandberg for build and sound. In fact I prefer the Clover as it is lighter than the Sandberg and has a very modern smooth full range sound with an amazing quiet preamp by Dalano.

[quote name='Spoombung' post='1375138' date='Sep 16 2011, 08:21 AM']

You should also consider the Polish GMR basses - they have them at Bass Merchant. [b]They're infinitely better designed than Sandbergs [/b]- shaped ergonomically with slimmer necks and better balance[/quote]
Can you explain this mate? I can't really see how it's possible.

The problem for me is that these GMR and Mayones and the like look very, very ugly to my mind, and too musicianly, if you see what I mean. I need a bass design that reflects my personality and the music I play.

This just isn't me ..

This is ..

Edited by silddx

[quote name='Spoombung' post='1375138' date='Sep 16 2011, 08:21 AM']You should also consider the Polish GMR basses - they have them at Bass Merchant. They're infinitely better designed than Sandbergs - shaped ergonomically with slimmer necks and better balance[/quote]

I'm sure they're nice, but they are at least double the price of a brand new Sandberg!

In what way are Sandbergs not well designed, not ergonomics and not well balanced? Which Sandberg models have you owned!? My Basic is extremely well balanced and comfortable even after playing for 3 hours. The Californias are about as balanced and well designed as..... well, a Fender, only they feel much, much better!

Like I said, I'm sure the GMRs are great and all, and I know a lot of people like that sort of thing, but I could never justify paying a massive premium for a "blingy" bit of wood (plus I'd feel like an ar*$hole playing it in a rock band!).

One man's coq au vin is another man's chicken in a basket! :)

[quote name='Spoombung' post='1375319' date='Sep 16 2011, 11:29 AM']That's a rather enthusiastic '+10000'

Oh, I give up. I will leave the big chunky, heavy basses for the poor unfortunates who think they deserve them![/quote]

Actually i only meant to type 100 but my bloody iPhone likes to mess with me lol.

I just really hate the look of those basses, with a passion, even though i know they are lovely basses.

My Squier CV weighs just over 8lbs (and only cost £280), thats more than light enough for a 3 hour gig, at least for me. In fact any lighter and it just wouldn't feel right.

Edited by dave_bass5

The Mayones Jabba basses are nice, but i dont like their other designs.

The Sandberg bread and butter type Fender basses are no doubt their best sellers.

Now an American Standard Fender is £1000-1100 +, these Sandbergs on the German websites seem very good value. Why we pay so much in the UK for any equipment from Europe is beyond me.

My suspicions are, we are used to it, so the dealers carry on!

[quote name='lowfer' post='1375447' date='Sep 16 2011, 01:09 PM']I had a Sandberg JM5, infact the one in my avatar. While the bass was well made just never got on with the tone, it neither offered a jazz tone or a music man tone, so moved it on for a music man 5 string and a squire classic vibe jazz. Never played a PM so can't comment[/quote]

Another good point....... For anyone considering buying a JM or PM blind; They do not do "Musicman". Because the humbucker is right back at the bridge it works just like a fuller, more gutsy jazz pickup. I find with my PM that it works really well, and there's not the output difference that I've experienced with PJ setups before e.g. the bridge pickup does not sound weak compared to the P pickup.