Why become a member? ×

Adding tube sound

KingPrawn

Hello All

A simple ask. Is there a specific pedal, that can give me a little bit of tube sound grunt? i use solid state stuff. im trying to get a 70's rock sound. not sure if i need distortion, or overdrive .I was thinking a tube pedal. It only needs a touch. Most pedals i have tried are to aggressive.

Thanksin advance

[quote name='yorick' post='1369743' date='Sep 11 2011, 07:39 PM']Or on a cheaper budget, the Behringer BDI21. Budget version of the Sansamp :)[/quote]
+1 to that, nice little piece of kit, and very reasonably priced.

However, I was looking for exactly the same thing, warmth without the "full-on" gain, and was recommended DHA pedals. I now use the DHA VT-1 Bass Drive. It really does add just that tube warmth, without making the bass sound over distorted (unless you put it on full, that is).

[quote name='KingPrawn' post='1369659' date='Sep 11 2011, 06:33 PM']Hello All

A simple ask. Is there a specific pedal, that can give me a little bit of tube sound grunt? i use solid state stuff. im trying to get a 70's rock sound. not sure if i need distortion, or overdrive .I was thinking a tube pedal. It only needs a touch. Most pedals i have tried are to aggressive.

Thanksin advance[/quote]

Does it have to be a pedal? The rackmounted Ampeg SVP preamp gets halfway to SVT grunt/grind/balls. It also does clean.

[quote name='KingPrawn' post='1372910' date='Sep 14 2011, 10:07 AM']Lots to think about. Ive had a look at the Sanamp vt programable any thought?[/quote]

I've got that, and it's great for live as you can have 3 analog sounds for your live gig on the tip of your toe and it's very easy to tweak.. built like brick... and the blend is very good for get the balance between your bass and the tube

• 2 months later...

I've just bought an old 2007 DHA VT1. I was using it with 9v, I ordered a 12v adaptor... holy crap! Amazing difference and the tube glows now!

This pedal, combined with my EQ gets me about 95% of the tones I need for my band. It's beautiful! Everything I had hoped it would be... gurgly(??!!), fat, warm and infinately tweakable. Sounds good with all my passive Jazz's.

Would LOVE the EQ version. May go on santa's list.

[quote name='Walker' timestamp='1321377685' post='1438461']
I've just bought an old 2007 DHA VT1. I was using it with 9v, I ordered a 12v adaptor... holy crap! Amazing difference and the tube glows now!

This pedal, combined with my EQ gets me about 95% of the tones I need for my band. It's beautiful! Everything I had hoped it would be... gurgly(??!!), fat, warm and infinately tweakable. Sounds good with all my passive Jazz's.

Would LOVE the EQ version. May go on santa's list.
[/quote]

Dave's work is deserving of all the praise it can get. I loved my VT2 and only sold it because it was too big. I miss it every time I play.

All the above would do it- I had the Sansamp BDDI which was great.

Have you thought about a modelling pod?- I have the line 6 basspod and the basspod live and these do amazing things-not as simple as the options above but the sansamp effect in the pod is easily as good as the Sansamp and the compressor is very high end.

Fantastic for recording but live I find I only use a little overdrive- just to warm up the sound - and the compressor.

And you can get these very cheap- got one from ebay, as new with a gig bag for £86 delivered.