Why become a member? ×

Improve the growl factor

FourStrung

Typically that 'growl' is thought of as a strong low mid presence as seen in Warwicks, so look at your EQ in relation to that. There is also a jazz bass 'growl', caused by that burpy sound from the bridge pickup. Try playing closer to the bridge and see if this improves things for you.

On the other hand, some basses just do not 'growl'. Some have a little bit when you're really digging in and playing hard but more often than not it seems dicated by wood choice and pickup placement. You can try and make the most of what you have through string choice and EQ'ing but nothing is going to change the inherent tonal character of a bass.

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1369771' date='Sep 11 2011, 08:58 PM']Rotosound roundwounds. Love `em, and they make my Precisions do exactly that - growl. Must admit, I prefer them when they`re old, but new there`s lots of growl and zing in them.[/quote]
A string change sounds a cool solution, thanks for the tip.
I don't know a great deal about bass strings as I played guitar mostly, but now having a lot of fun on the bass

Edited by FourStrung

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1369728' date='Sep 11 2011, 07:29 PM']You could just buy a Stingray :) some folk don't like the fact they always growl even when you don't want it too though.[/quote]

Indeed, just that pickup position that Stingrays use gets a growl (often referred to as the "Stingray position" when looking at other basses with a humbucker in the same position). It's not so close to the bridge that it 'honks' effortlessly, not so close to the neck that it's muddy. It just captures that low mid rang burp that makes a bass growl.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1369810' date='Sep 11 2011, 08:27 PM']It's also the position I find you need to play with attack on none MM basses to get the growl,[/quote]

You're absolutely right. I never play near the neck and you just lose that punch and definition. My Zoot bass has a Bartolini humbucker in the MM position and playing over that just nets bags of growl!

[quote name='krazy_olie' post='1370252' date='Sep 12 2011, 11:40 AM']I find nickels growlier than steels.[/quote]

eg, GHS Boomers.

Not as 'brittle' or 'zingy' as Rotosounds. The G string is a bit fatter sounding on my Precision.

Writing about sound is like dancing about architecture, though. One man's growl is another man's clank.

[quote name='bremen' post='1370266' date='Sep 12 2011, 12:54 PM']eg, GHS Boomers.

Not as 'brittle' or 'zingy' as Rotosounds. The G string is a bit fatter sounding on my Precision.

Writing about sound is like dancing about architecture, though. One man's growl is another man's clank.[/quote]
Guess we are still talking roundwound, what about gauge?

Edited by FourStrung

Chris is right.. some basses just dont growl... but its not the bass on woods and construction alone..imo.. its a collection of things..

a growl (imo) is obtained by a certain string, a certain wind of pickups, a certain action, and in preamp cases, a certain preamp.. imo pulling the strings aggressively can do it, but sometimes chokes a note.. depends on your touch, and what your playing i guess....

sorry Chris , but imo a jazz bass with bias to the bridge is not really growl....... its a very focused tone, with no spill..

get a great roundwound string with a fat gauge.. not a hex core.. there way too tight.... you want it nice and floppy.. :) then if you can afford it some
lindy Fralin P pups.. growl central

Edited by bubinga5

noticed a post about what we all think about growl... this is growl to me.. i will throw it out there and see what other peoples views are...?? as my growl may be very different to others.. headphones are needed.. this is very subtle growl and its on higher strings,.. but its there.. he has Lindy Fralins on this USA jazz..

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9d9eydCfTdw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9d9eydCfTdw[/url]

[quote name='bubinga5' post='1370398' date='Sep 12 2011, 02:25 PM']Chris is right.. some basses just dont growl... but its not the bass on woods and construction alone..imo.. its a collection of things..

a growl (imo) is obtained by a certain string, a certain wind of pickups, a certain action, and in preamp cases, a certain preamp.. imo pulling the strings aggressively can do it, but sometimes chokes a note.. depends on your touch, and what your playing i guess....

sorry Chris , but imo a jazz bass with bias to the bridge is not really growl....... its a very focused tone, with no spill..

get a great roundwound string with a fat gauge.. not a hex core.. there way too tight.... you want it nice and floppy.. :) then if you can afford it some
lindy Fralin P pups.. growl central[/quote]
Remember I have a Precision...

[quote name='bubinga5' post='1370415' date='Sep 12 2011, 01:38 PM']noticed a post about what we all think about growl... this is growl to me.. i will throw it out there and see what other peoples views are...?? as my growl may be very different to others.. headphones are needed.. this is very subtle growl and its on higher strings,.. but its there.. he has Lindy Fralins on this USA jazz..

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9d9eydCfTdw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9d9eydCfTdw[/url][/quote]

This I like a lot!

It's not what I understand 'growl' to mean though. I'm struggling to think of an example...hang on.. ah, here we go:

[quote name='bremen' post='1370424' date='Sep 12 2011, 02:45 PM']This I like a lot!

It's not what I understand 'growl' to mean though. I'm struggling to think of an example...hang on.. ah, here we go:

[/quote]
While I love the bass on the first link, I think this may be closer to what I am seeking, thanks

[quote name='bremen' post='1370424' date='Sep 12 2011, 01:45 PM']This I like a lot!

[/quote]
Yep like that tone alot.. for sure that is growl..... i guess there are different growls out there.. im sure its the fact that hes playing in the higher register though..

i define a growl as a certain tone that has very fast vibrato, in any frequency.. sounds like a pbass though.. sounds like he using an effect.. although i have no idea about effects

Edited by bubinga5