Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

P Bass Pups

Pow_22

[quote name='Pow_22' post='1360703' date='Sep 3 2011, 09:24 AM']Ive been after some pups for my latest P bass project and have been offered this set. The pups have come out of a 2008 USA p bass. Would these then be the same as the Fender Originals you can buy for circa £60?[/quote]
No, the Fender Originals are the pups in the 57 & 62 Reissue. But the pups from a 2008 will be nice.

Hmmmm, im a bit stuck what to do here. My original choice was going to be a Wizard THumper. Then i considered the Fender Originals, just because of the genuine old school p bass thump. However, this USA set have been offered cheap (circa £30) but im not sure how good the new stuff is? Say in comparison to what the MIM's come loaded with how would the USA's perform?

In my opinion, the US pickups are better. I remember seeing a thread on here about the outputs of various Fender pickups, and the MIM was about 4.5, compared to the US 10.5.

Now what that all means soundwise I couldn`t say, but my US Precisions have a much fuller sound that my MIM did. The MIM had more "in your face twang", whereas the US is much more balanced. This I also find with the other bassist in my band, whose bass is MIM. His is a twangy Precision, mine is a thuddy Precision.

Edited by Lozz196

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1362780' date='Sep 5 2011, 12:42 PM']In my opinion, the US pickups are better. I remember seeing a thread on here about the outputs of various Fender pickups, and the MIM was about 4.5, compared to the US 10.5.

Now what that all means soundwise I couldn`t say, but my US Precisions have a much fuller sound that my MIM did. The MIM had more "in your face twang", whereas the US is much more balanced. This I also find with the other bassist in my band, whose bass is MIM. His is a twangy Precision, mine is a thuddy Precision.[/quote]

Might be to do with other things. But I found my MIM was more twangy with an Original Fender pup than it was with the stock MIM with the tone rolled on - quite a bark, even with flats. Different beast with the tone rolled off (to the point of being unusable in a band setting). More bottom and more top. Great pups they are.

Stock MIM was darker. I quite liked it. Output was less though.

• 2 weeks later...