Why become a member? ×

How to keep/store a bass which won't be used for long

GCYPbass

Hi BCers,

As many people have more than one basses or they go abroad for work etc for a long time, I thought it would be helpful for everybody to discuss about this.
BCers who have knowledge about this issue should explain us the right way of keeping the basses we don't use.

neck and body separated?
strings on/off?
truss-rod loosen?
etc.

Give us some info please.

[quote name='chris_b' post='1354036' date='Aug 28 2011, 01:14 AM']If the bass is active just take the battery out and store in a case in a dry place.[/quote]

+1
And slacken the strings - no point in leaving the thing in tune if you're not planning on playing it for a long time.

Yeah, I was under the impression that you shouldn't keep strings off a guitar/bass for long, even to the point where I restring one string at a time to keep the tension. Infact I recall being told by my old boss, when I worked in a guitar shop about a million (20 odd) years ago, that when standing a guitar against something, like a table, it's best to do it strings against the object to actually tighten them. Though I can't remember the exact reason for this and I don't know if this was a fad at the time or something. I've not explained what he meant very well, it's late and I can't think of words.

[quote name='chris_b' post='1354036' date='Aug 28 2011, 01:14 AM']If the bass is active just take the battery out and store in a case in a dry place.[/quote]

+1 to this. I would not slaken the strings. The neck is designed to take the pull of the strings, whether the bass is being played or not.

[quote name='KingBollock' post='1354058' date='Aug 28 2011, 02:41 AM']Yeah, I was under the impression that you shouldn't keep strings off a guitar/bass for long, even to the point where I restring one string at a time to keep the tension.[/quote]

Opinions vary on this. I usually take all the strings off together. It is easier to clean the fret board that way. If you release the pressure on each string gently one at a time, rather than cut them with a pliars while at full tension, the tension release on the neck is gradual. Then remove them. After restringing, the neck may need a short while to return to the way it was before the string change. I have found that if the same brand and tension of new strings are used, the neck needs little or no time to adjust. Depending on the bass, some necks are more sensitive to tension or lack of, then others.

[quote name='BB2000' post='1354056' date='Aug 28 2011, 02:31 AM']Don't slacken the strings, if you do the neck could be damaged due to the unbalanced force exerted by the truss rod.[/quote]
You do slacken the strings, but not right off, down a couple of tones should be about right.
Battery out in an active should be a given.

[quote name='xgsjx' post='1354073' date='Aug 28 2011, 08:01 AM']I've got a storage bay for looking after basses if you want me to put it in there. It'll get regularly cleaned & checked over for just a small monthly fee. :)[/quote]

I opened the thread as general discussion, not specifically for myself but I will keep in mind that there is a storage bay :)

[quote name='chris_b' post='1354396' date='Aug 28 2011, 03:42 PM']I would loosen the string about half a tone if I was posting a bass, but there is no need to slacked strings if the bass is being stored. With the strings and truss rod working as intended how can there be any risk to the neck?[/quote]
Absolutely right.

A properly strung, tuned and adjusted instrument can be stored in a case in reasonable temperatures for as long as you like. The bass doesn't know if it's being played or stored.

There is no need whatever to slacken or remove strings, slacken the truss rod, etc.

If the fingerboard has no finish (not a coated maple board for example) lightly oil it first to help prevent moisture loss or absorption, but you should be doing this anyway.