Why become a member? ×

Hiromi Concert

funkypenguin

[quote name='paul h' post='1350660' date='Aug 24 2011, 07:54 PM']I saw Hiromi with Steve Smith and Anthony Jackson at Ronnie Scott's a while back.

Great gig. Steve Smith was simply incredible.[/quote]

How was AJs playing? :) Im jealous, i couldnt afford to get down to London to catch this gig :) i WILL catch her next time she comes to the UK

[quote name='funkypenguin' post='1350689' date='Aug 24 2011, 08:32 PM']How was AJs playing? :D Im jealous, i couldnt afford to get down to London to catch this gig :lol: i WILL catch her next time she comes to the UK[/quote]

To be totally honest? Weakest of the three. Great technique and chops etc. but no real magic. Nothing to make you sit up and take notice.*

Steve Smith on the other hand was AMAZING. He did a great solo and has got some mighty fine stick tricks up his sleeves but his playing all night was spot on. Incredibly musical and tasteful and a great stage presence too.

It is an expensive night out. Made cheaper by the fact we blagged free tickets and a free hotel for the night too! :)

*Still a million times better than me. :)

[quote name='paul h' post='1350767' date='Aug 24 2011, 09:32 PM']To be totally honest? Weakest of the three. Great technique and chops etc. but no real magic. Nothing to make you sit up and take notice.*

Steve Smith on the other hand was AMAZING. He did a great solo and has got some mighty fine stick tricks up his sleeves but his playing all night was spot on. Incredibly musical and tasteful and a great stage presence too.

It is an expensive night out. Made cheaper by the fact we blagged free tickets and a free hotel for the night too! :P

*Still a million times better than me. :D[/quote]

Fair play :) lucky for some! :) my favourite Hiromi records/videos are the ones with the original trio, specially around the time Spiral came out. Thats my favourite jazz/fusion CD :lol:

[quote name='paul h' post='1350767' date='Aug 24 2011, 09:32 PM']To be totally honest? Weakest of the three. Great technique and chops etc. but no real magic. Nothing to make you sit up and take notice.*

It is an expensive night out. Made cheaper by the fact we blagged free tickets and a free hotel for the night too! :)

*Still a million times better than me. :lol:[/quote]

Having seen that gig as well (and it was an amazing gig for sure) I have to disagree about AJ, while he's never been a flaboyant player - and Smith is certainly that (and is without doubt one of he finest drummers on the planet today) - I loved AJ's playing - he nailed everything, his note choice was impessable and his improv behind Hiromi's solos was stunning - he plays a B string like no other player I know, it's like that is his 'high end' - while some guys can run chops for days AJ's command of the low end is unmatched IMO - I don't know what you were expecing in terms of magic but to my ears AJ played beautifully and his tone was jaw-dropping. Just my take on it but I have to say after this gig I really felt a lot of love for Anthony and his style - he's very unique - and not to everyone's taste I know. However I do agree that the gig was phenomenal - I've seen Hiromi live maybe 6 or 7 times (last time I saw her was with Stanley Clarke at Ronnie's) and I have to say I thought she played better than ever with this rhythm section - and yes Smith was on fire - have you ever seen his band Vital Information with Baron Browne on bass? Now that is a killer rhythm section and band right there... anyway I just had to stick up for AJ as I really thought he gelled the whole trio together beautifully - which when you have two crazy chops merchants like Hiromi and Smith is what you need - not someone like Vic Wooten throwing in yet more chops insanity - anyway - it's one of my gigs of the year and I'm pleased you saw it too.

'Rant' over :)

Cheers

Mike

[quote name='davebass66' post='1351085' date='Aug 25 2011, 10:42 AM']Lovely bass solo at about 7mins 30..... really nice musical phrases....

is Tony Grey the bass player? I haven't heard/seen him before.....it's nice.

D[/quote]

Yup, Tony's the bass player :) one of my very favourite bass players, and (alongside john patitucci) the most lyrical/melodic bass soloist i know

there are a few more lovely bass solos in there too, 28:48 and 39:20 for example :)

Edited by funkypenguin

[quote name='chardbass' post='1353211' date='Aug 27 2011, 12:24 AM']Aaah Tony Grey- another bass player who makes me think that maybe I've got my RH technique all wrong!!

Great stuff.[/quote]

Are you referring to his use of free-stroke rather than rest-stroke right hand technique? or his sheer speed and dexterity :)

Probably! I guess the former helps the latter to some degree.
I always thought I was a bit heavy handed- I blame poor monitoring and bloody Jaco with his burpy, barky tones influencing me in my formative years.
Either way- I need to get me a ramp!!

Edited by chardbass

[quote name='chardbass' post='1353888' date='Aug 27 2011, 09:16 PM']Probably! I guess the former helps the latter to some degree.
I always thought I was a bit heavy handed- I blame poor monitoring and bloody Jaco with his burpy, barky tones influencing me in my formative years.
Either way- I need to get me a ramp!![/quote]

His speed with freestroke is pretty incredible, I started using freestroke after i first saw him play :) Ramps are awesome, specially if you go by the Willis method of turning the amp up and playing with a light touch. I got one fitted and its made a world of difference to my playing :)

Envelope filter AFAIK

If you liked the material on this then 'Time Control' is the album with it all on. My personal favourite though is 'Spiral'.....i never get tired of listening to it, the title track amazes me every time i hear it. My jazz fusion trio are working on it at the moment, really looking forward to performing it when we start back to uni!

heres a live performance of it :)

If anyone is interesting in playing any of this material, im working on some bass transcriptions. ive just finished "XYZ" (see below), just need to write up "Summer Rain" and have started "Spiral" and "Old Castle, By the River, In the middle of a Forrest"

note: all my transcriptions are bass clef notation NOT tablature

• 1 month later...

Hello, Hiromi and Tony followers!

Check out Tony's bass masterclass in Gateshead - 12th and 13th November. Well worth a look methinks :) [url="http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=267810369908781"]http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=267810369908781[/url] - two days with the Greyster. C