Why become a member? ×

Can Funk Be Taught?

Pete Academy

So what you are all saying is, if I can't feel it, I will only get so far?

How much effort do you put in before deciding that you will never make it as a funk player?

I am being serious, as I really would like to join a funk band.

I've been listening and playing along to various bands (Earth, Wind and Fire being a fav at the moment).

Cheers

Blademan

I think most people understand that funk is not a rapid succession of slapped sixtieth notes and triplets, that can easily be taught by repartition.

One the student fully understands the mechanics of rhythm it unravels the mysteries of a lot of music including Latin, African.
You can give the student exercises to improve timing, playing on, in front and behind the beat.
But I would not rule out the importance of listening to other players.

Edited by ironside1966

Not all funk is slapping! (and not a slap is funk.....)

There are times when a bit of slap and pop is called for but listening to 70's funk bands, they are not all slap fests!

They have solid rhythm and play to the groove.

Unless I am totally of track and should give up all hope of a funk slot :)

[quote name='Blademan_98' post='1347482' date='Aug 21 2011, 08:38 PM']So what you are all saying is, if I can't feel it, I will only get so far?

How much effort do you put in before deciding that you will never make it as a funk player?

I am being serious, as I really would like to join a funk band.

I've been listening and playing along to various bands (Earth, Wind and Fire being a fav at the moment).

Cheers

Blademan[/quote]

I really think you need to listen to this kind of music for some time to be able to master it. The same with reggae. Play along to the great funk bands and you will grasp it eventually.

[quote name='Blademan_98' post='1347496' date='Aug 21 2011, 08:46 PM']Not all funk is slapping! (and not a slap is funk.....)

There are times when a bit of slap and pop is called for but listening to 70's funk bands, they are not all slap fests!

They have solid rhythm and play to the groove.

Unless I am totally of track and should give up all hope of a funk slot :)[/quote]
Its a product of immersing yourself in different aspects of the genre and understanding where funks origins lie. There is also the whole sub genre thing - jazz funk, latin funk, soul funk even acid jazz to a degree. I guess i am saying that it wont happen overnight but the more you listen the more things will start to rub off.

[quote name='BottomE' post='1347504' date='Aug 21 2011, 08:52 PM']Its a product of immersing yourself in different aspects of the genre and understanding where funks origins lie. There is also the whole sub genre thing - jazz funk, latin funk, soul funk even acid jazz to a degree. I guess i am saying that it wont happen overnight but the more you listen the more things will start to rub off.[/quote]

Exactly. :)

I have to agree that groove and funk is definitely something that can be taught, but to get it right it has to be felt. Groove is felt, and listening to a lot of groove/funk will help, it should give you an understanding about rhythm and note placement. Bubinga 5 often puts up amazing funk groove finds which are amazing to listen to.

Ultimately you have or you don't, but that doesn't mean you'll be bot at playing it! Don't forget, Bootsy feels groove, after all, its all he plays so he's bound to be good at it! Listen, practice, play and feel the notes! :)

Dan

Well when applied to bass, according to this famous italian bassist / teacher it can be taught.

In this video he demonstrates 7 different level of funk technique from beginner to advanced (also check out his other videos) I warn you this guy is a monter!

I know what you are all saying now, and yeah that's exactly what I said after watching that video, "f*** me!"

do you still wanna play bass now? :)

Edited by Grand Wazoo

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1347698' date='Aug 22 2011, 01:33 AM']I know what you are all saying now, and yeah that's exactly what I said after watching that video, "f*** me!"

do you still wanna play bass now? :)[/quote]

While technically flawless I don't really see how that is supposed to help someone wanting to get a better grip with Funk.

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1347698' date='Aug 22 2011, 01:33 AM']Well when applied to bass, according to this famous italian bassist / teacher it can be taught.

In this video he demonstrates 7 different level of funk technique from beginner to advanced (also check out his other videos) I warn you this guy is a monter!

I know what you are all saying now, and yeah that's exactly what I said after watching that video, "f*** me!"

do you still wanna play bass now? :)[/quote]

That's not funk. That's another happy-go-slap youtube'er who thinks he's go something going on, but there's no space, there is no rhythmic interest and it's far too conceited.

Simplicity seems to be the hardest thing for most bass players to get to grips with when talking about this kind of music. Funk isn't some kind of magic formula that you plug into and suddenly play. There's also no prerequisite to suddenly start slapping either.

This is funk. Not super tight, not super polished, but this is what people should be aiming for:

[quote name='risingson' post='1347710' date='Aug 22 2011, 02:06 AM']That's not funk. That's another happy-go-slap youtube'er who thinks he's go something going on, but there's no space, there is no rhythmic interest and it's far too conceited.

Simplicity seems to be the hardest thing for most bass players to get to grips with when talking about this kind of music. Funk isn't some kind of magic formula that you plug into and suddenly play. There's also no prerequisite to suddenly start slapping either.

This is funk. Not super tight, not super polished, but this is what people should be aiming for:

[/quote]

That's much more like it.