Why become a member? ×

Can Funk Be Taught?

Pete Academy

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='1348345' date='Aug 22 2011, 08:08 PM']The great Bobby Vega.

The epitome of funk bass playing. Every element of the craft is here.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkKXDtKesR4&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkKXDtKesR4...feature=related[/url][/quote]

Added to my favourites :)

Thanks Pete

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='1348306' date='Aug 22 2011, 07:40 PM']Some great comments.

Has anyone had lessons from a teacher to learn this style? Has it worked?[/quote]

IMO definitely think it's a style of music that can be learned, especially if you love it. I'm still working on the material Paul Geary (ACM) passed onto me in the lessons I had with him for a couple of years even now. Really enjoying learning lines played by Verdine White, Bootsy Collins, Wilton Felder, Bermard Edwards et al..

The one thing I've focused on is learning it slowly, & building it up to a manageable speed where it grooves as opposed to seeing how fast I can play it. I'm slowly getting to the point where I'm a lot better at playing this style of music than I was 10 years ago.

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='1347422' date='Aug 21 2011, 07:40 PM']I still think you have to listen and immerse yourself in this style for a long period before you can master it.[/quote]

Which is teaching yourself - so in that case, it can be taught! ;o)