Why become a member? ×

Fender Precision Bass

GT40Graham

[quote name='dc2009' post='1350905' date='Aug 25 2011, 12:01 AM']A. Why should I bother when I have a bunch of basses I like the neck profiles on?

B. Why not then get a jazz aerodyne or something, which has the better looking jazz body too?[/quote]

A. I've played loads of Ps over the years and the necks seem to vary quite a bit. Some I've liked, some I haven't.

B. Personally I think the P is the better looking of the two; always have.

[quote name='Spike Vincent' post='1351818' date='Aug 25 2011, 10:04 PM']Possibly you're not a fan of the Precision?[/quote]

The only thing I like about it is the split coil pickup, which usually sounds good, but there are bad examples of those about too!

• 2 weeks later...

I have 3 P basses currently, as per my sig. The most recent aquisition is the natural ash late '70's/early '80's one purchased from Bass Direct a couple of weeks ago. They do all vary, sometimes enormously so you have to play lots to find one that 'speaks' to you.

Trip planned to Coda to try their customs shop 'P's in October!

LC

[quote name='LemonCello' post='1365770' date='Sep 7 2011, 09:09 PM']I have 3 P basses currently, as per my sig. The most recent aquisition is the natural ash late '70's/early '80's one purchased from Bass Direct a couple of weeks ago. They do all vary, sometimes enormously so you have to play lots to find one that 'speaks' to you.

LC[/quote]

Well they usually have a very good selection of most items, so should be a good trip. The place is like a Tardis (the Stevenage branch that is) - doesn`t look like it could hold 10 guitars, yet it`s like Aladdins cave - full of yummy basses, guitars & amps :)

well glad you found a good one, :)
I have a mim precision,had it restrung,setup ect ect
hate it with a vengance,been playing jazzes for years,also have a cirrus 5er
just cannot get on with it at all, :lol: :)
and when a gibbering old giffer like me learns how to post pictures
I will put it back up for sale,or if my wife gives me anymore grief about it,I will have to
take it to the back garden an give it a sound thrashing within a inch of its tone control, :D

cheers
stef

I've been a Jazz Bass player for my short 7 year career. Only a couple of days ago I picked up a Squier CV P from Bobby K. I'm slowly coming to the neck, I still find it uncomfortable but I'd say the advantages way out that.

The tone is beautiful, Its a sound I've been wanted out my Jazz for years. Full bodied with great weight behind it. It's feels more comfortable than my other basses and weighs a lot less too. Most important of all, on the little bits of playing I've managed to get done, it fits superbly in a mix. I'm not going to say I'm a Pbass convert yet, but Im seeing a whole different side to the instrument and my hobby now.

Just ordered some TI Flats for it as well! Get them on before its first gig on Friday!

I never really got precisions. I've been playing for 32 years and had never really felt the need to pick one up let alone play one. I grew up in the era where everybody played them. I guess I just wanted to be different. I currently own a Jazz Deluxe, a Stingray and a Yamaha TRB5PII. Then it happened. 3-4 months ago I got a real GAS for a Precision. Don't know why, it may be an age thing. Anyway, tried a few out and was completly blown away with the new American Standards. The tone, the looks and yes, even the build quality of the new ones is right up there. Maybe that was the reason why everyone was using them, they just work. So, can't justify buying one (i've enough with my current collection) but I really do 'NEED' one. It arrives tomorrow - sunburst with a maple board :)

[quote name='mr zed' post='1372393' date='Sep 13 2011, 07:34 PM']I never really got precisions. I've been playing for 32 years and had never really felt the need to pick one up let alone play one. I grew up in the era where everybody played them. I guess I just wanted to be different. I currently own a Jazz Deluxe, a Stingray and a Yamaha TRB5PII. Then it happened. 3-4 months ago I got a real GAS for a Precision. Don't know why, it may be an age thing. Anyway, tried a few out and was completly blown away with the new American Standards. The tone, the looks and yes, even the build quality of the new ones is right up there. Maybe that was the reason why everyone was using them, they just work. So, can't justify buying one (i've enough with my current collection) but I really do 'NEED' one. It arrives tomorrow - sunburst with a maple board :)[/quote]

Good choice and I agree wholeheartedly, these new American Standard Precision and Jazz basses are superb instruments, the tone, the playability and the feel of the neck is awesome, I was so impressed by them I've had to get both of them.

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1372490' date='Sep 13 2011, 08:40 PM']Good choice and I agree wholeheartedly, these new American Standard Precision and Jazz basses are superb instruments, the tone, the playability and the feel of the neck is awesome, I was so impressed by them I've had to get both of them.

[/quote]

Stunning! Some basses just look right. Nuff said!

[quote name='LemonCello' post='1365770' date='Sep 7 2011, 09:09 PM']I have 3 P basses currently, as per my sig. The most recent aquisition is the natural ash late '70's/early '80's one purchased from Bass Direct a couple of weeks ago. They do all vary, sometimes enormously so you have to play lots to find one that 'speaks' to you.

LC[/quote]

I think that bass was lovely, I kept looking on the site and GASing

Thanks. Yes, I'd originally gone there to try the '78 Jazz, but I felt that the bridge Pup was a bit lacking (low output), and it was a three bolter. So I tried the P and was amazed at it's condition which has to be 9/10. The body is beautifully figured and is all original. It has flats on it (not sure what make) but they play and sound great!

All in all, a good purchase. Mark is very good at Bass Direct but he carn arf talk!!!

LC