Why become a member? ×

Fender P-Pino Paladino Sound

TheBear

Hi,

I got the chance to get my hands on a Custom shop Pino Palladino Precision Bass. I still did not fully recover from the sound I heard :)
To keep it short: I want one, but my bank position are not willing to concur.

I was wondering if they were other P-Bass in the Fender catalog delivering the same sound that the PP custom.

thanks,

Chris

[quote name='TheBear' post='1338430' date='Aug 13 2011, 08:52 AM']Hi,

I got the chance to get my hands on a Custom shop Pino Palladino Precision Bass. I still did not fully recover from the sound I heard :)
To keep it short: I want one, but my bank position are not willing to concur.

I was wondering if they were other P-Bass in the Fender catalog delivering the same sound that the PP custom.

thanks,

Chris[/quote]
You'll get close by fitting TI flats on any decent P-bass with Alder body & Rosewood board, but the nearest I reckon would be a '62 American Vintage, basically same model as the PP, just a tad cheaper :) The pick up in the PP is a special wind I believe, apart from that? I think the sound you like is mostly down to the strings.

Cheerz, John

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1338587' date='Aug 13 2011, 12:19 PM']Any P bass will get pretty close.[/quote]

Actually, i was thinkingthe same as you, but i have to admit that my tests made me change my mind. I tried the PP & other P-Bass (same amps), and (in my hears), the PP has something more. I found it a deeper in the bass range.

A good way of getting nearer to that sound will be to get a Fender Original/Vintage pickup, which is the model in the 62, and in the Pino, then put it in a regular Precision.

I had one in an MIM bass, and the increase in both low-end, clarity, and seperation between all frequencies was very good.

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1338603' date='Aug 13 2011, 12:47 PM']A good way of getting nearer to that sound will be to get a Fender Original/Vintage pickup, which is the model in the 62, and in the Pino, then put it in a regular Precision.

I had one in an MIM bass, and the increase in both low-end, clarity, and seperation between all frequencies was very good.[/quote]

I'll have to buy a P :). I currently own Squier JB VM.
too bad for, no American vintage 62 to test in my neighbourhood :)

[quote name='KiOgon' post='1338441' date='Aug 13 2011, 09:14 AM']You'll get close by fitting TI flats on any decent P-bass with Alder body & Rosewood board, but the nearest I reckon would be a '62 American Vintage, basically same model as the PP, just a tad cheaper :) The pick up in the PP is a special wind I believe, apart from that? I think the sound you like is mostly down to the strings.

Cheerz, John[/quote]

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1338603' date='Aug 13 2011, 11:47 AM']A good way of getting nearer to that sound will be to get a Fender Original/Vintage pickup, which is the model in the 62, and in the Pino, then put it in a regular Precision.

I had one in an MIM bass, and the increase in both low-end, clarity, and seperation between all frequencies was very good.[/quote]

All of the above really. I've played Squier Precisions that sing like the best pre-CBSs and Custom Shop Precisions that sound stifled by comparison. I think the trick is simply to shop around for a Precision that sings when unplugged, and then follow the above advice. The truth is below though

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1338587' date='Aug 13 2011, 11:19 AM']Any P bass will get pretty close.[/quote]

[quote name='TheBear' post='1338594' date='Aug 13 2011, 11:31 AM']Actually, i was thinkingthe same as you, but i have to admit that my tests made me change my mind. I tried the PP & other P-Bass (same amps), and (in my hears), the PP has something more. I found it a deeper in the bass range.[/quote]
Were the strings and setup of the other basses the same as the Pino? That would be a fair comparison.

[quote name='Beedster' post='1338657' date='Aug 13 2011, 01:35 PM']In fact, I think that's the answer to about 90% of the questions you could possibly ask about bass :)[/quote]

I'll dig deeper in the P-Bass world though. I was trying P-Bass after playing on J-Bass & Cort B4 (without yet being fully satisfied with my sound), and the PP Custom Shop sound just blew me away (i don't find it too nice to see though).

I'm pretty much convinced that P-Bass is the one I need (whilst I love the Warwick basses, their sound is too much of "modern" to me). Now, I need to find the right moel for me, as I'd like to avoid the GAS :)

[quote name='TheBear' post='1338430' date='Aug 13 2011, 08:52 AM']I got the chance to get my hands on a Custom shop Pino Palladino Precision Bass.[/quote]

Was that at Paul's Bass Matters in Nijmegen? If not, you should go and visit them as they have a CS Pino bass in stock as well as a few other P basses which you could try as a comparison... :)

Paul is a Fender expert!

www.bassmatters.nl

[quote name='matski' post='1338857' date='Aug 13 2011, 05:00 PM']Was that at Paul's Bass Matters in Nijmegen? If not, you should go and visit them as they have a CS Pino bass in stock as well as a few other P basses which you could try as a comparison... :)

Paul is a Fender expert!

www.bassmatters.nl[/quote]

Nope, was in Paris while enjoying a week holidays there (Bass Maniac was the shop's name, very nice people there).

Utrecht-Nijmegen is a bit of a trip just to try a bass :) Specially without having the budget at the time.