Why become a member? ×

MusicMan Cutlass II

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MUSIC-MAN-CUTLASS-2-BASS-GUITAR_W0QQitemZ320226307103QQihZ011QQcategoryZ4713QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD4VQQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p1638.m124"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MUSIC-MAN-CUTLASS-2-...ksid=p1638.m124[/url]

always liked the Sabre body shape. :)

and its mine for a pretty stonking price. Year, probably around 1984. Neck might potentially be like a banana but I've got both I & II versions now :) and the two pickups mean I can gig the Cutlass II on the motown and disco stuff without changing instrument.

Oh.
Yes.

Gotta love that cuttlary.

[quote name='Hiperi0n' post='157875' date='Mar 15 2008, 10:34 AM']ahhhh you was the guy who outbid me at last 5 seconds :) damn....ehehe congrats on the bass!!! enjoy it...i never tried a cutlass so was curious to own one...next time[/quote]
I'm sorry u didn't get it but I've only ever seen 1 other come up on Ebay so my maximum bid was quite a lot higher than the end price. Bit of a steal. :huh: If you can make the bassbash and it gets delivered before then I'll probably bring both Celinders and both Cutlasses for people to have a go on. You could try them out then? ;)

eheh yeah no problem...infact i didn't put a so high bid..i didn't want to spend too much on that bass...so it's right you got it!
the bassbash would be cool to be there...but i'm from Rome-Italy..so it's a long trip :) maybe in the next editions
anyway i wait a review of the bass :huh: enjoy it!!!

Erm is this right? Didn't Crazykiwi buy this?

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MUSIC-MAN-CUTLASS-2-BASS-GUITAR-USED_W0QQitemZ220214925114QQihZ012QQcategoryZ4713QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MUSIC-MAN-CUTLASS-2-...1QQcmdZViewItem[/url]

Hi Steve....
Are you sure the guy is straight up...? :)
Check out the Ebay Pictures again......
Looks Like the Bass is on a a bed at Wormwood scrubs ;)

Good one mate...
Only ever tried a Cutlass once..[Swifty's]
And it was stonking...
I am surpised he did not spot that one.. :huh:

Garry

[quote name='lowdown' post='161080' date='Mar 20 2008, 08:45 PM']Hi Steve....
Looks Like the Bass is on a a bed at Wormwood scrubs :D

Good one mate...
And it was stonking...
I am surpised he did not spot that one.. :huh:

Garry[/quote]

;) ;) :huh:

Also - Brand: Musicman/OLP

Uh oh

Nah I'm sure its fine! ;)

[quote name='lowdown' post='161080' date='Mar 20 2008, 08:45 PM']Hi Steve....
Looks Like the Bass is on a a bed at Wormwood scrubs ;)

Good one mate...
And it was stonking...
I am surpised he did not spot that one.. ;)

Garry[/quote]
LOL

I had a chat with Dave last week about it actually, but he's in Australia with Jools at the moment so only had 1 reply from him. He scored a Cutlass 1 off Ebay in the middle of last year so also has the pair. Only his are both in matching black. I quite like the white, its a bit different and I have another black bass anyway.

BTW, Steve Turner played with my band a few weeks back at the Dorchester. He mentioned that he knows you. :huh:

[quote name='Shockwave' post='161171' date='Mar 20 2008, 10:45 PM']I reported the Fake auction.[/quote]
cheers, I'd emailed the original seller as well.

[quote name='Shockwave' post='161171' date='Mar 20 2008, 10:45 PM']And kiwi, if you dont get on with it and the necks fine, I may have it :)[/quote]
Hehe, if the neck's fine I don't anticipate there being any other problems. :huh:

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='161123' date='Mar 20 2008, 09:35 PM']BTW, Steve Turner played with my band a few weeks back at the Dorchester. He mentioned that he knows you. :)[/quote]

Yep Steve...
Not seen him for a while...
Good player that lad.. ;)
Not sure why he was wasting his time with Kylie though.. :huh:

Garry

[quote name='lowdown' post='161274' date='Mar 21 2008, 09:24 AM']Yep Steve...
Not seen him for a while...
Good player that lad.. :huh:
Not sure why he was wasting his time with Kylie though.. :)

Garry[/quote]
Yeah he picked things up remarkably quickly although its easy if you have something to rest your notes on innit? ;)

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='162208' date='Mar 23 2008, 02:36 PM']Yeah he picked things up remarkably quickly although its easy if you have something to rest your notes on innit? :)[/quote]

Spent many a Sunday Night in the West end doing 7 hour Jewish Functions with Steve...
When all the Notes sound the same by ten o'clock.
And all the grooves are...
Uncha uncha uncha...!!! :huh:

Garry

[quote name='lowdown' post='162326' date='Mar 23 2008, 07:32 PM']Spent many a Sunday Night in the West end doing 7 hour Jewish Functions with Steve...
When all the Notes sound the same by ten o'clock.
And all the grooves are...
Uncha uncha uncha...!!! :)

Garry[/quote]
Hahaha, yeah we talked about that with him as we had been asked to do similar gigs too. We've decided not to for the most part but still have to face learning 4 of them in a 20min medley for the Marbella gig.

Oish, VERY tedious songs. I can usually find something to like in most music but those songs are mind numbing.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='162350' date='Mar 23 2008, 08:13 PM']Hahaha, yeah we talked about that with him as we had been asked to do similar gigs too. We've decided not to for the most part but still have to face learning 4 of them in a 20min medley for the Marbella gig.

Oish, VERY tedious songs. I can usually find something to like in most music but those songs are mind numbing.[/quote]

As long as you can play in quick 2...
And know your way around D minor... [All night.!]
All should be fine .. :)

Garry

Edited by lowdown

The bass arrived today. Delivered without a case - not even a gig bag. Luckily the courier was careful!

So the good news is that the neck is pretty good, particularly for an '84 bass. The neck needs a bit of a shim (more tricky with a 4 bolt neck because of the lack of a microtilt feature) but otherwise looks OK. The bass is pretty good nick otherwise, even still has the crusty old foam on the mutes!

The bad news however is that the bridge side coil in the neck humbucker doesn't work. I've tested the connections with a multimeter and the windings around the coil appear to have broken at some point. The other coil is reading fine so it looks like I'm either going to have to get the coil rewound to the same impedance OR get a replacement sabre neck pickup from somewhere.

I've asked the seller (who was selling it on behalf of his Son who is overseas at the moment) what he suggests we do about the extra cost the coil repair is going to require...