Why become a member? ×

LM3 vs F500

Musicman20

Has anyone recently compared these two Markbass amps through similar cabinets?

I haven't played both for a while, and I only played the F500 very briefly.

I'm getting a Markbass to contrast the RH750 thick middy/warm/ slightly coloured tone.

I want something clean, quite flat, punchy and crisp.

It's between these two. I'm tempted to just go back to to the LM3.

Thanks

Not sure if the Markbass LMK head is voiced the same as the LM3 so this may be irrelevant - but I had an LMK head and an F500, played through the same cabinets over a long period of time. Felt the LMK was far fuller sounding, with more punch, clarity and effortless tone. The F500 took a lot of work to get it sounding anywhere near as sexy as the LMK. Still have the LMK and love it to bits. Replaced the F500 with an F1 - more for fly gigs instead of taking the relatively bigger LMK.

LM3 has th best optimally flat output. The F500 has dips in both the low mid and high mid section, but still spuds relatively flares the te centre mids are on the same output level as the lows and highs.

Despite it being lighter I can't think of another reason for getting F500 over the LM3. Both output as near as makes no difference 500w, with the LM actually outputting a little more.

They sound similar, but if you want flat phat punch out the box its a done deal.
Unless the semi-parametic mids and lower weight is something you need, flat response is easy enough to get out of the F500.

Not tried those two, but I've tried the LM2, and own an F1. The F1 is definately snappier, more aggressive but still very flat. The LM2 is round and warm but with plenty of punch. I can make the F1 sound like the LM, but not tue other way round. The F series are smaller, and in my opinion look cooler. Plus you get more tonal options on the F500 with the parametric mids. Just depends on if the extras are worth the higher price tag to you.

Ken's videos are always great and help me out quite a lot, but I am finding I tend to go the 'opposite' way to his tastes now. Eg, he loves the Streamliner over the LM3, but I find myself missing my old tone.

The same for the RH450. I myself much prefer the RH amps over the SL900 now Ive had more time with it.

None of them are bad in the slightest, they are all great!

I think what I didnt like on the F500 was the fiddly controls. Plus, we are looking at £150-170 difference for the smaller size and semi-para EQ.

This time, I might just go back to what I know with the LM3, otherwise I might end up having to swap again.

I know what you mean. Ken has a certain style and he likes a certain tone but thats not for everyone.

Seeing as your thinking about the LMIII why not lower your sights slightly and think about a F1. Its a lot cheaper than the F500 and has the same EQ (although its missing a few other features).

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1333433' date='Aug 9 2011, 11:53 AM']I know what you mean. Ken has a certain style and he likes a certain tone but thats not for everyone.

Seeing as your thinking about the LMIII why not lower your sights slightly and think about a F1. Its a lot cheaper than the F500 and has the same EQ (although its missing a few other features).[/quote]

It's like old Ed Freidland, I hate the way he cuts the highs and boost everything else, although he will demonstrate "flat" and his videos are the most informative aswell.

The F1 and F500 have the same preamp and power amp you only get the semi-para mids I think.

You should get your arse down to somewhere that has both and try each out LOUD as that is where the difference really is.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='1333902' date='Aug 9 2011, 06:04 PM']It's like old Ed Freidland, I hate the way he cuts the highs and boost everything else, although he will demonstrate "flat" and his videos are the most informative aswell.

The F1 and F500 have the same preamp and power amp you only get the semi-para mids I think.

You should get your arse down to somewhere that has both and try each out LOUD as that is where the difference really is.[/quote]

I know, but no chance at the moment.

Id love to be able to gig both, and see which cuts it.

Then, what happens if I also took the STL900 and that worked better?!

Haha. What a nightmare.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1334168' date='Aug 9 2011, 08:52 PM']I know, but no chance at the moment.

Haha. What a nightmare.[/quote]

If you ever want to come try the F1, more than welcome.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1334168' date='Aug 9 2011, 08:52 PM']I know, but no chance at the moment.

Haha. What a nightmare.[/quote]

Thats what happened to me when i thought i was trading my STL600 for Clarky's F1. Used both on two gigs and ended up buying the F1 as well :-)

Thanks chaps. Thankfully I was joking about the STL900, I dont need another tubey amp, so it has to go anyway. I find the LM3 with Sansamp or VT bass NAILS it if you want to go down that route. A very good pairing.

Hahah, please dont get me into the F1/500, I thought id got over that hurdle.

Im like you Dave, I got bored of the Markbass tone, but realised its actually very very good....and it works wonders with Musicman basses.

The RH amp does the more coloured/featured side of things, but yep, as of tomorrow ill make a decision which to go for.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='1334272' date='Aug 9 2011, 09:58 PM']If you ever want to come try the F1, more than welcome.[/quote]

That's a really cool offer :) Also I've just noticed you put yours through a Barefaced Super 12 T! That's the best damn rig in the universe oh yes it is :)

Have you considered the MoMark? If you aren't sure what you prefer that would allow you to swap out pre-amp, EQ and output modules if you fancy a change while keeping the same power amp frame.

Edited by gazhowe

[quote name='chrismuzz' post='1334393' date='Aug 10 2011, 12:04 AM']That's a really cool offer :) Also I've just noticed you put yours through a Barefaced Super 12 T! That's the best damn rig in the universe oh yes it is :)[/quote]

If anyone wants to try either I don't mind them popping in for a brew and some bass.

Thanks, it's one beasty rig.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='1333902' date='Aug 9 2011, 06:04 PM']It's like old Ed Freidland, I hate the way he cuts the highs and boost everything else, although he will demonstrate "flat" and his videos are the most informative aswell.[/quote]

Ed can make anything sound good but i love the fact that he demonstrates with both finger and pick most of the time. As a 99% pick player its not easy finding online videos of new gear played that way.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1334540' date='Aug 10 2011, 09:04 AM']Yeah, its a nice system, but the TC amp I have is quite complex as it is, so I just want a solid state/flat-ish MB amp I can use that isnt overly expensive, like I had with the LM3....which I should have kept haha![/quote]

As you may know..not a great fan of the Markbass LMll/III when you have to run them hard..or rather there are others out there....but if it is the devil you know..and like..then say no more.

In my limited experience of running my old LMII and SA450 hard I have to agree.
Ive only had to go over about 1 o'clock on the master a few times but it wasn't nice.
Not sure if it was the cab or head but it just seemed to compress more and not get louder.

Then again it's nicer than doing the same with my old ABM head.

I dont think I ever had the master above 1/3 with an 8 ohm cabinet on the LM3!

I think if I needed more power itd be the TH RH750, but to be honest, I dont very often need masses of volume.

I was told the best way to run amps like this is to not worry about the wattage and add speakers/cabs if you want more volume.

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1335652' date='Aug 10 2011, 08:39 PM']I dont think I ever had the master above 1/3 with an 8 ohm cabinet on the LM3!

I think if I needed more power itd be the TH RH750, but to be honest, I dont very often need masses of volume.

I was told the best way to run amps like this is to not worry about the wattage and add speakers/cabs if you want more volume.[/quote]

The times i had to turn right up were with smaller cabs like my MB 151P. I never go near halfway with my 1212L