Why become a member? ×

Music Man Stingray USA - New Cheaper Models?

Linus27

Has anyone seen these new Stingrays. They are still USA but cheaper than normal and come with a gig bag and simplified electronics. Anyone know what thay have done to the electronics that makes them different. Here is the blurb.

These new and affordable Stingray basses are made in the USA and feature a 2 band active EQ, and a choice between Maple and Rosewood neck. Music Man have kept the prices down by simplifying the electronics, and providing a gig bag instead of a hard case. These Stingrays are available in 3 simple colours - black, pearl blue and candy apple red. Made to the same build quality standards as the more expensive Stingrays, these basses make the versatile Stingray sound affordable to more bassists.

Its exactly the same 2EQ as normal ordered 2EQs...I think they mean that most people 'expect' a 3EQ, hence the simpler.

They are a limited run, limited colour setup...the reason they are cheaper is the lack of colours and the gigbag.

The rest is exactly the same as the normal Rays.

I tried one out in Soundslive last year and it was excellent. Really nice bass, light, well made, everything you want a 2 band to be!

Im currently considering leaving my Jazz quest and getting a 2 band Ray on order - Natural/maple/white pup/tort guard. Yummy!

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1329198' date='Aug 5 2011, 08:15 PM']These are called 133 range or something? Annoyingly the Blue pearl which is really cool in the flesh costs more on a Ray 5. I'd say dig you heels in and try and get one with case for a little bit more. What's the best price for a standard one with a case these days?[/quote]

Thanks for the info everyone. I am actually after a 3rd but thought these looked ok but never seen anything about them on here.

• 1 year later...

Notice Absolute Music and Guitar Village are still selling these (currently at £1099, although I'm sure Guitar Village was advertising it at £999 yesterday and literally gone up £100 in the last 24 hours!).

Appreciate this topic is over a year old but considering one of these right now, as I regretted selling my 20yr old musicman (which incidentally had a 3 band EQ).

Can anyone advise me - do the 3 band EQ and 2 band EQ stingrays sound the same and quite simpy the 3 band EQ just gives you more flexibility over adjusting the sound, or do they actually different sounding basses? Also to be sure, do they feel the same or are there any differences in weight, quality of workmanship etc. Guessing they sound the same and are built the same aside from the EQ electronics but any advice from experience of both of these appreciated.

Lastly, a minor point but looking at the Ernie Ball website ([url="http://www.music-man.com/instruments/basses/classic-stingray-4.html"]http://www.music-man.com/instruments/basses/classic-stingray-4.html[/url]) I can't see any mention of a 3EQ classic stingray - suggests they don't make them anymore which seems highly unlikely.

Hi!

The Classic Stingray is a re-make of the older earlier Rays, with the earlier and more modern features on one bass. All of them are 2EQ.

The Stingray is either 2 or 3 EQ...and is cheaper, but the normal type you will see. 2 vs 3 EQ is a difficult one. I love mid control so I like the 3 band. They sound similar but the 3EQ I THINK has more hi mids when set flat. Side by side you'd be pushed to hear much difference.

These £1000+ ish 2EQ models are the same, but limited colours and no proper case, (I personally don't dig black that much, and red or blue aren't my favourite colours for basses).

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1353076099' post='1871341']
Hi!

The Classic Stingray is a re-make of the older earlier Rays, with the earlier and more modern features on one bass. All of them are 2EQ.

The Stingray is either 2 or 3 EQ...and is cheaper, but the normal type you will see. 2 vs 3 EQ is a difficult one. I love mid control so I like the 3 band. They sound similar but the 3EQ I THINK has more hi mids when set flat. Side by side you'd be pushed to hear much difference.

These £1000+ ish 2EQ models are the same, but limited colours and no proper case, (I personally don't dig black that much, and red or blue aren't my favourite colours for basses).
[/quote]

The 2 vs 3 eq is a personal taste thing. Personally I prefer the 2 on the fretless Ray and 3 on the fretted.

[quote name='martthebass' timestamp='1353146619' post='1871999']
The 2 vs 3 eq is a personal taste thing.
[/quote]

Definitely. 2 band man here, but having played my 3 band consistently for a good while now I find upping the mid useful on occasion when definition is needed. The treble isn't the same as the 2 band though, its far more reasonable, regrettably.

The red/maple looks sweet. But, £1100 is still not a cheapy. Can buy my black/maple Pre-EB for not much more!