Why become a member? ×

Does this exist anywhere in the universe?

electric nate

I've been looking for a while, assuming this would exist somewhere, but it doesn't seem to. What I'm searching for is a blendable fx loop with crossover frequency control. This would be useful in applying FX to specific parts of the signal only - so applying overdrive JUST to high frequencies while leaving mids and lows clean - and then being able to blend how much overdriven highs are in the signal versus clean highs. The implication of this being that a subtle grind is added to moderate playing, but something like slapping or digging in hard would result not only in heavy overdrive, but the clean highs still having spank and sparkle. Or indeed you could use it to keep something like a phaser away from your low-end and also have a blend for how much phase you want vs dry for the affected frequencies thus keeping any tone-suck from pedals away from your clean sound.

Is this ridiculous or impractical for a company to build? I don't have any electronics experience, so i'm genuinely clueless.

Bass players seem to be getting more and more attention from fx manufacturers which is wonderful but I honestly think that few of them have yet to clock on to the idea that subtlety, fidelity and flexibility are massively important when dealing with an instrument that's capable of putting out such a broad range of frequencies and plays such a wide range of roles in music.

Maybe something like this exists already and i've missed it? Or maybe there's a simple way of doing it without building a specific pedal?

[quote name='topo morto' post='1326844' date='Aug 4 2011, 12:59 PM'][url="http://www.sfxsound.co.uk/mainpage.asp?page=xm"]http://www.sfxsound.co.uk/mainpage.asp?page=xm[/url]

any good?[/quote]

I was just going to post exactly that; the idea of using my guitar 4x10" for the high end of my signal and blending some distortion in while running a clean low end through my 1x15" is becoming VERY appealing.

[quote name='topo morto' post='1326844' date='Aug 4 2011, 12:59 PM'][url="http://www.sfxsound.co.uk/mainpage.asp?page=xm"]http://www.sfxsound.co.uk/mainpage.asp?page=xm[/url]

any good?[/quote]

Yes! This looks perfect! First response to the thread and you've nailed it. I love this place :)

Are there any alternatives worth considering?

Edit: I've just noticed the 'mix' portion of X&M is mixing the relative levels of the high and low bands - I was after mixing the effected signal with the clean, which is a slightly different kettle of fish. If that pedal had a master wet/dry knob it'd be perfect

Edited by electric nate

[quote name='electric nate' post='1326918' date='Aug 4 2011, 01:31 PM']Yes! This looks perfect! First response to the thread and you've nailed it. I love this place :)

Edit: I've just noticed the 'mix' portion of X&M is mixing the relative levels of the high and low bands - I was after mixing the effected signal with the clean, which is a slightly different kettle of fish. If that pedal had a master wet/dry knob it'd be perfect[/quote]

Max does custom designs/Ideas also.

Email him :) I've had 2 pedals customised by him

[quote name='electric nate' post='1326918' date='Aug 4 2011, 01:31 PM']Edit: I've just noticed the 'mix' portion of X&M is mixing the relative levels of the high and low bands - I was after mixing the effected signal with the clean, which is a slightly different kettle of fish. If that pedal had a master wet/dry knob it'd be perfect[/quote]

If you wanted a frequency-specific effected sound with a full-range clean, you could try any blender, and run a graphic EQ (like that MXR 10 band one) before the effect in the loop...

[quote name='electric nate' post='1326918' date='Aug 4 2011, 01:31 PM']Yes! This looks perfect! First response to the thread and you've nailed it. I love this place :)

Edit: I've just noticed the 'mix' portion of X&M is mixing the relative levels of the high and low bands - I was after mixing the effected signal with the clean, which is a slightly different kettle of fish. If that pedal had a master wet/dry knob it'd be perfect[/quote]

Surely you could just adjust the output level of your dirt pedal to achieve the same effect?

[quote name='Ian Savage' post='1326973' date='Aug 4 2011, 02:02 PM']Surely you could just adjust the output level of your dirt pedal to achieve the same effect?[/quote]
I could, but the thinking behind my idea was to emulate the sound of running a bass into a bass amp and a guitar amp together so adding distortion to the highs whilst keeping lows clean and retaining a clean full range signal for definition. Turning the gain or output down on the dirtbox is still going to give the character of the dirtbox and doesn't let me have a clean signal doubling the dirty signal. At some point I'd love to run this setup using a proper guitar head into a power brake, instead of a bass dirt box, but all this is just a dream at the moment!

I have a Peavey BassFex rack-mount multi effects unit.

One of the modules is a crossover and you can put it anywhere in the effects chain that you want. Any effects before the crossover are applied to the whole signal, any after the crossover are applied to either the treble of bass frequencies depending on which signal path they have been routed to.

Is that the sort of thing you are looking to do?