Why become a member? ×

Fender Precision Problems- Can't hear it!!

Old Horse Murphy

It's a shame you're not closer Nick. My Bob Glaub with Villex pickups and the Villex tone booster seems to me to possess all the P grit with a real zing when the treble is cranked up. It may do the trick.

Yeah I know it's not a Fender etc :huh: Villex pickups may help your P.

All the best with you're quest.

Talking of significant hearing loss I'd urge all you bikers to wear earplugs at all times. I was a keen motorcyclist for over 35 yrs and if you're not aware of the damage the airstream noise causes to the little hairs in your ears then you should be. High tone deafness abounds in those who rode before the problem was highlighted :) Nowadays there's no excuse.

Peter

[quote name='Old Horse Murphy' post='156589' date='Mar 13 2008, 11:13 AM']I missed the boat Martin.

Something you want to confess to? :huh:[/quote]

MB1. :)
No!....didnt think youd sell that one!. You seem to be having a little trouble on the bass front these days!........still havent found what youre looking for?

[quote name='MB1' post='156621' date='Mar 13 2008, 11:44 AM']MB1. :)
No!....didnt think youd sell that one!. You seem to be having a little trouble on the bass front these days!........still havent found what youre looking for?[/quote]
I've got my trusty old Stingray that will always be there and the P was my other bass to compliment it (I thinned out my hoarde from 6 at the end of last year to 2).

Basically I was only using these 2 anyway, so decided to have a clear out and live some room for "whimsical purchases".

Since Christmas, I've been struggling with the P just because I can't hear it!! I've tried different amp settings, angling the cab, standing closer, standing further away, a preamp, 3 different types of pickup etc etc etc. Unfortunately, nothing is working.

I don't think it's a case of not finding what I'm looking for, but more a cse of finding it and realising that we can't get on together!

I had a Lakland DJ4 a while back and although I didn't like the neck profile, the sound it gave me was incredibly clear (especially when I fitted the J Retro), so my heart says keep the P Bass and hope that something comes along that improves things, but my head (and bank balance) says move on and continue the search...

[quote name='Merton' post='156609' date='Mar 13 2008, 11:34 AM']OHM, whereabouts in Surrey are you? Do you want to borrow a BDDI to play with for a bit? Don't wanna see you sell that gorgeous bass, we'll help find an alternative :)[/quote]

Merton

Thanks very much for the offer. Bass Ferret was kind enough to offer me the loan of his EBS Microbass too and I'm really grateful.

I tried one at the weekend but it really didn't make much difference.

Last night I actually turned off my Bass Xciter to see if that helped at all (it's the really boomy sound that I can't hear) and this helped a bit.

Every time I decide what I'm going to do, I change my mind again!!

[quote name='Old Horse Murphy' post='156766' date='Mar 13 2008, 03:06 PM']Merton

Thanks very much for the offer. Bass Ferret was kind enough to offer me the loan of his EBS Microbass too and I'm really grateful.

I tried one at the weekend but it really didn't make much difference.

Last night I actually turned off my Bass Xciter to see if that helped at all (it's the really boomy sound that I can't hear) and this helped a bit.

Every time I decide what I'm going to do, I change my mind again!![/quote]

Nick, You may get some more readers and ideas if you edit the thread title to add "hearing" to it.

[quote name='Old Horse Murphy' post='156971' date='Mar 13 2008, 08:18 PM']Rotosound Swingbass Roundwounds (not sure of the gauge but I think they're 45-105's)[/quote]
Dont like em myself but its so long since I tried them I cant remember why. Should not be a problem as long as they are changed often enough as I seem to recall they went off quite quick when I used them.

Edited by bass_ferret

Well, my eyes have been well and truly opened...

Having owned a couple of Jazz basses over the years, but not being too enamoured with them (I always found the body shape a bit awkward and the neck a little bit too thin), I decided that it may be worth trying them again due to the problems I've had hearing the P bass recently.

I've just bought TimmyC's Lakland Joe Osborn 5 string off him and the difference to my hearing is amazing. I can hear every note cut through and the definition is amazing.

So, after being a dyed-in-the-wool Precision player, I've now discovered the beauty of the Jazz bass.

The only sad part about this is that it has cemented my decision to move my P Bass on, as I really can't afford to have it sitting there not being played.

[quote name='Old Horse Murphy' post='158809' date='Mar 17 2008, 10:10 AM']Well, my eyes have been well and truly opened...

Having owned a couple of Jazz basses over the years, but not being too enamoured with them (I always found the body shape a bit awkward and the neck a little bit too thin), I decided that it may be worth trying them again due to the problems I've had hearing the P bass recently.

I've just bought TimmyC's Lakland Joe Osborn 5 string off him and the difference to my hearing is amazing. I can hear every note cut through and the definition is amazing.

So, after being a dyed-in-the-wool Precision player, I've now discovered the beauty of the Jazz bass.

The only sad part about this is that it has cemented my decision to move my P Bass on, as I really can't afford to have it sitting there not being played.[/quote]

Glad you got that sorted, Nick ...

[quote name='martthebass' post='159149' date='Mar 17 2008, 07:59 PM']Nick - what about the Shuker P5? Hope he hasn't routed it yet - need room for 2 pickips now.... :huh:[/quote]
I've arranged with Jon to go up there when I pick it up and go through a whole range of pickups. If it needs to go active, he'll do it there and then for me.

He's fast becoming my favourite person in the whole world :)

[quote name='Old Horse Murphy' post='159153' date='Mar 17 2008, 08:04 PM']I've arranged with Jon to go up there when I pick it up and go through a whole range of pickups. If it needs to go active, he'll do it there and then for me.

He's fast becoming my favourite person in the whole world :)[/quote]

Our date's off then I guess ...
So fickle, these bass players :huh:

[quote name='OldGit' post='159238' date='Mar 17 2008, 09:32 PM']Our date's off then I guess ...
So fickle, these bass players :)[/quote]
There will always be a special place in my heart for you Si. After all, it was YOU who introduced me to the wonderful (and expensive) world of Custom P5's.

We'll always have the M4....

[quote name='Old Horse Murphy' post='159411' date='Mar 18 2008, 09:25 AM']There will always be a special place in my heart for you Si. After all, it was YOU who introduced me to the wonderful (and expensive) world of Custom P5's.

We'll always have the M4....[/quote]

Yeah ... sob ... hill of beans .. crazy world ...

Hey your Latte Precision is clearly broken as it's inaudible - I'll help you out and take it off your hands. I think I can get it fixed. My mate gave me a quote of "around 4 thousand punds" to do the job so .. fancy a swap for my very audible SX P ? :)

[quote name='OldGit' post='159418' date='Mar 18 2008, 09:37 AM']Yeah ... sob ... hill of beans .. crazy world ...

Hey your Latte Precision is clearly broken as it's inaudible - I'll help you out and take it off your hands. I think I can get it fixed. My mate gave me a quote of "around 4 thousand punds" to do the job so .. fancy a swap for my very audible SX P ? :)[/quote]

Those nice Irish fellas who came round knocking at the house yesterday said they'd Tarmac it for £100, so I'll maybe get back to you

• 1 year later...

[quote name='Old Horse Murphy' post='153001' date='Mar 7 2008, 01:28 PM']After a couple of songs, it actually dawned on me that I couldn't hear the P bass at all despite having the amp/cab set up the way it normally is. Try as I might, it just wouldn't cut through to me.[/quote]
If it's any consolation - I've never been able to get a P bass to cut through the mix either. And my hearing's ok!

Edited by stingrayfan

Sad story as I really like the sound of a P-Bass, but as stringrayfan mentioned it's hard to get it through a mix properly.
Definately a good warning for a youngster like me, though I've always used ear-protection (Alpine in-ear plugs); not the best out there but sure does the job nicely.

I really hope you can get some satisfactory sounds out of your jazzy!

[quote name='MuseMatt' post='484771' date='May 11 2009, 07:39 AM']Sad story as I really like the sound of a P-Bass, but as stringrayfan mentioned it's hard to get it through a mix properly.
Definately a good warning for a youngster like me, though I've always used ear-protection (Alpine in-ear plugs); not the best out there but sure does the job nicely.

I really hope you can get some satisfactory sounds out of your jazzy![/quote]

I find P basses through Ashdown / Trace Elliott don't work for me.
P basses are fine with my tatty old Peavey and my posh Markbass/Bergantino but for some reason TE/Ash just doesn't do it.

[quote name='OldGit' post='484825' date='May 11 2009, 09:29 AM']I find P basses through Ashdown / Trace Elliott don't work for me.
P basses are fine with my tatty old Peavey and my posh Markbass/Bergantino but for some reason TE/Ash just doesn't do it.[/quote]

Ditto....my P bass always sempt dead with my old TE combo. It also struggles with my Markbass stuff, however if I put the cab on a beer crate the sound comes alive.

Never have a problem with the Stingray - always cuts through...........doesn't do subtle tho.