Why become a member? ×

Phil Lynott - Waiting for an Alibi/Dancing in the Moonlight tone

TheRockinRoadie

Hi all,

I'm currently looking to buy another stompbox (or two!). At my local jam nights, I find myself playing lots of Thin Lizzy tunes, who are one of my favourite bands anyway.

For a while now I've been trying to find out what Phil uses to get the effected sounds he uses on tracks like Dancing in the Moonlight and Waiting for an Alibi, but I haven't really got anywhere, other than it might be a combination or flanger and phaser.

I've been looking at the new EHX Neo Mistress, but have yet to find anyone using it, as its a fairly recent release. I've also been after a Small Stone for a while, so it might be another excuse to get that. I'm not after the exact tone - I just need a point in the right direction to get a rough ballpark sound. I'm quite into the 70s classic rock sound, so I would use it on other tunes as well. I'm looking to spend around £60-100. If I can get away with only buying one pedal, that would be great!

Any help would be much appreciated. I've already got the black P-bass and the Marshall (Gear in my signature).

Many thanks in Advance,

Lorry

[quote name='yorick' post='1324099' date='Aug 2 2011, 12:25 PM']Done this song successfully with either an EBS Unichorus, on the flanger setting. Or a Boss BF2 flanger. The Unichorus has the added advantage of having a chorus as well, and being able to mix both effects.

Nige[/quote]

Hi, when you say mix, you can vary the effect of both at the same time?
Thanks
Tony

[quote name='tonyclaret' post='1324233' date='Aug 2 2011, 01:42 PM']Hi, when you say mix, you can vary the effect of both at the same time?
Thanks
Tony[/quote]

It's been a while since i owned one. I know you can run the flanger and chorus at the same time, but can't remember if you can set the amount of each effect.

I'm not overly familiar with the tracks in question but the EHX Deluxe Electric Mistress is a very sweet sounding flanger, you could get a second hand one for less than £100, easily. Its all over a lot of 80s records.

Another option is the EHX Stereo Electric Mistress, which does chorus and flange (One or both at the same time). They're pretty cheap too, especially second hand.

[quote name='Mog' post='1326311' date='Aug 3 2011, 11:30 PM']AFAIK its a phase 90 on Alibi. Theres a reason why the 90 is more sought after than the others. It sounds right the way it is. Personally I reckon its superior to mods with excessive options.[/quote]

Okay thanks - Looks like a Phase 90 it is then!

Which version is better for bass, the newer 'block logo' or the reissue 'script logo'? Are they both true bypass or buffered bypass?

Ironically, I have been given an original Script logo Phase 90 by a friend, it looks like every other vintage orange box with one knob, except for there are no insides! The circuit was destroyed when someone left a battery in it, while it was in storage for a long time. Eventually I'll get round to building a booster in it.

the script its better on bass in my opinion (I A/B'd the two) - the problem with alot of phasers is that they sweep out the low end, the script seems not to do this so much as the block - its still an obvious lush phase shifting sound but it seems to to shift your low end about as much.

Alot of phasers just plain ole loose the low end - i've owned or tried

Behringer Phaser Shifter
Boss PH3
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR Block Phase 90
Source Audio Tri-mod Phaser
Maxon PH350 Rotary Phaser
HBE Psilocybe Phaser

to my ears, the HBE worked the best for me on bass, followed very closely by the MAXON, I owned and spend alot of time with both. The phase 90s i just A/B'd in a shop against each other and the HBE (which I bought)

However this was in relation to my specific phaser needs, not to match a specific phaser sound.

Hi all!

I've bought myself a standard block logo Phase 90, and its great! Just the ticket for what I wanted. With the speed set at 12:00, you get a good tone for both songs. I can see this pedal also getting a lot of use during recording sessions on guitar. I'll add it to my pedalboard today and hopefully upload the changes later!

Thanks to everyone who posted comments!

Lorry

[quote name='TheRockinRoadie' post='1334703' date='Aug 10 2011, 11:07 AM']Hi all!

I've bought myself a standard block logo Phase 90, and its great! Just the ticket for what I wanted. With the speed set at 12:00, you get a good tone for both songs. I can see this pedal also getting a lot of use during recording sessions on guitar. I'll add it to my pedalboard today and hopefully upload the changes later!

Thanks to everyone who posted comments!

Lorry[/quote]

I tend to just use a chorus pedal with it pretty much on max whenever i play WFAA, just roll off the tone and you wont be far off, plus you save a fortune. Ive got a shorus pedal for lizzy, and just a bog standard chorus pedal for everything else just to make it easier thru the set

• 2 weeks later...