Why become a member? ×

Thoughts about potentially new rig.

jorgenbach

Hi there!

I'm currently looking into buying a powerful rig as my loud band need something which really moves our guts when playing. I do not have the biggest budget tough, so I'm thinking that the Ashdown ABM 410H + Terror Bass 1000 would be a good combination, what do you guys think? The price I'v got on this rig is 1080 GBP

Thanks a lot!

I'm gonna say avoid the standard 4,6 or 8x10 & get your drivers on the vertical.
2 2x10s or 2x12s or even 2 1x15s stacked vertically would give you a better dispersion (so all of your audience can hear how good it is & not just those standing directly in front of your rig) and give you an excellent sound, depending on what make of cab you go for of couse.

As i've posted on another thread about the same amp, you need to be doing some serious venues for that OTB500 not to be loud enough, they are insanely loud, i've played one through a 4x10 and believe me it puts out some serious volume! I did an outdoor biker rally the weekend using my Ashdown ABM500RC and 8x10 and even without going through the PA it was plenty loud enough! The 1000w Orange will be an absolute monster!

I haven't heard the TC rigs, but someone [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=144469&st=20&start=20"]here [/url] has just bought one.
Maybe worth investigation. If it's the Terror Bass you're after, what about a Barefaced cab to go with it?

In my opinion, buy second hand. But if you want to be buying new, then this is probably the best deal!

[url="http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/bass_amps_detail.asp?stock=11072013552688b6"]http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/bass_amps_de...1072013552688b6[/url]

Edited by Bankai

Thanks for your thoughts guys! I'm really not a gear freak, and have to admit I haven't heard of the TC's befoer. But they truly seem fantastic based on my research the last days, at least compared to price. Now, I see Thomann have some different combinations of cabinet they ship with it, what will be the best? As I'v mentioned I need to have a heavy punch in the low frequencies not having it fart on me if I go a little loud. Actually, very loud. As you mention Xgsjx, two 2x12 would normally be a good choice. You think that'll also be the case with these TC-cabs?

Btw. I live in norway, so buying form the UK will cost me quite a lot, it being used or not. And the used market here in Norway is not that good. Hence I try to buy from Gernamy as the shipping cost is fairly cheap from there.

Thanks again!

One of the TC Heads, with two of the 2x12s, which can be stacked vertically, would be one amazing rig, and still have change from your budget.

I can`t believe the deals on TC gear at the moment - just amazing.

I believe Thomann have a very good returns policy, therefore if it's not suitable for you then they take it back.

I have a very bass heavy sound & just now I'm only using a MarkBass 2x10 & it's more than capable for the gigs I do (max has been @ 350 folk & played a beer festival & could shift glasses off of tables :) ), so I think a couple of 2x12s would be more than capable.