Why become a member? ×

What pickguard?

Rich

Ever since playing Si's Shuker P-5 earlier in the year, I've been GASsing for a P bass of some sort. Anyway, as an experiment I've managed to score a cheap P body (manufacturer unknown) from fleaBay and I'm planning to put the neck from my Squier Jazz on it. The body is in a natural finish but the lacquer is quite dark, like a rich honey colour. The question is... which colour scratchplate? My favourite is pearly white but I don't know if it'd work. I don't like tort plates, so that's definitely out.
So, audience... given the choice of [b]3-ply black[/b], [b]3-ply white[/b], [b]pearly white[/b] or [b]pearly black[/b], which would you choose? Or is there something else you'd consider? (brass? sexy but expensive)

[quote name='Rich' post='1312511' date='Jul 22 2011, 11:16 AM']Ever since playing Si's Shuker P-5 earlier in the year, I've been GASsing for a P bass of some sort. Anyway, as an experiment I've managed to score a cheap P body (manufacturer unknown) from fleaBay and I'm planning to put the neck from my Squier Jazz on it. The body is in a natural finish but the lacquer is quite dark, like a rich honey colour. The question is... which colour scratchplate? My favourite is pearly white but I don't know if it'd work. I don't like tort plates, so that's definitely out.
So, audience... given the choice of [b]3-ply black[/b], [b]3-ply white[/b], [b]pearly white[/b] or [b]pearly black[/b], which would you choose? Or is there something else you'd consider? (brass? sexy but expensive)[/quote]

Black guards look nice with natural, in the Marcus Miller/jazz style, or for something a bit different, a gold anodized guard would like nice (£15), but in my opinion, only with a maple neck, rosewood necks in my opinion don't look great with natural bodies full stop. So if your squire neck is maple, then eiether black or anodized would look great.

It's a P bass, just play it and don't look at it! You've got plenty of other tasty basses to look at.....

It's like walking over from your barn full of Ferraris and Bugattis and asking what colour plough would look good on your tractor. :)

I can't even remember what pickguard my P bass has on it, all I know is it feels good to go agricultural once in a while.

RF52, I hear you about the maple neck. That'd be my 1st choice too, unfortunately my Jazz neck isn't. If it works out, i'll probably get a maple neck at a later date. I had wondered about an anodised plate.

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='1312738' date='Jul 22 2011, 01:06 PM']Black. Black as the King of Hell's waistcoat.[/quote]
Pfff. It's a well-known fact that his waistcoat is Burberry.

What makes a guitar/Bass look classy is really in the eye of the beholder, so you can only be happy with your choice. Personally I think that Black only looks good with either Black or White. If I had to choose , I would go for a nice Brown Tortoiseshell scratchplate on a Natural wood finished body. Now that is classy ! Check out the old Fender 'Hot Rod' P.Bass range from around year 2000. They did a Natural & a transparent Orange version, both with Torty scratchplates, & they were gorgeous with the Ash grain showing through the lacguer. I know, cos I had one.

Tony.