Why become a member? ×

Only a stingray sounds like a stingray

ThomBassmonkey

Good game though Thom, well done :)
[/quote]

Original clip No1 has a bit more bite in it to my (increasingly deaf, 48 year old) ears. A bit more treble & high mid range.
I guessed No2 for the ray but it was a complete guess. Came to the thread a bit late to vote.
Couldn't tell the difference. I "liked" both sounds & would happily use both.
& yes my main bass is a Ray (4 string '98, 3 band, white with maple board).
Anything I play sounds like me though, digging in too hard, too much fret clank, aggressive finger style with poor technique, ha ha!

I'm currently thinking of moving to a 5'er, probably a ray but will have to check out a Sandberg now too. Curse you Thom for increasing my GAS!!!

Remember kids, use those plugs! I'm going to have to to keep what little hearing I've got left!
IE20's are recommended I seem to remember reading on here somewhere?
Now I'm only singing B/vox I should be able to get on with them better. Really struggled with pitch with them in previously.

Cheers,
Norm.

[quote name='Vibrating G String' post='1306527' date='Jul 17 2011, 11:38 AM']It's a great one after much modding.

[url="http://damprabbit.com/Basses/olp-mm3.html"]http://damprabbit.com/Basses/olp-mm3.html[/url]

Now it has blue fretlight LEDs on it to make it a killer stage bass.[/quote]

That's tasty! :lol: Would love to see it with the blue leds. I was also toying with the idea of fretlights at one point, I even put fluorescent paint spots on the fretboard side on a couple of basses: I bought a tester of the strongest paint I could find, and some powder separately, then mixed some powder with the paint, to make it even brighter, and applied it. It worked very well... in addition you could feel the paint "bumps" so that was an extra cue :) But in the end I realised that I can see the black dots on a maple board much better than the white dots on a rosewood one... and since I already tended to favour maple, it's been maple for my main basses all along then.
I still like the idea of lights sometimes, just to show off a bit :lol:

My three OLPs have been modified too, but not as extensively, or at least two of them haven't.

This is my "main" OLP. I used this almost exclusively until I found the Stingray on my avatar. I still use it, but not as much. It now has a Seymour Duncan alnico pickup and a Seymour Duncan 3-band preamp. The fretboard edges have been rolled of slightly, and it's just delicious to play.
One night after a bar gig, a guy came to me to tell me he loved the band etc, and how the bass sounded fantastic (I was using a Phil Jones amp I was lent, and I have to admit, it sounded IMMENSE). Then he went on about how Stingrays are the best basses and nothing else compares and blah blah... "Ok" I thought. But I didn't say anything until he had to add a dismissive comment about "copies". Then I just had to show him that "oh, my bass is not a MusicMan, it's an OLP". I loved that moment. He stopped talking and went away :)
Display the OLP logo with pride!!! :D
I don't normally name guitars or basses, but I had a bit of a gastronomic moment and some basses were named as it was getting complicated to answer my girlfriend when she asked "which bass are you taking today?" :P My Stingray is "caramel". This one is "natillas", which in Spanish is a kind of custard.

The bass next to it is a very cheap Shine bass, but very nice it is too. Interestingly, the bridge pickup is not placed at the normal Stingray spot, but further to the bridge, like on a Jazz... and it sounds much more like a jazz on steroids than a Stingray. A lot more.

Before I had the Stingray I bought another OLP, as a backup. This one is still passive. I only put the same SD pickup on it as the other OLP. I didn't like the separate volumes for each coil, so I disconnected one of them, and wired the two coils in parallel to the second volume pot. This is called "liquorice" :lol:

And finally, this is one that I converted to fretless. It has the original 2EQ preamp I had on my Stingray (it now has the John East preamp, with the extra midsweep module), and a Nordstrand MM4.2 pickup. This one is "Friguron". A Friguron was an ice-lolly shaped like a shark (tiburon) we had in Spain when I was younger, and was blue... :D

Oh, they all had the pickguards replaced. Natillas had a tortoise-shell type one which I though looked too "posh" what with the quilt top. I initially put a black one, but then I went for the creamy one it has now. The black OLP had a white one. I hate that combo... so a black pickguard was required. The blue one also had a white pickguard...

I think you could fit a mute kit to them OLP bridges easy enough you know Jose? Drill out the bridge holes with it still attached to the bass with a small pilot bit then remove the bridge and open up the holes to suit the screw threads. where the bit has hit the body beneath you would have to fit some captive threads which could just be nuts glued into the body as they are only holding the springs back rather than holding the bridge on anyway. £25 from bassdirect I beleive after that its four nuts and some araldite glue. :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1306043' date='Jul 16 2011, 05:52 PM']Lets hear the clips in your proposed thread mcnach it could be interesting. One thing the pre EB has over the others for me is that this Stingray tone we talk about is its natural tone compared to my others. Bass on full then adjust the treble like a P bass tone pot to suit your RH technique and its there instantly everytime. The SR4 3EQ can get close but its fiddly to nail it all the time so I just enjoy it as a different sound, Yet on the SR5 its good as it compliments the bass well IMO[/quote]

This. I would say that I'd like to try a pre-EB and compare it with my '88, as having had the '88 a coupla months now, its just absolutely awesome. 2EQ, bass up full and adjust treble to taste (I prefer it about a nadge up from fully off), and you get instant full, natural 'Ray goodness. I can pretty much nail the John Deacon or 'Nard tone through my wee Roland Cube, if not the playing chops obviously. I also find the 3EQ works better with the fretless as being able to tweak the mid complements the fretless tone.

Oh, and talking of the latter, if you want natural 2EQ goodness, I'll see you the Deacon and Pino YouTube clips and raise you this - tip 3.12 onwards for XXX 'Ray action

Edited by MattM

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1306708' date='Jul 17 2011, 02:36 PM']I think you could fit a mute kit to them OLP bridges easy enough you know Jose? Drill out the bridge holes with it still attached to the bass with a small pilot bit then remove the bridge and open up the holes to suit the screw threads. where the bit has hit the body beneath you would have to fit some captive threads which could just be nuts glued into the body as they are only holding the springs back rather than holding the bridge on anyway. £25 from bassdirect I beleive after that its four nuts and some araldite glue. :)[/quote]

THAT is a very interesting suggestion, you know?

I am not sure whether I will keep the fretless (it's actually on the For Sale section :lol: ) but if I keep it, mutes would be a great thing to add. If not, to the black one... hmmm...
I have to google for images of the whole contraption, you make it sound very easy... and I'd so love to have a set of mutes! :D The black one is going to have flats (D'Addario Chromes, when they arrive), add the mutes and... yum! even without preamp.

Do you realise just how much more time (and cash!!!) I'd have if I had never found Basschat??? :)

[quote name='MattM' post='1306739' date='Jul 17 2011, 03:12 PM']This. I would say that I'd like to try a pre-EB and compare it with my '88, as having had the '88 a coupla months now, its just absolutely awesome. 2EQ, bass up full and adjust treble to taste (I prefer it about a nadge up from fully off), and you get instant full, natural 'Ray goodness. I can pretty much nail the John Deacon or 'Nard tone through my wee Roland Cube, if not the playing chops obviously. I also find the 3EQ works better with the fretless as being able to tweak the mid complements the fretless tone.

Oh, and talking of the latter, if you want natural 2EQ goodness, I'll see you the Deacon and Pino YouTube clips and raise you this :

[/quote]

:) fantastic song, fantastic bassline and fantastic bass tone :)

[quote name='MattM' post='1306739' date='Jul 17 2011, 03:12 PM']This. I would say that I'd like to try a pre-EB and compare it with my '88, as having had the '88 a coupla months now, its just absolutely awesome. 2EQ, bass up full and adjust treble to taste (I prefer it about a nadge up from fully off), and you get instant full, natural 'Ray goodness. I can pretty much nail the John Deacon or 'Nard tone through my wee Roland Cube, if not the playing chops obviously. I also find the 3EQ works better with the fretless as being able to tweak the mid complements the fretless tone.

Oh, and talking of the latter, if you want natural 2EQ goodness, I'll see you the Deacon and Pino YouTube clips and raise you this - tip 3.12 onwards for XXX 'Ray action

[/quote]
Id say they would be very similar Matt, The new ClassicRay has the same preamp as both of ours (mine is a 79> non epoxy) and I would say yours would be the same as that and the pre EB just slightly less cutting which must be down to the earlier pup more than anything else. That said the treble knob can take either the pre EB or the newer 2 band ones to most places, I have never used flat out treble ever.

Sorry again Jose for giving you more ideas! You know you love it, The black one with the mutes would be real tasty especially if coupled to one of them repro pre EB 2 band EQ's you can get (Are they from Higgie?) sort of pre EB copy that should perform [u]very[/u] well?

[quote name='MattM' post='1306739' date='Jul 17 2011, 03:12 PM']Oh, and talking of the latter, if you want natural 2EQ goodness, I'll see you the Deacon and Pino YouTube clips and raise you this - tip 3.12 onwards for XXX 'Ray action

[/quote]

Thats a great example of how a pre sounds different to a newer one, Hear how it sort of distorts and farts? The newer ones seem clearer, I can see how some people wouldnt like it doing that but for me it sounds great!

Of course if you want more trumpety, farting, clanky pre EB goodness look no further (and watch mcnach get some pre EB gas........)
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8de2W3rtZsA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8de2W3rtZsA[/url]

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='1306406' date='Jul 17 2011, 08:54 AM']If I had the resources I would record both my stingray and sterling, I'm pretty sure people would be able to guess which is which, even though they are essentially the same bass, same woods, preamp equipped, MM humbucker equipped. But that's rather simplifing the matter.[/quote]
I think the word 'guess' is very important here.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='1306406' date='Jul 17 2011, 08:54 AM']Any making comments on pickup type and everything else being an excuse is the same as who ever says that basses sound the same regardless of what's in it, is an excuse because they don't know/don't care/can't tell.

The difference for between me and them is that I do care, as I'm well aware of the differences between a variety of basses. Although I agree the mix has to be relatively clear and transparent.[/quote]
So,if I say I can't tell you what a bass is purely from listening it means I don't care? I've already said I can't tell what's what in a recorded
situation. I'm very aware of the variations in basses,otherwise I wouldn't own 23,but I will always argue that the player is more recognisable
than the instrument.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='1306406' date='Jul 17 2011, 08:54 AM']I never knew dougie from mcfly played a sterling, but in a blind test no one would tell since the mix is terrible. On the other hand my first hearing of Midget- the Milgram experiment, I could instantly tell the bass was at least from MM background, and I think so would most other MM fans.[/quote]
Just because you've seen Dougie from Mcfly use a Sterling doesn't mean that it's the instrument that he uses for recording. This is going back
to the thing where people see someone use a certain bass and rave about how great and recognisable it sounds,when on record they've used something
completely different (Flea or Geddy,anyone?)

[quote name='Doddy' post='1306799' date='Jul 17 2011, 04:35 PM']Just because you've seen Dougie from Mcfly use a Sterling doesn't mean that it's the instrument that he uses for recording. This is going back
to the thing where people see someone use a certain bass and rave about how great and recognisable it sounds,when on record they've used something
completely different (Flea or Geddy,anyone?)[/quote]

Fender Telecaster, helping Gibson sell Les Pauls since 1969 :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1306924' date='Jul 17 2011, 06:53 PM']Dougie used to be a Stingray player, does anyone know why he switched?[/quote]

Not that I'm a fan or anything,but he's also been seen using a Fender Mark Hoppus.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1306953' date='Jul 17 2011, 07:14 PM']Of course your not mate, all those pictures you had in the lounge at my last lesson were the girlfriends then? :)[/quote]

erm....uhhhh.....errr.....

:)

Can I be forgiven Pete as I have only had my 'Ray in the house for just over a week?!!!

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1306451' date='Jul 17 2011, 10:13 AM']I have just read through from the start and actually I think we all did quite well the first wrong post is #38 Gunsfreddy.

To try and clarify my earlier posts to me both clip 2's sounded nearest to what [i]I would[/i] call a Ray sound so even if they had of come from something else to me those clips would still of been the most Ray to me, The fact they did come from a Ray may hold some weight or it may not :)

Just to prove you dont need the fret clank to have the Ray sound I give you [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWHQtGIF658"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWHQtGIF658[/url] :)[/quote]

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1306597' date='Jul 17 2011, 04:50 AM']In a nutshell this is the truth :lol:[/quote]
I'm agreeing with this one :) If I had to record with one bass and overdub with the other I would have no problem.

I found far less difference in these two clips than I would expect in a string change.

And if I could change my earlier position I would change it to there is a stingray sound but you don't need a stingray to get it. :)

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' post='1307016' date='Jul 17 2011, 08:17 PM']Can I be forgiven Pete as I have only had my 'Ray in the house for just over a week?!!![/quote]
Just this once Mark, Next time I want you nit picking about magnet types and wether the 3,4 or 6 bolted necks sound best with the rest of us :)