Why become a member? ×

Rickenbacker 4001's Neck/String gauge issue

Magnolia

I have my sights set on a rather lovely 4001. I have owned a few 4003's in the past and just love 'em. Don't know why I sold them to be honest.

Anyway, I have heard here and there that 4001's aren't very good with heavier string gauges. Is this true? Does anyone have experience of problems? I use Roto's Swing 66 pretty much exclusively. Are some necks stronger than others? I don't want to go buy the Rick I have seen only for the neck to go 'twang' when I string it. I'm a little heavy handed when I play too....

Is it a myth?

It's also cos the higher tension pulled the neck up a bit and players tried to adjust the 4001 rods the usual way. Doing so tightens the rods but doesnt pull the neck straight!! The neck has to be manually moved into place then the rods are tightened. I have only done this twice on two separate 4001s and I loosened the rods first before tightening, although I have heard that you can move the neck[i] without[/i] loosening rods, something I wouldn't do.

After a bit of googling, from what I can see is the neck issues are to do with adjusting truss rods. 4001 rods don't function like a usual truss rod. Where the rod moves the neck in a usual truss rod. If you try to adjust a 4001 neck like this you're likely to make the fretboard pop off.

I think i'll take the plunge and buy the one I have seen. :)

I have had a few 4003's with the vintage tone thing. And I found I only ever used them with with the vintage tone selected. The bass in question is my b'day bass. Made in the same month and year as me. I think it was for sale on here not too long ago and I wanted it then...

Some of the older 4001 basses don't take too well to heavier gauge roundwounds but you won't really know until you get it. Either way make sure the rods are adjusted correctly. If in doubt get a 4003 or a 4001V63 or C Series.

[quote name='RhysP' post='1303577' date='Jul 14 2011, 02:33 PM']4001's were designed to be used with flat wounds, 4003's with round wounds.
Having said that I used rounds on my 4001's with no noticeable problems.[/quote]

Just to clarify, they were designed to be used with pretty low-tension flatwounds (think more towards TIs), not stuff like 50 gauge Roto/Fender flats. Just in case.... :)

• 4 weeks later...

I bought a great late seventies 4001. After experimenting with rounds I went for thomastik jazz flats and it's a perfect combination. Effortless playability and tight full late Beatles tone. I have rounds on my other basses but the flats give the bass an amazing presence in recordings and playing live without cluttering up the highs. And, of course, you never have to change strings. A perfect bass. N

Edited by Cairobill

I think that this can vary from bass to bass. My 1979 4001 has had roundwounds on it from new without any problems whatsoever but I know that other people have had issues.

As mentioned above, the 4003 was designed specifically for roundwounds as were most of the current "vintage" reissues.

I would look at what this 4001 is presently strung with and also check the fretboard for the marks that roundwound strings leave. If it has roundwounds on it then chances are it will be OK.

My main advice would be, don't mess with the truss rods on a 4001 unless you really know what you are doing.

[quote name='Magnolia' post='1302414' date='Jul 13 2011, 02:52 PM']After a bit of googling, from what I can see is the neck issues are to do with adjusting truss rods. 4001 rods don't function like a usual truss rod. Where the rod moves the neck in a usual truss rod. If you try to adjust a 4001 neck like this you're likely to make the fretboard pop off.

I think i'll take the plunge and buy the one I have seen. :)[/quote]

The original strings on my 4001 were flat-wound and I seem to recall they were quite light although I can't remember the exact gauge.
At one point I changed them for wire-wounds of a heavier gauge and hated them.
The guitar didn't like them much either.
That doesn't mean yours won't be ok though.

Make sure that when/if you adjust the truss rods the guitar has the strings tuned to pitch.
Having said that, it's really a job for someone who knows what they are doing.
(I went to watch mine being done once and had to leave the room.) :)

Check out Joey's Bass Notes. [url="http://www.joeysbassnotes.com/default.htm"]http://www.joeysbassnotes.com/default.htm[/url]
You'll probably find out most of what you need to know there.

Like you my 4001 has a significant date of manufacture, made the month and year I got married, February 1978.

I always use Rotosound 105/45 on my Rick without any problems. Martin Turner from Wishbone Ash uses a gauge higher (I know this because he borrowed my bass and put slightly heavier strings on it for recording (and this had no detrimental effect at all). Ricks have a dual truss rod so if they are adjusted correctly you should not have an issue. If you are going to use heavy strings I would suggest getting it set-up by someone who knows what he is doing, ie: a professional.

Cheers for all the advice. Its reassuring to know it should be ok with heavier strings. I have just this minute got home after buying it :)

Does anyone have any recommendations for who to take to to get set up? Local to London/Essex. I'd rather someone who knew about 4001 rods do it.