Why become a member? ×

Purple-Chili new 750w bass head

crez5150

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='OzMike' post='1311375' date='Jul 21 2011, 11:54 AM']I'm pretty curious about what class D module they're using for this, as - AFAIK - 2-ohm capability for the OEM modules GB and MB uses is not very common (in fact, I can't recall any of their amps working at 2ohms at all).[/quote]

Over speccing the cooling perhaps as alot of components are limited primarily by thermal capacity.

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='sk8' post='1340687' date='Aug 15 2011, 02:10 PM']Very quick summary - F&@KING AWESOME AMP![/quote]

Thats my kind of review :)

Edited by bassman7755

Will do a proper review later but can put some more specs up now.

Mine is the 450watt version, should do about 530 at 2 ohms although throught the Bergs 4x12's 450 is enough for me!

Not sure what module mike is using but it will do a 2 ohm load. all the components are top notch

Its a 3 tube pre amp built by Denis Cornell (Pedal and amp fame) linked to a Class D power amp. The DI runs off the second stage of the first Preamp tube. There is no fan as one isn't needed. It's a LOT lighter than it might look. Everytime i pick it up i'm expecting a heavy weight!

I like it cos to me the other lightweight amps, like the shuttle, tc etc look a bit silly sat a top a big cab like the NV412. Now admittedly this isn't going to fit in a gig bag but weight wise its filled with helium!

I have Serial No.1 of these amps as i'm doing the final proving of these in agigging situations etc. I've suggested to mike that although not critical, for the cost he might considera mute switch for run 2 of the amps.

I've used this at a gig last saturday and i've got another this weekend. I turned it on and left it on for 3 hours and it was just fine and it was a hot sweaty pub! I usually use a hiwatt 200 custom so like a big fat clean tone so thats what i set if up for. I've not had the time to play with settings but it will grind if needed.

I love it as its something different in the world of lightweight amps, made in the uk with handwired point to point pre amp etc. in a bigger casing

I've owned, MB LM3, Shuttle 6, Shuttle 3, Ibanez Prometheon (Still got this) and IMHO it slays them all. But i would say that :)

As i have a Purple Chili 112 cab i may let my prometheon go as although a slighlty bigger rig its not that much heavier and gives me what i want. A no tweetered twelve with a vavle pre to use as a practice rig.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1342782' date='Aug 17 2011, 09:47 AM']Sounds cool, I like the fact its UK/hand wired. :)

Similar, I guess, to the Streamliner, but in a more old school sense with more work involved with the build. Plus, as its UK he can sort it if there are problems :)[/quote]

It feels more solid and real than the GB amps if that makes sense. Its definitely got that old school vibe but with a modern twist, ie the Class D power amp.

Second outing, same result. Pleased with the tone. Not quite in the same ballpark as the hiwatt but so bloody close when you take the weight into consideration its a win win situation.

Really think Mike is on to something with these amps

• 2 months later...

Couple of bad pics of my Foundation 212 and Purple Chili Phat bass head

[IMG]http://i420.photobucket.com/albums/pp287/spongebob_sqaurepants/IMAG0015.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i420.photobucket.com/albums/pp287/spongebob_sqaurepants/IMAG0003.jpg[/IMG]