Why become a member? ×

Just completed building a Jazz & Precision

thebrig

Here are a couple of basses that I have just completed.

I have designed my own logo, which is made up of my surname which is Darke, with horse added to it.
I have registered the name, just in case I decide to sell bits & pieces online one day.

One is a fretless Jazz bass, and the other is a Precision bass, which I have called ‘Old Thumper’.
The reason is because I have used a Wizard Thumper pickup, and my favourite tipple is Ringwood’s Old Thumper.

I’m really pleased with them both, as they play and sound great, and saved me a lot of money in the process.

[i][b]The jazz is made up of:[/b][/i]
[i]Body[/i]: Mighty Mite
[i]Neck[/i]: Mighty Mite Precision with ‘Ebonal’ board
[i]Tuners[/i]: No-Name Deluxe
[i]Bridge[/i]: Gotoh 201
[i]Pickups[/i]: EMG Active
[i]Finish[/i]: Natural Ash with 'Tru-Oil' (gunstock oil) finish

[i][b]The precision is made up of:[/b][/i]
[i]Body[/i]: Squier VM
[i]Neck[/i]: Mighty Mite Jazz with maple board
[i]Tuners[/i]: Wilkinson
[i]Pickup[/i]: Wizard Thumper
[i]Finish[/i]: Olympic White with Tortoiseshell pickguard

Edited by thebrig

[quote name='thebrig' post='1298448' date='Jul 9 2011, 06:48 PM']Here are a couple of basses that I have just completed.

I have designed my own logo, which is made up of my surname which is Darke, with horse added to it.
I have registered the name, just in case I decide to sell bits & pieces online one day.

One is a fretless Jazz bass, and the other is a Precision bass, which I have called ‘Old Thumper’.
The reason is because I have used a Wizard Thumper pickup, and my favourite tipple is Ringwood’s Old Thumper.

I’m really pleased with them both, as they play and sound great, and saved me a lot of money in the process.

[i][b]The jazz is made up of:[/b][/i]
[i]Body[/i]: Mighty Mite
[i]Neck[/i]: Mighty Mite Precision with ‘Ebonal’ board
[i]Tuners[/i]: No-Name Deluxe
[i]Pickups[/i]: EMG Active
[i]Finish[/i]: Natural Ash with Gun Oil finish

[i][b]The precision is made up of:[/b][/i]
[i]Body[/i]: Squier VM
[i]Neck[/i]: Mighty Mite Jazz with maple board
[i]Tuners[/i]: Wilkinson
[i]Pickup[/i]: Wizard Thumper
[i]Finish[/i]: Olympic White with Tortoiseshell pickguard[/quote]

Where are they then :)

[quote name='lojo' post='1298476' date='Jul 9 2011, 07:30 PM']nice one, they look good

how do you find the might mite necks? Im in the market for a maple P bass neck[/quote]
This the man I use, his prices are very competitive, and he will give it a vintage finish if required for a bit extra.

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mighty-Mite-Lic-Fender-Maple-Precision-Bass-Neck-/330586010233?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item4cf8763279"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mighty-Mite-Lic-Fend...=item4cf8763279[/url]

[quote name='PURPOLARIS' post='1298490' date='Jul 9 2011, 07:56 PM']Wow, worth the wait, very nice :)[/quote]
Thanks, you never know whether they will turn out any good.
The easy part is to make them look good.
But the satisfaction is complete, when you plug them in, and they play and sound great.
Can't wait to use them at a gig now!

[quote name='Blademan_98' post='1298501' date='Jul 9 2011, 08:09 PM']If you feel like parting with the fretless then can you give me a chance to buy it?

Cheeky I know, but you have to try!

Great looking basses :)[/quote]
My first ever "Bitsa"?
It will probably be with me for ever!

Thanks for the kind comments though.

Edited by thebrig

[quote name='thebrig' post='1298503' date='Jul 9 2011, 08:11 PM']My first ever "Bitsa"?
It will probably be with me for ever!

Thanks for the kind comments though.[/quote]

And so they should!

You must be very proud, I know I would be.

Good job and I hope they give you many hours of gigging joy!

Very nice - once you start Frankensteining, it's hard to stop, or even to be satisfied with an off-the-shelf bass again.

Where did you get the MM body from?

I got a MM maple Jazz neck delivered from the States (a guy on EBay) in about four days the other week for £75 inc postage. :)

[quote name='Muzz' post='1298510' date='Jul 9 2011, 08:17 PM']Very nice - once you start Frankensteining, it's hard to stop, or even to be satisfied with an off-the-shelf bass again.

Where did you get the MM body from?

I got a MM maple Jazz neck delivered from the States (a guy on EBay) in about four days the other week for £75 inc postage. :)[/quote]
Good price for the neck, did you pay any duty on it?

The body came from the states (eBay), brand new for £120 and got away with duty, so I was well pleased in getting a very nice swamp ash jazz body for that money.

[quote name='gary mac' post='1298541' date='Jul 9 2011, 08:40 PM']They both look lovely Brig, really impressive.

Maybe I'll get to hear them at some point as we are both in the same county :)

Let me know where/when you are gigging[/quote]
I've just left my regular band due to musical differences.
But now joined up with a couple of new guys, but only at the jamming stage at the moment.
So it will probably be a little while yet before I get gigging again.
Maybe I will have to try a open mic session, just to see what the basses are like in a live situation.

Edited by thebrig

[quote name='thebrig' post='1298519' date='Jul 9 2011, 08:26 PM']Good price for the neck, did you pay any duty on it?

The body came from the states (eBay), brand new for £120 and got away with duty, so I was well pleased in getting a very nice swamp ash jazz body for that money.[/quote]

Nope, no duty on the neck, the seller had very helpfully put a $30 value on the package, so it sailed through. That's a fantastic body, I'm off to have a look on EBay now - certainly cheaper than the Warmoth options I'm considering at the moment...

[quote name='thebrig' post='1298566' date='Jul 9 2011, 09:12 PM']I've just left my regular band due to musical differences.
But now joined up with a couple of new guys, but only at the jamming stage at the moment.
So it will probably be a little while yet before I get gigging again.
Maybe I will have to try a open mic session, just to see what the basses are like in a live situation.[/quote]

I've just been asked to stand in for a departed bass player, wonder if its the same band? Yet another set list for me to learn.

There is a well run open mic night at the white swan in hoddesdon, not sure when the next one is but I can find out, if you are interested.

[quote name='gary mac' post='1298579' date='Jul 9 2011, 09:33 PM']I've just been asked to stand in for a departed bass player, wonder if its the same band? Yet another set list for me to learn.

There is a well run open mic night at the white swan in hoddesdon, not sure when the next one is but I can find out, if you are interested.[/quote]
Hoddesdon is a little bit far out for me, there is an open mic nearer to home that I might try.
Thanks anyway.

[quote name='tedgilley' post='1298703' date='Jul 10 2011, 01:52 AM']Beautiful work!

What is gun oil finish? You just apply the oil to the sanded raw wood? Same to the neck?

Thanks.[/quote]
Thanks for the kind comments.

I should really have said 'Tru-Oil'
It is what gunsmiths use on shotguns to enhance the woodstock.
I applied around 5/6 coats to the body using my finger, and the same to the headstock.
I left the rest of the neck unfinished, as I like the feel of the natural wood, as it doesn't get sticky when it gets warm.
'Tru-Oil' can be purchased from most gunsmiths, or online.
Here's a link:

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Birchwood-Casey-Tru-Oil-Gun-Stock-Finish-8oz-/190549917603?pt=UK_SportingGoods_Hunting_ShootingSports_ET&hash=item2c5da8ffa3"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Birchwood-Casey-Tru-...=item2c5da8ffa3[/url]

Edited by thebrig

[quote name='thebrig' post='1298492' date='Jul 9 2011, 07:58 PM']This the man I use, his prices are very competitive, and he will give it a vintage finish if required for a bit extra.

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mighty-Mite-Lic-Fender-Maple-Precision-Bass-Neck-/330586010233?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item4cf8763279"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mighty-Mite-Lic-Fend...=item4cf8763279[/url][/quote]

cheers , I like the vintage finish but they have fender logos on, so I requested a cost for without logo, fingers crossed, thanks for the tip

Whoa! Nice basses dude! The oil finish on the jazz is awesome!

I was thinking of making an MM jazz, as the prices for the parts seem resonable, and everyone seems to love them! My concern with doing it is that I have absolutley no experiance doing this sort of thing, so how difficult is it to make?