Why become a member? ×

Promethean

SisterAbdullahX

Grown man with 3 kids who really should know better has to report his excitement at just ordering Promethean P5210 2x10 combo from Thomann. Can't wait. Hope it's as good as everyone says! By the way, how long do Thomann take to deliver after payment?

Edited by SisterAbdullahX

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1297537' date='Jul 8 2011, 07:13 PM']Awesome! Welcome to a select gang of cool people who are both handsome and witty. :)

I may be wrong, but I think you'll be the first BC'er with a 2x10. It should be fab, but I'd love to hear what you think...[/quote]

Cheers!

Yes, I could be the first one. Hoping it'll be exactly what I need for the kind of gigs I do. I've no doubt I'll be wetting myself with excitement so much that I'll be dying to let everyone know what I think of it. Your reviews of the 1x10 were part of the reason I went for it, that and it's small, powerful and inexpensive, a 500 watt, 4 ohm, 2x10 amp, couple of sets of strings and a stand all for less than 700 quid delivered and with 3 year guarantee!

The only thing that could make me happier would be a weekend trip with the family to a delightful part of Scotland to pick up an MIJ Jazz, so I think I'll do that tomorrow!

Another user of the 1x10 here - gigging it 7 times this week! Have ordered the 1x10 extension cab and can't wait to use it in anger next week, going to order a couple of custom covers for the combo and cab also. Superb piece of kit!

[quote name='acidbass' post='1297938' date='Jul 9 2011, 03:09 AM']Another user of the 1x10 here - gigging it 7 times this week! Have ordered the 1x10 extension cab and can't wait to use it in anger next week, going to order a couple of custom covers for the combo and cab also. Superb piece of kit![/quote]

Great! Yeah I'll be getting onto Roqsolid for a cover as well. I'm also going to make a box to stand it on to lift the speakers nearer ear height.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1297670' date='Jul 8 2011, 09:02 PM']Cool!

I've started gigging mine fairly regularly. A couple of nights a week. Love it... I'd love to give the 210 a shot![/quote]

Michael, are you gigging it on its own or with the Bergs? Not going off the Streamliner are you???

[quote name='Kirky' post='1297979' date='Jul 9 2011, 08:55 AM']Michael, are you gigging it on its own or with the Bergs? Not going off the Streamliner are you???[/quote]

I've recently started doing gigs with a singer / acoustic guitarist and a perc player. At first, I was using the Streamliner and a single Berg, but I had to use the Prom combo a couple of times when the stage area was tiny (even though the rooms themselves were quite big).

It did a great job, even though don't going through the PA, so I'm using it pretty much full-time with this band. It can't half throw it out when needed.

For everything else, the Streamliner rules all. It's got 'it', and still makes me grin like an idiot. Of course, the Prom head is a worthy backup.

I'm quite tempted to sell my shuttle to fund the 1x10 combo (again!) cause I'm in need of a decent, powerful but portable combo; and the head can run my Bergs for everything else. Just not quite sure I've got the guts to sell the shuttle. Especially after my luck with promethean.
(Two combos and TWO 1x10 cabs have let me down, and the bag!)
Sounds great though.

[quote name='SisterAbdullahX' post='1297658' date='Jul 8 2011, 08:50 PM']Cheers!

Yes, I could be the first one. Hoping it'll be exactly what I need for the kind of gigs I do. I've no doubt I'll be wetting myself with excitement so much that I'll be dying to let everyone know what I think of it. Your reviews of the 1x10 were part of the reason I went for it, that and it's small, powerful and inexpensive, a 500 watt, 4 ohm, 2x10 amp, couple of sets of strings and a stand all for less than 700 quid delivered and with 3 year guarantee!

The only thing that could make me happier would be a weekend trip with the family to a delightful part of Scotland to pick up an MIJ Jazz, so I think I'll do that tomorrow![/quote]

Hope the Jazz AND the Promethean do the business (well I know the Jazz will). And remember the the review of the Ibanez for all of us with gigantic amps and flats on the 3rd floor.

[quote name='gjones' post='1298436' date='Jul 9 2011, 06:37 PM']Hope the Jazz AND the Promethean do the business (well I know the Jazz will). And remember the the review of the Ibanez for all of us with gigantic amps and flats on the 3rd floor.[/quote]

Will do. Loving the Jazz! Even started to get used to the DR's. Yes, heavy amps and 3rd story flats are not a happy combo! I know, I used to live 4 flights up and used to own an SWR Goliath, ouch!

I am a very happy Promethean owner, would not part with it for love nor money, however it does suffer a bit in the speaker department due to the small size, but there is a solution I have found: you need a decent speaker simulator pedal, and if you really want it to sound proper and melt your soul, put one of these in front of it, satisfaction guaranteed or your money back. You won't believe the improvement that pedal gives to the mighty Promethean.

[quote name='krazy_olie' post='1299077' date='Jul 10 2011, 04:26 PM']Any opinions on the extension cab? Is it better than than the cab in the combo? Probably ordering one this week[/quote]

Yes if you use it together with the combo you get the full 500W and yes it soulds a lot better specially because the extention one has a neodymium loaded speaker in it.

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1299283' date='Jul 10 2011, 09:21 PM']Yes if you use it together with the combo you get the full 500W and yes it soulds a lot better specially because the extention one has a neodymium loaded speaker in it.[/quote]

I'm sory GW but i didn't understand your reply. Are you saying the ext cab (neo) sounds better than the ceramic in the combo? I've tried the 110 combo and loved it and tried the cab from the combo linked to my Shuttle and loved it even more. I'm thinking in ordering the ext cab but i was affraid it wouldn't sound as good as the ceramic cab. Can you make a quick description of both?

Cheers

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' post='1300826' date='Jul 12 2011, 11:52 AM']I'm sory GW but i didn't understand your reply. Are you saying the ext cab (neo) sounds better than the ceramic in the combo? I've tried the 110 combo and loved it and tried the cab from the combo linked to my Shuttle and loved it even more. I'm thinking in ordering the ext cab but i was affraid it wouldn't sound as good as the ceramic cab. Can you make a quick description of both?

Cheers[/quote]

Yes it does, what I meant, and you will notice as well, that the neo cab definately has better dynamic response, it's punchier and more defined in the mid to low range, the 2 together work perfectly, but if you try the head with either speakers you will realize what I mean.

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1300860' date='Jul 12 2011, 12:15 PM']Yes it does, what I meant, and you will notice as well, that the neo cab definately has better dynamic response, it's punchier and more defined in the mid to low range, the 2 together work perfectly, but if you try the head with either speakers you will realize what I mean.[/quote]

That's great! I was thinking in taking the plunge for the ext cab because it's smaller and a bit lighter than my STL-12T (i know how ridiculous this may sound...) but i was affraid that the neo speaker didn't held on as well in the low-end as the ceramic i've tried. It's incredible the huge sound such a tiny thing can put out!

I did a AB with the promethean 110 combo against my STL-9.0/12T rig, the promethean was lower (probably cab design working here, the cab has a subwoofer design like the EV TL-606 and front ported as the STL is rear ported and the port area is significantly smaller) and almost as loud (the difference didn't reflected the 900W-500W rating and the 1x10 vs 1x12 cab).
In direct comparison i couldn't stop feeling that the GB was harsher in the upper mid region and the Promethean sounded sweeter but this was because the Promethean was colouring the sound there, the GB remains faithfull to the bass's sound.

Thanks for the reply GW.

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1300860' date='Jul 12 2011, 12:15 PM']Yes it does, what I meant, and you will notice as well, that the neo cab definately has better dynamic response, it's punchier and more defined in the mid to low range, the 2 together work perfectly, but if you try the head with either speakers you will realize what I mean.[/quote]
Not sure that's specifically a Neo thing - IIRC the extension cab is a significantly bigger box.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='SisterAbdullahX' post='1297528' date='Jul 8 2011, 07:06 PM']Grown man with 3 kids who really should know better has to report his excitement at just ordering Promethean P5210 2x10 combo from Thomann. Can't wait. Hope it's as good as everyone says! By the way, how long do Thomann take to deliver after payment?[/quote]
Amp arrived today right in time for tomorrow's gig HURRAH!! Will have to go back to Thomann as one corner of the cabinet is damaged, BUGGER!!!

[quote name='SisterAbdullahX' post='1312758' date='Jul 22 2011, 02:25 PM']Amp arrived today right in time for tomorrow's gig HURRAH!! Will have to go back to Thomann as one corner of the cabinet is damaged, BUGGER!!![/quote]
Oh, fer cryin' out loud....

Packaging fail, or....?

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1312763' date='Jul 22 2011, 02:28 PM']Oh, fer cryin' out loud....

Packaging fail, or....?[/quote]

That's almost something like what I said!

No, very well packaged (box inside a box separated by chunky polystyrene) and packaging undamaged, so looks like it went in like that! Been very impressed with Thomann so far so will soon see what their aftersales is like.

Early impressions in the 5 minutes I had to spend with it are; perfect size for my needs, not heavy, looks great, head is tiny, spray on finishes are delicate and it's far too loud to try in my kitchen, even with the master almost off! Full review after tomorrow nights gig (wedding, 6 piece band in small venue).

[quote name='gjones' post='1312852' date='Jul 22 2011, 03:39 PM']I'd be very interested in your review (considering I just bought a new TC classic 450 and it was a toss up between it and the Ibanez).[/quote]

Me too... would be grateful to hear opinions, as I'm looking at getting either a TC Classic or a Promethean(?) :)
Thanks