Why become a member? ×

Slap bass dilemma

grimbeaver

I have played bass for many many years and like a lot of folk on here I have often slagged of slappers especially bad taste over the top slappers, or slapping for the sake of it when not required. (Oh and music shop slappers)
Deep down though I don’t know if it was just jealousy as I couldn’t play that style.
I have had all the books and vids on it and copied a few you tube licks but never really got down to learning properly, I even have a Jaydee that’s never had its bottom slapped properly.
It won’t go away though and I have over the last few weeks given it some time and effort and I like it, it’s giving me “bass buzz” again, my Jaydee is out of storage, my strings have shrunk to funk master 30/90s, and I have a seg on my thumb.
Am I going over to the dark side? Will slap take over from my rock style playing? Will all bass players hate me from now on and slag of the slapping? Will I be a changed man?
I can’t stop myself from following this terrible path and like a star trek tractor beam it is drawing me in.

Help

[quote name='grimbeaver' post='1295788' date='Jul 7 2011, 11:22 AM']Am I going over to the dark side? Not really

Will slap take over from my rock style playing? I wouldn't think so

Will all bass players hate me from now on and slag of the slapping? Of course they will.... it's Basschat after all

Will I be a changed man? Yes... but for the better.....

Help[/quote]

Slap is okay but I wouldn't go for the 30-90 gauge...
I have used them too but it's just a bit too thin imo and you'll miss some bottom which you still need..
It's a gauge that works really wel in a band like Level 42 but on other occasions there could be not enough low to drive a band.
Good luck anyway..

On a sensible note it has been refreshing to learn something completely new and I am enjoying it, I dont really think it will take over my style etc as I play all rock material and have no songs it would suit.

Need to go now and make youtube clips of me slapping away

Addictive isn't it...I don't think that you're alone in slagging off slappers when you can't do it..I think of slapping as just another stage and style of playing. If it enthuses you to play how can it be a bad thing?? I accept that slapping for the sake of it - a la Nigel Clutterbuck - is not particularly easy on the ear but when played rhythmically slap has it's own personailty and a warmth that you just don't get from using a pick or your fingers.

For those who tell you that Bass is a background instrument - best they go and tell Stanley Clarke, Mark King, Victor Wooten - players who put Bass on the map..

t's OK. This can be cured. Put a heavier set of strings on and try to sound more like Larry Graham and you'll be fine.

If you catch King Miller Wooten (KMW) disease and start uncontrollable triple thumbing you might need medical attention!

Depends what you want from your bass playing, slap isn't very fashionable at the moment so you may end up spending time learning it but not really using those skills. Perhaps your time would be better spent learning other things that will further your bass playing career?

On the other hand, if you play for fun then there's no reason not to go for it!

I'd say don't just focus on the usual slap lines that have been done a million times, you'll end up sounding like everyone else. Try using the slap technique to play the stuff you already play and you're more likely to sound like you and come up with something a bit different. It should be more a technique for attacking the strings and not for note choices IMO.

Edited by Fat Rich

A great technique to have. I'm doing the reverse and moving away from (sometimes unnecessary) slapping. It is needed for some tunes in my sets, but i'm feeling like it's 'expected' and overdone (sometimes). It is interesting when you hear folk talk, that a player who can slap is often percieved a 'better' (read Flashy) bass player than one who doesn't - which as we all know, is not the case. I've had many hours of fun slapping - but am trying to avoid it where possible.

This is all IMHO of course.

Peace

Graeme

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='1295853' date='Jul 7 2011, 12:28 PM']Oh I forgot, we need someone to post this:

Yawn another slap thread yawn lol typical ur jealous lol.[/quote]

They are all at lunch - or watching Youtube at the moment.

Garry

[quote name='ShergoldSnickers' post='1295913' date='Jul 7 2011, 01:04 PM'](Whispering very, very quietly) I once did. Even worse, I've seen Cliff Richard, admittedly with the Shadows. My big sisters made me. :)[/quote]
This is certainly a day for revelations. Clarky just told me what the first single he bought was :)

[quote name='ShergoldSnickers' post='1295913' date='Jul 7 2011, 01:04 PM'](Whispering very, very quietly) I once did. Even worse, I've seen Cliff Richard, admittedly with the Shadows. My big sisters made me. :)[/quote]

I'll see your Cliff Richard, and raise you Black Lace!

BTW I love hearing slap bass - I feel that one of the main purposes of bass guitar is to make people want to dance, and slap does that for me. Unfortunately, I can't actually do it very well at all despite years of trying!

[quote name='lowdown' post='1295825' date='Jul 7 2011, 11:59 AM']:) :) :lol: :D :P

Garry[/quote]

[quote name='crez5150' post='1295827' date='Jul 7 2011, 11:59 AM']That's what I was thinking......[/quote]

Dunno if I didn't explain the note choices very well, I'm just a bit bored with the slap pop octaves and minor sevenths and would like to hear something a bit more melodic. I know it's a bit of a generalisation and there are some players who play some more interesting lines, but a lot of the people who give slap a bad name only play the old cliches.

Are you guys unhappy that I think thats all there is to slap or are you saying that's all there should be to slap?

[quote name='Fat Rich' post='1295946' date='Jul 7 2011, 01:26 PM']Are you guys unhappy that I think thats all there is to slap or are you saying that's all there should be to slap?[/quote]

Hey Rich - was just trying to work out what you was saying...
Twas a mystery, thats all.... :)

Garry