Why become a member? ×

Short notice 'mates' dep gigs... don't you love em! LOL

warwickhunt

[quote name='Sibob' post='1287705' date='Jun 30 2011, 01:46 PM']Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that every party/wedding HAS to have 'typical' function band set, but organizers should be acutely aware that to achieve a decent vibe at an event, you have to cater for the masses, rather than settling for more leftfield individualistic choices to save some money.

To be fair, any band worth their salt should be able to present a 'standard' setlist in a way that is different and exciting anyway!

Si[/quote]

For me, it is simple..I don't want to do them... and if people want to book us..they get what prompted them to book us in the first place..which is likely another gig.
There is no movement on this... we talk to the bride and groom direct and they know exactly what we will do.

[quote name='JTUK' post='1287778' date='Jun 30 2011, 02:26 PM']we talk to the bride and groom direct and they know exactly what we will do.[/quote]

Sadly though, despite what they would like to think, the B&G rarely speak for the rest of the audience in terms of musical taste. I've done a few wedding gigs. Some were brilliant and others were absolutely awful. In all cases we were booked directly by the about-to-be-wedded couple...

None of which bothers me...as I would just as soon have turned it down in the first place.
We have a date in Aug booked after a recent gig..decent enough money in a nice band venue with FOH and lighing supplied and the place is actually befitting of a wedding but I just know it will be a waste of time.
Hence that is why, we gave them a silly fee...and they called our bluff so we are consoled in our misery. :)

Having said that since the B&G can be older, they are more determined that it will be their show..as they are paying for it. One of our best gigs last year was of that ilk.

We are looking at Weddings and New Year at the moment. We are a three piece with a very modern and simple setup, (bass/vocals, drums/percussion, acoustic guitar/main vocals).

Its such good fun and an easy load in, that I really appreciate being in the band.

Im quite excited about more work, but I know they are starting to say 'no' to any freebies, even to pubs we worked with before just to get our foot in the door.

Weddings? We are looking at £500 minimum for the band.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1287736' date='Jun 30 2011, 02:00 PM']I'm 99% certain that the band was booked as a direct result of either being fans of the band and/or mates of said band. I do concede that Si is right, there is nothing worse than a band just doing their normal thing to almost 'spite' the assembled masses at a wedding but this does appear to be a laid back affair.[/quote]

Hahah, I didn't mean based on the musician situation or the actual quality of music...

I just think the Mrs wouldn't have had the greatest first impression if I told her I had booked a band for the wedding and they were called "Someone Else's Omelette" :)

Edited by skej21

I've always said that it's a good job weddings pay so well! There's always a lot of waiting around and then 60% of the guests find a band annoying as they can't hear themselves talk and then you get asked to play heaps of standard stuff that you are really bored of playing. To cap it all off the hot lady in the white dress seems to be preoccupied with another bloke. Oh well at least they pay well!!!

I can sympathise with warwickhunt. Had a gig on Guy Fawkes night last year, was called up on the Wednesday by a lead guitarist I get on with, asking if I was doing anything on the Friday night. Turned out his covers band had bailed out last minute and was scraping together other musicians. I hesitated, he said 'don't worry it'll be fine'.

Had to take the Friday afternoon off just to brush up on 40 songs (!) when I got there, I discovered he plucked up a drummer on the same day as gig! Best of all, the gig was at the Pickerel in Slowmarket. Now I know why his bandmates jumped ship last minute! Never play there people!

I am now in an original band with the said guitarist. Pulls the same stunt still but have learnt to say 'no'!

I know every situation is different but some last minute things are never meant to be...

Luke

[quote name='L_Bass_Dog85' post='1288056' date='Jun 30 2011, 06:10 PM']the gig was at the Pickerel in Slowmarket. Now I know why his bandmates jumped ship last minute! Never play there people!

Luke[/quote]
Is that the pub accross from the railway line ?

[quote name='L_Bass_Dog85' post='1288976' date='Jul 1 2011, 01:26 PM']Yes it is. Have you had the benefits of playing there then?

Luke[/quote]
Ages ago Luke , and I can't remember much about it . I seem to think it was a bit dead . Why is it really dodgy .
We sometimes branch out a bit and play newer places (for us) , and it's handy to know the boozers to steer clear of . I can't be doing with the scrapping at gigs anymore , I'm far more into good crowds that are into their music , and have a healthy ratio of fit birds :)