Why become a member? ×

For those who want a wide spaced Stingray 5,

Darkstrike

[quote name='Darkstrike' post='1286656' date='Jun 29 2011, 05:04 PM']Dang, that whole thing became a disasterpiece across Tb and the MM forums.

Shame they're not including peeps outside the US.[/quote]

Yeah, some of the posters on TB really seem to have it in for Sterling Ball. WHilst I am dubious whether the numbers proposed and the window being used would really give this a cahnce at success, I was keen to order one to help it along. Sterling's offer to give the money to charity shows that he really is a top bloke. Some of the TB posters following the announcement of the charity offer and the price reduction were downright cringeworthy. Its a big shame there is basically no way for someone outside of the US to order one unless you reach an agreemetn with someone in the US to do the whole thing for you.

[quote name='Mark Latimour' post='1286672' date='Jun 29 2011, 05:12 PM']Yeah, some of the posters on TB really seem to have it in for Sterling Ball. WHilst I am dubious whether the numbers proposed and the window being used would really give this a cahnce at success, I was keen to order one to help it along. Sterling's offer to give the money to charity shows that he really is a top bloke. Some of the TB posters following the announcement of the charity offer and the price reduction were downright cringeworthy. Its a big shame there is basically no way for someone outside of the US to order one unless you reach an agreemetn with someone in the US to do the whole thing for you.[/quote]

I was dubious from the start myself, posting the thread here was my attempt at helping it along, before we found out the no UK deal.

I had no love for Sterling at the start of this, but I wouldn't have called myself a hater. After all this, I'd say he's a decent bloke, just rough around the edges as it were. As for TB's response to the charity deal, dreadful, truly. Definitely a shame about there being no way for someone outside the US to order one.

I don't have a particular opinion of SB, colourful character as he may be, and I certainly like their products... what i can't stand is the herd of brown-nosers jumping at every opportunity to "defend" anything that they perceive as an attack on their beloved company and/or their leader's honour. Really mindboggling.
I mean, they started pretty much with patronising comments against anyone who might think a 19mm spacing SR5 was a good idea. Their view seemed to be that the company didn't make one at the time, and since the company is perfect, deal with it, shut up and move along.

The whole thread was getting out of hand and was just ridiculous, from what I saw.

Utterly ridiculous.

[quote name='Darkstrike' post='1286920' date='Jun 29 2011, 08:27 PM']The whole deal that they can't see that some might want/need/prefer wide spacing is mindboggling. I mean why do they think all the other company's make 'em that way, just to screw with people?[/quote]

Blasphemy!!!! burn him! burn him aliiiive!!!!

[quote name='Darkstrike' post='1286920' date='Jun 29 2011, 08:27 PM']The whole deal that they can't see that some might want/need/prefer wide spacing is mindboggling. I mean why do they think all the other company's make 'em that way, just to screw with people?[/quote]

I think its probably because they have a 4 month+ waiting list (and Ive been buying new from them for over 10 years now) and this wait always seems to be around this long. In fact, its got longer.

The Stingray 5 was such a massive influence on the market, and is still defined as one of 'the' classic 5 string basses. Ive grown up knowing that I would always end up with a Ray 5. From my days of looking at one in a store near me and being fascinated, to now, I still find them brilliant.

5ers are still new to me, in all honesty. I tried 34", 35" and all different spacings. In the end, I went with tone and quality over everything else, and that happened to be Musicman.

I do understand those who want a 19mm, but I think personally I could adapt to anything.

IMO more options is always better. There comes a point where it's confusing if every little detail is hand picked by the end user. I don't think string spacing is that big a deal though, a company like EBMM that makes such unique instruments (let's face it, as a quick search on here will tell you, nothing sounds like a ray apart from a ray) would definitately benefit from the wider string spacing option in the long run.

Rays are like Warwicks in that they're great (unique) slap instruments but that are still well known brands used for all kinds of styles. Warwick makes the broadneck variants and while not as popular, they still sell, I'm sure rays with 19mm spacing would too given the time. If SB did the same deal but made it 6 months instead of 2 weeks, I doubt he'd struggle to get the 125 sales.

Ultimately of course he's given it a (slim) chance, maybe if there's enough interest he'll do the humble thing, admit his mistake and give it a better chance (if he doesn't get the 125 orders of course). Even though I'm not personally interested, I do think it'd be a shame if the amount of slappers that do and will want something like this get a chance at something to get one.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1286934' date='Jun 29 2011, 08:43 PM']I do understand those who want a 19mm, but I think personally I could adapt to anything.[/quote]

I have huge thumbs, if I wanted to double thumb, there's no way I could do it on my Ray5. I do love the slap sound of it (it actually made me grin like a cheshire cat when I slapped on my first gig with it).

I don't double thumb, hence not having interest in it personally. If I did though, the 19mm spacing would be great as physically to double thumb, my thumb is touching the string I'm hitting and the one next to it (even if I do it to test without moving), which makes it impossible as I can't get a defined string hit without muting the other.

[quote name='mcnach' post='1286927' date='Jun 29 2011, 08:34 PM']Blasphemy!!!! burn him! burn him aliiiive!!!![/quote]
I thought it was getting hot here......

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1286934' date='Jun 29 2011, 08:43 PM']I think its probably because they have a 4 month+ waiting list (and Ive been buying new from them for over 10 years now) and this wait always seems to be around this long. In fact, its got longer.[/quote]
That explains company view, maybe, but I mean from the fans attacking on TB. Quite often it was inferred if you couldn't play just as well on 17.5mm, maybe you lacked talent or dedication.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1286934' date='Jun 29 2011, 08:43 PM']5ers are still new to me, in all honesty. I tried 34", 35" and all different spacings. In the end, I went with tone and quality over everything else, and that happened to be Musicman.

I do understand those who want a 19mm, but I think personally I could adapt to anything.[/quote]
Some can adapt, sure, but some need that wide spacing, thin spacing, one scale or another, thick or thin necks, etc.

I actually have the reverse problem, I prefer 17.5mm, and can play on 18mm fine. But true widenecks are a major issue, I've carried wide 5ers to jams and ended up with major cramps before the session was over, and it wasn't due to being used to thinner spacing, as I began on wide spaced 5ers.

So if I can get someone in the states to buy and take delivery then I could get one?

Can someone send me the link to follow for these?

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1286914' date='Jun 29 2011, 08:23 PM']Still not read anything on either tb or the EBMM forum, Seems like the best bet :)[/quote]

Why not?

BTW Peter did you see this on Ebay today?

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140570221020&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:GB:1123"]Pre EB Stingray[/url]

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1287001' date='Jun 29 2011, 09:42 PM']Don't do it Mark! :)[/quote]

[quote name='Darkstrike' post='1286966' date='Jun 29 2011, 09:09 PM']That explains company view, maybe, but I mean from the fans attacking on TB.[/quote]

That's the thing that I find so weird.

Imagine I want to buy a pink VW Golf. It's not available, and I can drive any other colour, but I really like pink.
Imagine I ask the manufacturer/dealer about making a run of pink cars.
If they say no... fine, I will not have one.

But if by merely asking I got a bunch of Golf owners, with no other link to the matter than owning a VW Golf, telling me that no, I can't have pink and that's the way it is and I should just take it or leave it... I will probably be thinking "wtf are you?".

If then VW said "look, alright, we'll make a trial run, but we've got to get 125 orders in the next two weeks", I'd probably go "pity, I am not ready to buy just yet".
But imagine that then the same Golf owners, with no other link to the matter than owning a VW Golf, are then going on about how the opportunity is there and I should place the order already or shut up and go away... I will probably be thinking "what's wrong with this bunch of w***ers?"

That, more or less, is my take on the whole issue over there at TalkBass.

If I post a new topic saying "ah, I really want a Jazz bass with three pickups", and someone only replies to say "you won't get one, ner ner ner ner ner"... what would be your impression?
1) nice poster, not very helpful, but alright.
or
2) what a tosser :)

I can't argue with the company. They are there to make money. If they think, rightly or wrongly, that it's not in their interest to make a new model... fine, it's their company, the can do what they want. They're not supposed to satisfy my whims. I won't hold a grudge against them.
It's the "brown-nosed fanbois"... those I don't get and annoy the hell out of me. The thing is that while I largely stay out, some will say "oh yeah? well, and your ma... " etc etc. And it's doomed.

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' post='1287006' date='Jun 29 2011, 09:49 PM']Why not?

BTW Peter did you see this on Ebay today?

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140570221020&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:GB:1123"]Pre EB Stingray[/url][/quote]

I spend 23 hours a day on BC so I have no time for the other forums :)

That 77 is well nice although 2 pots changed and that case is not included! I wish I had bought a load of them old cases up before, It looks so snug in there :)

• 1 month later...